VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to avoid an idiotic arguement? I find myself doing this lately, because for some reason, just recently my family especially seems to either forget or not care I'm vegan. So they offer me something cheesey or something with eggs, ( eg, a cupcake) and I politely decline, reminding them I'm vegan, and they get offended, and say something like, "Oh, god... It's just pizza. You can have a little cheese."
When I try to explain, politely why I don't WANT a little cheese, they say, "Oh whatever... you're such a fanatic." Or, "I don't care about the animals" Or even something like, "That's stupid." So recently I just usually say, "I'm on a diet" and they accept that... I friggin hate close-minded uneducated people. Sorry, ranting a little today I guess. This comes after we had some people over the other day, and my hubby ordered some pizza, and after me asking him to ask the pizza guy if the dough contained any dairy or eggs, and if it didn't, then order one with veggies and no cheese.... well, the pizza gets there, there was a veggie pizza with cheese, and my hubby says, oh, they said the dough wasn't vegan... but he didn't even ask them, according to my mom. He then tells me he didn't understand what I was saying.
My own husband... anyway, sorry people, ranting again.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
How very frustrating that must be for you! Rant away! I'm sure I would feel the same as you do if my family didn't support my vegan choices. I just think it's really hard for some omnis to 'get it'. You are probably better off trying to avoid the conflict.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I did that at my very recent former job at the deli. It wasn't worth arguing with the customers who were going to get a huge meaty, cheesy sandwich anyway. The other veg*ns I worked with did the same thing. Each of us got yelled at by some fanatical omni at least once because we mentioned our not eating meat.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Yes I did that a lot for a while. Part of it was because of a fanatic person at the Farm Sanctuary who was basically a deviant social outcast (mentally ill?) IHO who made AR look bad. Her name was Vicky something or other.

I didn't want to be associated with people like that. Indeed I was so turned off that I quit being an activist. I was really serious about making it my career at one time to work in animal rescue. Well before this person came into my life.

Here's some things she did. She brought along her dog who kept up awake at night in the shared living quarters. Her dog would be barking loudly at all hours of the night. I was working there and needed my sleep.

Her dog who would threaten us and had a history of biting. She told me that a dog has a right to be biting people. Because apparently dogs have this right you know to bite people whenever they feel like it. She would come to where I was working because I complained about her dog causing problems and harrass me.

Because her noisy dog kept me awake at night, my low blood suger was acting up during work over lack of sleep. So I took out a candy bar that I got for free somewhere to snack on and she came over to scream bloody murder at me because my candy bar might possibly not be vegan( She never checked, just assumed). In general she just made my work life there so miserable that I quit my job.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think I do the opposite. I don't definitely don't push it in people's faces, and I'm never rude, but I like getting people to think about what they're eating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
When I say I am vegan, they dont know what it is. But they think im vegetarian (I guess it sounds the same!?). They'll say "oh you dont eat meat." But then I have to go on explaining that I dont eat animal by-product or anything from live animal. "oh."

I have had family friend teasing me the same way as the OP, but you know, I'll still argue.. I am tryin to get the message across. "You dont like it, then shutup!" But I am not rude or will never ever force it on someone else. I am vegan for myself and only for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I think I do the opposite. I don't definitely don't push it in people's faces, and I'm never rude, but I like getting people to think about what they're eating.
i do the same^^^ i'm not ashamed, or scared or annoyed by confrontation.

i'm nonchalant about it. if they get feisty, i stomp on their foot or poke them in the eye and that usually takes the wind out of their sails.

a really direct " I don't question what you eat. how about you do the same?"with eye contact usually does the trick if you aren't up to physical violence.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I don't usually make a point of bringing it up, but don't avoid the issue. I've been doing some placements in different places the past few months, so I like to not say anything and see how long it takes people to notice. I'll bring my vegan meals for a few days, or a week or two, then someone (probably noticing a lot of bean dishes) will ask me if I'm vegetarian, then I'll fess up. The best part about this is it doesn't give them a reason to prejudge my food. I've been very lucky with my most recent placement, though (side note: it was the pescatarian who picked up on it first
) . I'll get some nice comments about how good my meal looks/smells, etc. I've had comments about how they respect what I'm doing, and have even had requests for good recipes / cookbooks. So I've been extremely lucky, and I adore the people I've been working with because of it. (Yes, they are even ok with my veganism and I have at least one person seriously considering how dairy might be adversely affecting them after explaining my history with the stuff).

