VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
English is my third language. Not that I am very much into languages, but as I slowly worked my way through from eastern europe, I had to to learn the language of the people around me.

Learning was not difficult, I learned German (was gibt's neues, mouse?) from TV and reading, but mostly TV. English was for me (and is) an absolutely important language, as it is the language of science, technology and business. I always read a lot of sci-tech, so I pretty soon could understand technical papers. Later I picked up the rest thru TV, movies and reading.

The difficult thing was that at first I was very shy. Now I don't give it much thought, I just communicate ;-)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Apple....

since you are looking for a difficult language to learn, may I plug my own? It is VERY difficult. I don't know how useful it would be for you, though.

"The Hungarian language ranks 40th among world languages with regard to the number of those who speak it as their mother tongue and 12th among European languages. It is interesting to note that in 1996 Hungarian was taught at 84 universities in 32 countries. The Hungarian language is one of those with a long-standing literary tradition: its first linguistic record is the Tihany Abbey Deed of Foundation originating from 1055.

Hungarian is an agglutinative language (from the verb 'to glue'), which means that it expresses grammatical relationships principally through suffixes and pre-fixes. Computer analysis has shown that Hungarian has some 27 billion inflected, affixed words and word fragments. Hungarian is apparently the most difficult language in Europe, and the third most difficult language in the world."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts