VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know a second language? If so, what one? When you learn it? And was it difficult?

I've been thinking about learning a second language, but I cannot seem to decide on what one. I'm divided equally on German, Chinese, Russian, Polish, and Arabic (probably eastern). Arabic does have slight lead because it's the most difficult, and with my current interests in forensic science (law enforcement), law, and politics, it could come as an advantage depending which path I take when I decide a career.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know some french, thanks to the crappy french immursion school i went to. they taught us the wrong dialect, but whatever.

pick something easy at first, cause once you learn a language or two it's easier to branch out into others, a lot of languages are very similar, like i can understand some spanish because it's very similar to french in some aspects.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I used to be good at Japanese in high school, but haven't used it for ages so hardly remember anything. I could relearn it easily though, but I have no-one to practice with.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lived in China for 7 years. My hubby can speak, read, and write in Mandarin. I can a only speak enough to ask directions, order food, have simple/superficial conversations etc.

Here is a start:

Ni Ma Da --a very dirty phrase ...hehe

Wo Ai Ni --I love you

Zai Jian -Good Bye

Ni Hao -Hello

Xi Zao -bath

Mu tou -wood

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
konichiwa!

erm....

hajimema****e, watashi wa LadyFaile desu, dozo yoroshiku.

that's about all i know, i took an introductory class in college as an elective, we didn't learn much of the language, just how to read and pronounce words but not what they mean or how to put them in a sentence LOL

i might try to learn more one of these days though, i still have all my old notes and am thinking of going back and re-learning it all, as little as it is.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Watashi no namae wa suteeshi desu.

I can remember fragments, but not enough to really construct a sentence beyond doko ni ikimasu ka. LOL

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know i know what that means but can't remember

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
odd coincidence i just have to point out, my mom's first language is german but she doesn't remember any now, and her screen name is MsMouse

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I speak english. I also speak good american, and i'm known for speaking fluent Australian.

I also have a good understanding of Londoners. Sometimes, it's difficult to tell whatt hey're saying, since in london, it is actually almost a completely different language altogether. But I can't really speak in any kind of London language.

Actually i don't know any languages, just a few obscure english dialects!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took Spanish, but I forgot most of it. I also forgot all the Korean and Polish I learned. Only the basics in these languages.

LadyFaile: That's sounds like a good idea. But, I'm unsure about what language is similar to Arabic. Maybe Aramaic, Greek, or Hebrew? All of which I would love to learn to help me further explore my interest in religion.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

odd coincidence i just have to point out, my mom's first language is german but she doesn't remember any now, and her screen name is MsMouse

(Maybe I AM your mother--I think I'm old enough.
)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
English and Spanish, though I'm much much better at English. I'm so excited that some of the newbies are also into Spanish. Michael, if you see a bunch of PMs going back and forth that have titles you don't understand, it may well be that the entire PM is in Spanish. Hmmm... keeping info from select people seems so....Vulcan!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Apple,

You may want to ask a languages prof or teacher for advice on those specific languages if no one here knows anything about that. A prof at my college would be an excellent person to talk to, if you need to later.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
English is my third language. Not that I am very much into languages, but as I slowly worked my way through from eastern europe, I had to to learn the language of the people around me.

Learning was not difficult, I learned German (was gibt's neues, mouse?) from TV and reading, but mostly TV. English was for me (and is) an absolutely important language, as it is the language of science, technology and business. I always read a lot of sci-tech, so I pretty soon could understand technical papers. Later I picked up the rest thru TV, movies and reading.

The difficult thing was that at first I was very shy. Now I don't give it much thought, I just communicate ;-)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
he reads our PM's?

mouse, you can't be cause my mom would never call herself catlovin'. cat-toleratin' more like.

though wierder yet, your profile says you're in missouri, and most of my mom's immediate family live in KC and area

creepy

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Apple....

since you are looking for a difficult language to learn, may I plug my own? It is VERY difficult. I don't know how useful it would be for you, though.

"The Hungarian language ranks 40th among world languages with regard to the number of those who speak it as their mother tongue and 12th among European languages. It is interesting to note that in 1996 Hungarian was taught at 84 universities in 32 countries. The Hungarian language is one of those with a long-standing literary tradition: its first linguistic record is the Tihany Abbey Deed of Foundation originating from 1055.

Hungarian is an agglutinative language (from the verb 'to glue'), which means that it expresses grammatical relationships principally through suffixes and pre-fixes. Computer analysis has shown that Hungarian has some 27 billion inflected, affixed words and word fragments. Hungarian is apparently the most difficult language in Europe, and the third most difficult language in the world."

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took a lil Spanish in H.S. and I lived in Italy for a bit and learned a decent amount of Italian there. I can usually understand it and can speak it fairly well, but I'm not the best with the grammar when I try to speak the language.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I studied french at university but other than possibly being good on a Canadian resume, it does me no good since I can hardly speak and reading and writting is a chore.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts