Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other – Please explain in post if you'd like to

Votes: 3 6.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been my assumption that there are more who do activism on here than I probably realize because they just don't talk about it. While I've seen others who seem to operate on the assumption that no one else here but a few few small few do any sort of activism. It often makes me wonder which assumption is more accurate.

So I started a poll so people can vote anonymously.

By the way, this is all in reference to legal activism. Please do not talk about doing anything illegal here.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Yes. I do a ton of Vegan/Veggie outreach, I'm a signature gatherer for Yes! on 1130, and in the evenings on days I dont work I hand out food to homeless in the light house mission, as well as getting people involved in Birth Right! To Yisrael.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I've done moonlight leafleting for the past couple of years but I stopped a few months ago. The only activism I'm doing at the moment is wearing a lot of vegan and AR type of t-shirts.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I do leafleting, tabling, feed-ins, demos/protests, blogging, etc.
But I don't really like the words activism or activist.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nope, and I wonder if you'd get more accurate results in the general discussion area - I barley ever look at this forum, activism-inclinded people probally frequent here more often?

Interesting poll though, I have wondered how many veg*ans are activists too.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I leaflet, and help fund other leafleters with small monthly donations. More of the latter than the former lately because of my work schedule and lack of vacation days. If another vegan asked me my opinion on the best use of their time and resources when it comes to helping animals I'd recommend The Animal Activist's Handbook by Matt Ball and Bruce Friedrich as a starting point. It's the reason I decided I personally wanna focus on leafleting, and college leafleting in specific. It's by no means the only effective possible use of my activism potential, of course. It suits me best, and I agree strongly with the practical ideology behind it*, so that's what I do and what I promote.

*We southerners are a pragmatic lot. We work hard, but no more than necessary, and we enjoy our leisure time as much as anyone. I'd just as soon kick back with a big ol' glass of sweet tea than burn out by spending every minute of every weekend holding signs and shouting slogans on the streets. Luckily, by using well illustrated and well cited booklets and distributing them among the audience most perceptive to progressive new ideas, I can get the best of both worlds as both an activist and a southern man of leisure.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I do vegan outreach (leaflets), I hold benefits for Sea Shepherd, I host vegan potlucks where people get together and plan other ways to get out into the community. I attend protests (seal hunt, fur trade, fois gras, etc), I have hosted meetings to oppose the culling of deer and rabbits in our community, etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I do leafleting, tabling, feed-ins, demos/protests, blogging, etc.
But I don't really like the words activism or activist.
I agree on the word 'activist'... I think that some people can get too self-indulgent about the activist label and it can put people off... I see it as participation, not a label. A lot of people seem to associate 'activism' with 'activists', which can deter them from getting involved because they don't see themselves as an 'activist'. Also, it can restrict communication in a way because if you call yourself an activist, people may view you as having an agenda and be less receptive, rather than you being the same as them and having an open and honest conversation, rooted in compassion and a want for social change.

I've been doing some things for years... I admit, I haven't done as much animal rights as I'd like. I'm currently a shop steward, also get involved in anti-cuts stuff in the UK at the moment. This involves leafleting, networking, meetings, demonstrations and educating people at ground level. Hoping to help organise a fundraiser soon.
When things quieten down, I'd like to do some hunt sabbing (which is legal in the UK, dunno about other places).

·
Registered
0 Posts
I do online stuff and post alot of stuff I believe in on my facebook wall. I know that sounds lame but I'm a single mom and don't have the time or the resources to get out there on the streets. And umm I live in Texas where we all have guns. I'm not going onto property that I don't own without an invite. :-D

However, one thing I'm becoming very very motivated and concerned about is the company Monsanto and the fact that the FDA is pretty much worthless and is probably doing more harm that good. I've been doing a lot of research and this company is EVIL and gets away with some pretty nasty stuff. If there was something I'd go door to door about, it's probably that.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

I don't participate in any formal activism, but if the subject comes up I certainly defend my position.
This.

I don't like being preached at by others, so I don't preach to them, unless provoked.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I go to demos/protest/leafleting/petition signing online and in real life
I made signs for the demo I put together last month, I thought they looked terrible but everyone else was really impressed with them
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
24 Posts
I make art and I also write film reviews and news on animal rights and the environment. I'm hoping soon to put together an animal-rights/vegan film festival event in my area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bake A LOT of vegan food (cupcakes, muffins. slices etc) and take them into work and to my friend's houses and share them as much as possible. I make a point of saying they are vegan (after they've eaten some, otherwise a lot of people I know would just refuse to touch it), and everyone so far has been very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if this counts as activism though...

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganosaurus Rex View Post

I bake A LOT of vegan food (cupcakes, muffins. slices etc) and take them into work and to my friend's houses and share them as much as possible. I make a point of saying they are vegan (after they've eaten some, otherwise a lot of people I know would just refuse to touch it), and everyone so far has been very pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if this counts as activism though...
I do that a lot too!!!

I think it counts. Its getting the word out that vegan means TASTY and NORMAL. And that can make a lot of negative perspectives on Vegan food turn to positive, so really, it's a very effective means of activism, I think!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I do that a lot too!!!

I think it counts. Its getting the word out that vegan means TASTY and NORMAL. And that can make a lot of negative perspectives on Vegan food turn to positive, so really, it's a very effective means of activism, I think!
Yeah, I bake a couple of cakes and slices that my friends and co-workers think are AMAZING, it was wonderful when they first found out they were vegan and didn't believe me. The shock and realisation on their faces was amazing, and it generated a lot of conversation!

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I wanted to bump this because it's a good thread.

I play a game on Facebook called Cupcake Corner, and they just released a circus decoration series with the words "The Greatest Show On Earth" as the title of the album showcasing those decorations. So I wrote a letter on their "Get Satisfaction!" feedback area explaining why I was disappointed with their choice of items as they are promoting and celebrating circuses, which are nothing but allowance for abuse. I just posted it, so no response yet, but I'm pretty proud of myself for doing that, since I'm more of a silent activist (leaving leaflets in areas, sharing links and information on Facebook, Reddit, DeviantArt, Stumble Upon, news articles, etc.).

So yeah. I'd say I'm an online activist.

Edit: Oooh. Looks like I found myself a debate over there with users. Fantastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts