VeggieBoards banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
i have learnt french for almost 9 years now. but im no way fluent. im dropping it next year at shcool but hoping to start it up out of shcool.

my grandad was polish and i have always wanted to speak the language bcause of that.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I want to but I can never stay inspired.

I started to learn Spanish because my late husband could speak it... I thought it'd be fun if we could gossip about people in some other language.

Then I thought it'd be fun to learn German. Not sure why.

And then... I started chatting with a Swedish guy and he'd phone me now and then. He wanted me to learn Swedish... I started to learn, but it was too hard to form some of the words.

I was going to try to learn Africaans so I could understand what my boyfriend says to people when they call. But that's an ugly language.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Riceboy, can you explain to me the difference between Gaelic and Gailge(spelled wrong probably, sorry)?

i know someone from Ireland living in Scotland, but originally from Hong Kong. i bet he has an interesting accent anyway
but he's always going on about the two not being the same but won't give me straight answers as to why. short attention span

i think german would be easier to learn than japanese, i used to flip through my mom's old german dictionaries and it doesn't seem all that hard, and would make it easier to learn a ton of other germanic languages.

also if you learned latin first you could easily learn other latin-based languages

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am learning spanish right now... well, for the past 3 years. Here's an example of my spanish (please cut me some slack, I'm not a gramatical person.. and it's kinda random lol )

"Espero que la guerra termine pronto, creo que sÃ* nosotros establezcamos la paz mundial. Ojalá que nos acabemos fábrica crÃ*a y protegemos el medio ambiente. Espero que nosotros eliminemos el hambre enfantil. Quiero que protegemos los especies en peligro de extinción!"

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slynny

Can you do Scottish???? Some can be really hard to understand...specially for Americans

Did any of you see that episode of "Sex and the City" where the Scottish cousin comes over for the wedding, and at first no one can understand a word he says? Then Samantha seduces him. And after that, she alone can understand every word he says, effortlessly and perfectly!

That was quite a gag. The funniest part for me was when I turned on the "close captioning" and replayed the part where the Scot was speaking. Blimey! Every word was in standard English! He just pronounced everything with such a thick accent and in such an odd way that I could not understand it at all. But it was all perfectly good English. That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
i know a little (read: very small) french... and i've picked up a few words of spanish from my girlfriend and my trip to Guatemala...

anyone wanting pictures, let me know... i'll be happy to share both pics and stories...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.