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
somtimes if im not in the mood, ill just say "i'm not hungry" insted of opening the big ol can of worms.

...of course this is usualy at events that have no veg options, which i was aware of, and ate before hand, so i guess i really wasn't hungry.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got in to the (subconscious) habbit of telling people that "I don't eat meat" rather then saying I'm vegetarian.. I guess it must be cause if you say you're veg people automatically ask a billion questions.. but yeah I'm just a weirdo.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I don't mention it unless it's necessary or I am asked. When someone offers me something, I just say "No, thank you."

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Yes I did that a lot for a while. Part of it was because of a fanatic person at the Farm Sanctuary who was basically a deviant social outcast (mentally ill?) IHO who made AR look bad. Her name was Vicky something or other.

I didn't want to be associated with people like that. Indeed I was so turned off that I quit being an activist. I was really serious about making it my career at one time to work in animal rescue. Well before this person came into my life.
I find that really unfortunate that you would stop being an activist and change your career plans because of one person you didn't like or who was difficult. I'm sure that every field or issue has some unpleasant people in it. But if you really want/wanted to work for animals, you should think through why you would be one less advocate because of the way some human acts. It's not about the humans, it's about the animals.

I have met a couple terribly cruel and disrespectful activists who treated me and others horribly - honestly far more injuriously than the story you describe. My experience with them was one of the most negative in my life. But that doesn't make me lose sight of what must be done for the animals.

I'm happy to tell people that I'm vegan

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

I don't mention it unless it's necessary or I am asked. When someone offers me something, I just say "No, thank you."
Yeah, that's pretty much my story. I'll tell them after I've already politely delcined and they keep pushing food on me or ask why I "don't waaaaaant some yummy cheesy-random-thing or other."

But yeah, I usually don't say anything unless the subject comes up in casual conversation with a stranger/acquaintance. To me, such an ordinary every day part of my life (and also a very personal aspect) that it's like me just blurting out in mid-conversation "I'm wearing green panties today!!" - in most cases, they don't care, or they think it's unnecessary

·
Registered
0 Posts
If I know I am talking to someone who isn't going to listen, or if I can't be bothered explaining, I will tell them I have a dairy intollerance (which is actually true, it triggers my asthma).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sometimes I mention that I am a vegan, sometimes I don't.

Last night I was getting gas. I went inside to pay and the cashier slid a paper bag towards me. He said that seeing as they were closing in a couple minutes he was giving away the unpurchased chicken they had cooked from the deli.

When I said I was not hungry he said to just put it in the fridge and eat it tommorrow.

At this point in time I said that I don't eat chicken, to which he responded "who doesn't eat chicken?"

"Vegetarians"

"Well excuse me, for trying to be nice."

In hind sight saying I was a Veg*n right from the start would saved me 40 seconds out of my life.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to go as long as I can to not tell people I meet the I'm vegetarian. I started a new job in March and went a couple months without telling them, and then one day we were talking about food and I told them. They did their thing everyday for like 2 weeks! Finally they stopped talking about it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
i don't mention it unless it comes up for some reason, and then yeah, for some reason i do like what absolut said and just say "i don't eat meat". it's not really like out of shame or fear of argument or anything, it's just like, not really a big deal for me. on the rare occasions someone does give me hell about it, my response is something to the effect of "yay, freedom of choice!" and not continuing that particular conversation

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I don't tell people I'm a vegetarian until it comes up for some reason. I was at my friend Allie's house with a bunch of other young adults on Sunday, and in the course of group conversation around the snack table, Allie asked me, "Hey, you're a vegetarian, right?"

"Yup, going on six and a half years now," I replied. I'm not even sure why she thought of it because all of the food was lacto-ovo friendly. No one asked me why I'm a vegetarian, but if the had, I would probably have said, "I decided I didn't want to be a part of the unnecessary cruelty in the meat industry."

·
Registered
38 Posts
People are on a need to know basis. But if it comes up, I'll usually tell them I'm vegetarian (even though I just recently decided to go vegan again, yay!). So far, I haven't had any problems with that. That is, aside from hearing, "Oh, 'cmon, it's not going to kill you to eat a little meat!" Grr...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts