VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you cannot know if there's rennet in it when you go out do you still eat cheese in restaurants..vacation or at somebody else's place ?

Thanks

The title is really vague cause it did not let me post otherwise

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have been trying to cut out cheese, but yes if I do eat it, i will eat it even if i dont know about the rennet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nope I wouldnt eat it I always ask and if the person or restaurant is unsure or I feel un easy about the answer I just dont eat it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here is how I deal with this particular issue:

What I buy, I control. So if I am buying cheese, sure I will check for microbial rennet, or buy goat cheese, or skip the cheese entirely.

If I am not buying the cheese (restaurant, friends house, etc), then it is not in my control so there is no point worrying about it. I mean I can start flipping over tables and ranting about the criminal insanity of rennet, or I can just enjoy my meal. Usually, I choose the first option.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't worry about it. I consider rennet a by-product of the dairy industry. Dairy cows have to be impregnated regularly to continue producing milk, and the reality is that a certain number of the calves, particularly male calves, are killed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I buy rennetless, but don't ask if I'm eating out or at someone else's house. My friends know about rennet and I've given them links to learn about rennetless cheeses. One of these days I might actually go vegan and then not have to worry about it at all.

·
Registered
927 Posts
This may be helpful - these days, animal rennet is usually found in "artisan" cheeses or European cheeses (parmigiano, feta, gouda, etc.) Most "daily use" cheeses (in the US at least) do not have animal rennet. This is just a guideline, not 100% true, but might make you feel better about the "don't worry about it" advice others have given - those nachos with chile con queso or the grilled cheese sandwich probably do not have animal rennet to begin with.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
At most restaurants, the waitstaff aren't going to know what rennet is in the first place. They're likely to just give you a blank look or say whatever they think you want to hear.

At quite a few restaurants, it's not uncommon for waiters to be unable to correctly answer whether or not a menu item contains cheese...let alone how the cheese is produced.

If you are unsure about the ingredients of menu items, it's best to check the restaurant's website or email them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I buy cheese, I will not buy it unless there is a number to call to find out the source of the enzymes. Recently I got a recipe from a vegetarian cookbook that had feta cheese in it. Before eating the cheese I called the company and they said the enzymes were from lambs and calfs. Yuk! I returned it right away!

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I either check or don't eat the cheese. The vast majority of the time avoid cheese anyway. Both ethical and health reasons (allergy to milk).

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Asking about rennet is semi-pointless, unless you intend to avoid it completely if they say yes, even though it may be veg. There's animal rennet and microbial.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
when I was l/o, I bought vegetarian cheese at home and didn't check when elsewhere. But this was mostly because when I started avoiding animal rennet I didn't understand the dairy industry and so it seemed sensible to me. By the time I came to understand it I was pretty firmly set in my ways of being grossed out if I knew cheese was non-vegetarian. But yeah, I think cookingVeg's logic makes a lot of sense and the avoiding of animal rennet is pretty nonsensical from a least-harm perspective. Although it kinda makes sense from a grossed-out perspective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts