VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, following a long discussion ( or rather, me eating dinner whilst two friends with polarising views, both in nutrition-based fields of work, debated this ) on the issue whether you count calories or 'eat intuitively' or have a rough idea of how much you 'should' be eating?

I've always come from the old school theory that says if you're hungry, keep eating, if you're not hungry, don't eat, there is much wisdom about the existence of calories and I don't disbelieve that but I figure it'll balance itself out ( overeat one day , less hungry the next day etc ) . Plus part of me doesn't really believe we all need the same amount of food ( plus or minus more or less for weight and size etc ) anyway.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Nope, never counted calories and I probably never will. I eat when I'm hungry. However, I found that there are much better lower calorie foods to get full on than the SAD.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassette View Post

Just curious, following a long discussion ( or rather, me eating dinner whilst two friends with polarising views, both in nutrition-based fields of work, debated this ) on the issue whether you count calories or 'eat intuitively' or have a rough idea of how much you 'should' be eating?

I've always come from the old school theory that says if you're hungry, keep eating, if you're not hungry, don't eat, there is much wisdom about the existence of calories and I don't disbelieve that but I figure it'll balance itself out ( overeat one day , less hungry the next day etc ) . Plus part of me doesn't really believe we all need the same amount of food ( plus or minus more or less for weight and size etc ) anyway.
I don't count, but I'm moderately calorie-conscious. "Only eat when you're hungry" is fine for some people, but not necessarily for someone trying to lose or maintain weight. It can be hard to differentiate between food cravings and hunger sometimes and also there's a lag period between eating and feeling full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

However, I found that there are much better lower calorie foods to get full on than the SAD. \t\t\t\t\t\t
I'm unconvinced that you can get equally full by eating lower calorie foods. What's the SAD, BTW?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I'm unconvinced that you can get equally full by eating lower calorie foods. What's the SAD, BTW?
Standard American Diet.

I'm convinced on the getting full thing though... lots of high fiber foods have been my friend in getting and staying full.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Depends on what you're eating of course.

Just because it contains a lot of calories doesn't always mean that you're going to get full faster than with food that contains less calories.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Depends on what you're eating of course.

Just because it contains a lot of calories doesn't always mean that you're going to get full faster than with food that contains less calories.
I certainly don't deny that that is possible. I'm just personally unconvinced because I haven't been able to find any studies that reach that conclusion.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Soda comes to mind for an example of neither filling nor lacking in calories, but I guess that it's an non-issue since it's a liquid.

Of course, protein is quite filling and low in calories.

But I guess I would have to search the web and make some conclusions on my own about that.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't count calories, but I did a lot when I lost weight about a year ago. Now it hardly ever crosses my mind. I'm not sure about the theory of always eat when you're hungry. Couldn't this be similar to "I'm craving chocolate so my body must need it"?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I rarely eat "empty" calories, so I don't watch calories either.

Must be my lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Every once in a while I might track what I eat for a couple days to get sort of a rough idea as to what I'm taking in. Simply from experience I know about what calorie/fat range I'm in. But in general, no, I don't count anything.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't ever count calories. My brain and body work together to crave what I need. My doc told me to lose weight, so I made the decision to, and my body craved the healthy stuff, and I've lost all but 5lbs at this point. But no counting, no telling myself no, no hating my intake.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I don't count calories, but I did a lot when I lost weight about a year ago. Now it hardly ever crosses my mind. I'm not sure about the theory of always eat when you're hungry. Couldn't this be similar to "I'm craving chocolate so my body must need it"?
Food cravings and hunger are different. I definitely have the desire to eat when I'm not noticeably hungry sometimes. But I agree that cravings are not a good indicator of what your body needs.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
No, I don't. I'm the same healthy weight today (a decade and a half later) as the day I was 20. I've been vegetarian/vegan the whole time though, and stick to some rough rules about what I eat and not.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't count calories, I count points. Yes, I'm on WW. I did start eating about 95% raw a week ago and supposedly, if you eat a high raw diet, you will lose weight automatically. I can't take that chance. I don't know how to only eat when I am hungry. My brain and soul are always hungry (eating disorder), so if I don't keep track, I always eat too much. Eating raw is VERY satisfying, though.

Laura

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

Food cravings and hunger are different. I definitely have the desire to eat when I'm not noticeably hungry sometimes. But I agree that cravings are not a good indicator of what your body needs.
True, they're not the same thing. If your stomach is rumbling, it's a good idea to eat something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

I don't count calories, I count points. Yes, I'm on WW. I did start eating about 95% raw a week ago and supposedly, if you eat a high raw diet, you will lose weight automatically. I can't take that chance. I don't know how to only eat when I am hungry. My brain and soul are always hungry (eating disorder), so if I don't keep track, I always eat too much. Eating raw is VERY satisfying, though.

Laura
Good luck

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I do count calories. I use sparkpeople.com to help me. I did this as a reaction to gaining weight last year, and I wanted to get control of it before it got out of hand. I certainly don't count every day, but I would say most days I do. I don't just count calories either; I also keep track of other protein intake and some vitamins.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Yep, I do. Sometimes I do it officially on Livestrong.com, but I nearly always keep track in my head. I wish I didn't, but my mother raised me to be pretty self-conscious.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:

But I agree that cravings are not a good indicator of what your body needs.
My body does need chocolate some days. Most days.

I don't count calories.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts