VeggieBoards banner

Do you physically feel better after becoming vegan?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  River 
#1 ·
I've heard people say that their skin clears up, they've lost weight, they feel more energized, etc...

This is assuming that you follow a balanced diet, as well. I know that 'healthy' can mean a lot of different things, and there are many factors that can contribute to feeling healthy, not just being vegan.

And YES, I know that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean that you're healthy. I just want to receive some of your input on if you feel healthier (and happier) since becoming vegan.

#2 ·
Hi Woofie - -
I am brand new to this - - so I am not sure I'm qualified to answer! I'm halfway into the 30 day Vegan challenge and I feel great! I like to cook and try new recipes so I havent really been eating anything processed - and that might help too. More than anything I'm eating tons of veggies and beans - - the beans keep me full - - i'm never hungry, noticed i'm snacking less and I think i may have lost a few pounds. I have more energy and I think I look better - - my skin mostly - - it was never bad but now I would swear it "glows"!

I'm sure theres lots of crappy junk food out there that is Vegan, so you are right that being vegan doenst = being healthy.

I was in a thrift shop last week and scored some vegan books - - Veganomicon (huge score - I love this book!) and Veganist (which is just ok, but does a really good job of telling you how GREAT you can feel on a vegan diet!)

GL to you!

#4 ·
I didn't start veg*nism for personal health reasons, but yes I'm definitely lighter, happier, healthier. No more headaches, knee aches, and I don't seem to catch the colds that others around me get. 20 pounds lighter round the midsection, and a massive guilty weight off my shoulders.

#5 ·
YES! I too have glowing skin despite only having gone vegan a few weeks ago ( was 'almost' vegan for a few months before that though) after experiencing the first acne I have in years, early last year. I too feel lighter and have more energy and stamina in general and I'm also without migraines , even when I sleep in ( which was a big trigger for me) and am sleeping better in general. I don't know if this is the avoidance of dairy or eating more of the other stuff but something is working!
I've also found my mood is a lot more balanced...or is that the increase in sleep
? And perhaps the increase in sleep is the more energy to run around ? Whoooo knows. I do know that barring the strange stomach ache I had for two weeks or so ( possibly unrelated and was feeling great apart from that) it's been awesome.

#8 ·
I felt super-healthy for like two weeks. I was full of energy and felt really fit; waking up feeling great, doing lots during the day, not a single ache or pain. It sort of settled down after that, but I still feel healthier than pre-vegan, and I'm still sleeping better and feel like I generally have more energy.

But, when I do something really unhealthy - like drinking a lot of alcohol - I do feel it more; as in, I feel worse after drinking than I used to, or after huge amounts of fast food. Probably something to do with my body not being as used to having crap in its systems, or feeling comparatively worse. I dunno. But again, this is probably a good thing, because I do those things less often just because of those feelings.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Hi Woofie - -
I am brand new to this - - so I am not sure I'm qualified to answer! I'm halfway into the 30 day Vegan challenge and I feel great! I like to cook and try new recipes so I havent really been eating anything processed - and that might help too. More than anything I'm eating tons of veggies and beans - - the beans keep me full - - i'm never hungry, noticed i'm snacking less and I think i may have lost a few pounds. I have more energy and I think I look better - - my skin mostly - - it was never bad but now I would swear it "glows"!

I'm sure theres lots of crappy junk food out there that is Vegan, so you are right that being vegan doenst = being healthy.

I was in a thrift shop last week and scored some vegan books - - Veganomicon (huge score - I love this book!) and Veganist (which is just ok, but does a really good job of telling you how GREAT you can feel on a vegan diet!)

GL to you!
Veganomican is like the bible of vegan cooking. Check out Vegan With A Vengence too. If you haven't tried the tofu scramble definitely do it!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post

I've heard people say that their skin clears up, they've lost weight, they feel more energized, etc...

This is assuming that you follow a balanced diet, as well. I know that 'healthy' can mean a lot of different things, and there are many factors that can contribute to feeling healthy, not just being vegan.

And YES, I know that being vegan doesn't necessarily mean that you're healthy. I just want to receive some of your input on if you feel healthier (and happier) since becoming vegan.
I felt like **** the first two weeks,

But I've never been happier or healthier since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.