VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know a second language? If so, what one? When you learn it? And was it difficult?

I've been thinking about learning a second language, but I cannot seem to decide on what one. I'm divided equally on German, Chinese, Russian, Polish, and Arabic (probably eastern). Arabic does have slight lead because it's the most difficult, and with my current interests in forensic science (law enforcement), law, and politics, it could come as an advantage depending which path I take when I decide a career.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lived in China for 7 years. My hubby can speak, read, and write in Mandarin. I can a only speak enough to ask directions, order food, have simple/superficial conversations etc.

Here is a start:

Ni Ma Da --a very dirty phrase ...hehe

Wo Ai Ni --I love you

Zai Jian -Good Bye

Ni Hao -Hello

Xi Zao -bath

Mu tou -wood

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took Spanish, but I forgot most of it. I also forgot all the Korean and Polish I learned. Only the basics in these languages.

LadyFaile: That's sounds like a good idea. But, I'm unsure about what language is similar to Arabic. Maybe Aramaic, Greek, or Hebrew? All of which I would love to learn to help me further explore my interest in religion.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

odd coincidence i just have to point out, my mom's first language is german but she doesn't remember any now, and her screen name is MsMouse

(Maybe I AM your mother--I think I'm old enough.
)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a lil Spanish in H.S. and I lived in Italy for a bit and learned a decent amount of Italian there. I can usually understand it and can speak it fairly well, but I'm not the best with the grammar when I try to speak the language.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You have to get used to budda's twisted sense of humor
, skylark: he was making a play on bi vs. hetero, as in -sexual.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Finnish, English, Swedish, French, Spanish, German (in order of excellence
) Us Scandinavians have to learn lots of languages if we want anyone to understand us.
Heehee. Anyway, I took English, Swedish and French in school and Spanish and German just came from somewhere. I'm fluent only in Finnish and English (almost at least
), Swedish is quite OK but the rest could do with a brush-up. I also know some phrases in Italian and Malay

Oh and Finnish most resembles the Hungarian language which Oatmeal described above

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
i have learnt french for almost 9 years now. but im no way fluent. im dropping it next year at shcool but hoping to start it up out of shcool.

my grandad was polish and i have always wanted to speak the language bcause of that.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
i know a little (read: very small) french... and i've picked up a few words of spanish from my girlfriend and my trip to Guatemala...

anyone wanting pictures, let me know... i'll be happy to share both pics and stories...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts