VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't critize me, I'm new to vegetarian lifestyle. I'm taking things one step at a time. I will try to become pregnant soon and want to make sure I have a healthy diet while I learn.

I made a sandwich with it for my lunch tomorrow. we'll see. My point in my diet change is to stregthen my immunity. I just took at job in a daycare and since October, have been sick since (with the exception of a day or two here or there). We also have a close friend in his 30s who just found out he has an inoperable brain tumor. His wife was reading to us about the dangers of sodium nitrite and I knew I had to stop eating meat.

I began by adding more berries to my diet. Then cut out fried food. I've greatly cut back on dairy (still drinking slim fast optima for protein until I become acustomed to the veggie way).

Anyhow, I tried a slice of tofurky and my personal opinion is it tastes similar to what I imagine canned cat food would taste like.

Also, my 4 year old DOES like tofu...but she likes it straight from the fridge w/ salt on it. Is that safe or do I need to cook it?

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immunity View Post

Please don't critize me, I'm new to vegetarian lifestyle. I'm taking things one step at a time. I will try to become pregnant soon and want to make sure I have a healthy diet while I learn.

I made a sandwich with it for my lunch tomorrow. we'll see. My point in my diet change is to stregthen my immunity. I just took at job in a daycare and since October, have been sick since (with the exception of a day or two here or there). We also have a close friend in his 30s who just found out he has an inoperable brain tumor. His wife was reading to us about the dangers of sodium nitrite and I knew I had to stop eating meat.

I began by adding more berries to my diet. Then cut out fried food. I've greatly cut back on dairy (still drinking slim fast optima for protein until I become acustomed to the veggie way).

Anyhow, I tried a slice of tofurky and my personal opinion is it tastes similar to what I imagine canned cat food would taste like.

Also, my 4 year old DOES like tofu...but she likes it straight from the fridge w/ salt on it. Is that safe or do I need to cook it?

Thanks for your help!
You should at least steam the tofu for a toddler.

I'm not a big fan of tofurkey, try some field roast product if you can get them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

The tofurky roasts, NO! The tofurky sammich slices, YES! I cut up half a friggin' pack and put it on salad.
Ditto that and I'll add the beer and Italian sausages as perfectly edible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's pushing 10 years since I've had turkey, and I still have yet to try Tofurkey so I can't say if I like it or not. There are some meat subs. I like, though.

But as far as building your immune system, I doubt tofurkey is the way to go, so if you don't care for it, I wouldn't worry about eating it. Stick with the nutrient rich foods with plenty of anti-oxidants: berries, leafy greens, citrus, nuts, sweet potatoes, all that sort of thing.

Oh, and if you're just trying to figure out what to put on a sandwich now that you're a vegetarian, I like plenty of veggies with baked marinated tofu or hummus.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The roasts are a big hit in my household. We had one for Thanksgiving, one for Xmas, and we were both off on MLK day so we made yet another!

I've never had the sausage or slices, but the jerky is quite tough.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I haven't tried tofurkey yet. The name just seems so goofy. It's the type of thing that meat eaters make fun of. I've only been a vegetarian for a few weeks, so I haven't had a chance to try all types of veggie foods yet, and this just isn't at the top of my list.

As for healthy eating in general, though, I really like soy milk. I hadn't tried it before going veggie, but I like it better than cow milk, and it's healthier. Check out the book "The New Becoming Vegetarian" for lots of nutrition suggestions for managing your diet, including special sections on pregnancy, lactating, small children, and infants. I'm about halfway through reading it now.

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think the Tofurkey roast is gross.

I love the tofurkey brand slices thought they are good!

I agree with Sarah, if you are trying to eat healthier to be healthy just concentrate on whole foods, lots of veggies, greens, fruits, nuts, seeds,

also a flax oil is an immune booster.......i put it in my kids smoothies esp in winter........

remember also where you work.....LOTS of handwashing! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts