VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that Oreos are vegan, but on their FAQ they mention that Oreo are not suitable for the vegan diet because of cross contact with milk. I know that milk isn't an ingredient in Oreos, but I don't want to cheat on my choice of diet. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
American Oreos are vegan unless you count the sugar which is most likely refined with bone char. European Oreos are not vegan as they use a different recipe that uses whey or something else milk derived. Eating something vegan that's made on equipment that also handles dairy shouldn't really be a concern. I don't let it bother me and I'm sure at least 90% of other vegans would agree.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've heard that Oreos are vegan, but on their FAQ they mention that Oreo are not suitable for the vegan diet because of cross contact with milk. I know that milk isn't an ingredient in Oreos, but I don't want to cheat on my choice of diet. What do you guys think?
Why would you eat something that's most likely loaded with GMO's and processed chemicals? That defeats the whole point of trying to eat healthy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
for many people the point of veganism is not health, but ethics. a person could eat a very unhealthy diet but be content with it so long as it met their code of ethics. if you feel alright eating oreos, do it. ethics should be between you and yourself, not you and a message board. don't worry about 'cheating on your diet.' you can't cheat because no one is grading you. just do what feels right

·
Registered
92 Posts
They're vegan, as far as I know, but I don't eat them because of the processed sugar and the chemicals in them.
I short, I don't eat them because they're crap.
Honestly, though, I don't crave them like I used to, and if you get into the habit of eating good, wholesome vegan foods, oreos won't appeal to you like they used to. They'll taste too sweet, and you'll have a few before realizing that you don't really want them anymore. (At least that's what happened to me, anyway).

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I eat Oreos. They're a fun treat.

Eating a treat now and then won't kill you. I can understand avoiding unhealthy foods if you want but eating a cookie now and then will not "defeat the whole point of trying to eat healthy."

Some people are actually capable of doing things in moderation. Some aren't. But that's an individual thing. Just like how some people can drink alcohol every now and then (a glass of wine with dinner twice a month) yet others are alcoholics. Something similar is true about sugar.

In regards to the veganess of Oreos and sugar - theres a myth in the vegan community about bone char sugar. It's not the most common form of sugar so we shouldn't assume it is. Oreos are probably less than 50% likely to contain bone char sugar. In other words, they're more likely totally vegan than not.

·
Registered
727 Posts
In north america about 50% of sugar is from beets and 50% is from cane. Only about half the cane sugar made is "inverted" which is processed using bone char. Most companies will buy sugar from multiple sources and mix it all up together. That's what I know about sugar.

·
Registered
312 Posts
interesting point about sugar.

I think the point about the healthy aspect of a vegan diet is also interesting. While no one wants to eat a completely crap diet, a lot of vegans do like to keep things healthy. As you say, Oreos, now and then won't kill a person.

Perhaps we have a difference with age too. Just a theory. I find that most people my age eat a bit healthier than they did when they were young. (but some older people still eat a crap diet). When I was young I ate mostly what I wanted but no longer. That is a good thing and a sad thing.

So I say eat Oreos and other stuff as treats and don't feel guilty.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
While no one wants to eat a completely crap diet...
:huh:
I take it you dont know very many people?
I've known a great many who were fanatical crapatarians, even after finding out that it would kill them (no exaggeration).

While I agree with Elaine that a cookie every month isnt likely to markedly reduce quality or quantity of life, for myself I chose to abstain from them 100% because after carefully watching myself for years it was clear that proliferating the desire for junk food in any way was conductive to stress. Few people who really enjoy a cookie every month are perfectly content to only have one cookie per month.
...that and I may have to take care of a child some day. I find the idea of a child seeing me eat crap, and deciding that eating crap must therefore be ok, to be entirely repugnant.

·
Registered
312 Posts
oooh I love the term crapatarians. At my age, nearly 60, most of my friends are not crapatarians, but they probably were. I wasn't too much a crapatarian after maybe 35, but my husband still has his crapatarian moments.

Anyhow this is such a great word I just want to use it over and over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts