VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For folks who share their bed, do you sleep on the same side all the time? When your bed mate is gone, do you stay on your side or roll around?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I usually sleep on the right. My late cat, Jessie, had a box on the left side. I still sleep on the right. When I had a mate, he slept on the right and I on the left (and Jessie on the floor
). I'm not sure why that was.

11,550 Posts
i have a side for sleeping on, my bf gets up 4 hours before me for work, and i don't want him traipsing about noisily near me when he does- so he gets the side nearest the closet and the door, i get the laptop and the window on my side.

the minute he's out of bed, its all 100% my bed and i spread over every inch of it -apparently its all mine when i'm sleeping too (he insists he gets an inch of bed and has to hold onto it for dear life all night with no blankets either- but what can i do about it? i'm sleeping it's not my fault! lol) -so good luck to him when he just gets up to pee and attempts to get back into bed afterwards- he's taking a risk.

just to be difficult, i have the other side of the bed for non sleeping/cuddling activities, though, cos poor bf gets a sore neck if he has to lean to the right to kiss me, and it just feels weird. awwwww.

when i'm not there, (when i'm in the UK) and he's all alone in his bed, he says he always wakes up and finds himself squished up on my side of the bed with his face in my pillow, wich smells like my shampoo, which i think is really sweet. when i'm not with him, i'm in a single bed, and it feels horrid and weird and cold and lonely, but with lots more blankets and no snoring to balance it out, lol.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oddly enough we do have sides..I sleep on the left side of the bed, but I sit on the right side of the couch when we watch tv and movies lol.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yes we have our own sides, I always sleep nearest to the door even though he is the one who has to get up at 4 am, i guess it is left over from the days when the children were tiny and I needed to be closest to the door to get to them at night when they cried

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I sleep on the left, and my kitty Pan sleeps half on top of my left leg, which results in me moving over to the right during the night and then after a while me and my bf are both on the right and Pan is on the left. Luckily she tends to get up and down a lot during the night otherwise my bf would end up on the floor.

When he's not there I start off on the left and then end up in the middle, thanks again to Pan.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

We each have our own sides. And if he's awake before I am, I end up spreading out.
Yeah, that's us too. I'm (I think at least) pretty good about sharing, but when he gets up in the a.m., my hands and feet wander.

Tonight, as the other half is out of town, I'm delaying going upstairs, but I know I'll wake up in the morning sprawled out all over, enjoying the whole of the bed. But completely sleeping on the other side, well, that would just be weird.

·
Registered
995 Posts
How come everyone has these polite pets that sleep beside them or something?

I wake up and I can not move because there isa cat on my chest, one on my tummy, one on my arm and generaly at least 2 on my legs

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yeah, that's us too. I'm (I think at least) pretty good about sharing, but when he gets up in the a.m., my hands and feet wander.

Tonight, as the other half is out of town, I'm delaying going upstairs, but I know I'll wake up in the morning sprawled out all over, enjoying the whole of the bed. But completely sleeping on the other side, well, that would just be weird.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine sleeping on the other side... you get used to your own side! Although spreading out is nice, so you have lots of extra room. Sometimes he (playfully) makes fun of how I look when I do that - one hand over here, a leg over there, it looks kinda funny.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
We definitely have sides. Basically mine is "farthest from the door". Something about protecting me or somesuch. Scarier even is the fact that when I'm not in bed he doesn't sleep on my side, but he does arrange the pillows in a sort of "pseudo-rincaro" while he's sleeping!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I always sleep on the right, but I also did that when I was a teenager and had a double bed. I just don't like sleeping in the middle, or on the left side for some reason.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I sleep on the Left and Brett sleeps on the Right.

The reason for this is quite simple. Our room is in the attic, so it has sloped ceilings. I am about 9" shorter than Brett, so it is easier for me to sit up in bed/get in and out of bed with the lower ceiling than it is for him. However, I'm heat seeking and usually end up sleeping on his side WITH him. He falls asleep on his left side on the edge of the bed, then at night rolls onto his back onto me. Oof.

Other common configurations include:

Brett on right, me in middle, Atticus (cat) on left.

Brett on right, me on left, Monchichi (other cat) in between.

Or... Monchichi on my pillow, Monchichi AND Atticus on my pillow (I don't get a pillow some nights), Monchichi on my chest, Monchichi on the foot of the bed or between Brett's legs... or my legs... Monchichi and Atticus at the foot of the bed, at my feet, with me curled up in a ball, and any time I kick them I get a dirty look.

I do spread out if Brett gets up before me in the morning.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Yep, I'm always on the left side and the dogs are on the right or bottom. That's because I keep the computer next to my bed, and I always go online before falling asleep, and the window's on the right side of the bed so the dogs can look out the window if they want while I'm sleeping. [picture]

But yeah, I do spread out a bit more when I kick the dogs off the bed.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

[picture]
Oof, that's one unhappy cramped stickman there! Looks like some pretty close quarters.

We do have definite sides, because I insist on lying to his left. I often wind up in the middle curled up with him, and then the cats tend to take over my side. He complains that he winds up squished onto a quarter of the bed, with me and the cats each taking up more than a third.

PS: Oh, yeah, I still sleep on my side even when he's out of town. Last night I moved to the middle, and it was weird. There's a noticeable ridge in the middle of the bed. I think I was back to my side by the time I fell asleep.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I sleep solo these days, but I still sleep on the right side, just like I did when I was in a relationship. Even though there's nobody there, I still don't sleep on the other side. I usually have at least 2 cats on that side, most nights. Arlo sleeps with his front leg and head on the pillow like a person would.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
We generally keep to one side because that's where our 'bedside stuff' is but we also don't have a problem swapping sides occassionally. It doesn't bother us really, we go both ways...he he

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I sleep on my right side, and on the right side of the bed. Right now I have crates of files, notebooks, books, and all kinds of other junk occupying the left side of the bed, yes, even when I'm asleep.

P.S. Does this mean--in addition to all the other difficulties of finding a mate--that I have to find a woman who likes to sleep on the left side of the bed?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts