VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
You know, I bet if someone studied it, they would find that more people die from stress about toilet bacterial contamination than from the toilet bacterial contamination itself.

In any case, I plan on brushing vigorously tonight.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again: I don't use seat covers, I don't squat. I put my butt right on the seat. I think my butt germs can take their butt germs in a battle.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
What an interesting topic!

I know of a German science competition for pupils (age limit is about 18 years), where the young researchers can hand in their research papers. It's sponsored by STERN, a big German weekly. Once two 14 year old guys won with counting the bacteria on toothbrushes.

It may sound bad hygienically, but we need the little bastards in our colon to help us digest.

I agree with door handles. I don't like touching them, too. I don't know if it was done elsewhere than Germany, but they filmed (TV) German rest room at the high way and the most of the guys didn't wash hands. I guess it's a real problem.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's a miracle we are alive and reproducing imo.

I hate touching doorhandles too.

Then again, a BBC series has started here recently about the treatment of severely obsessive-compulsive people and one lady had become so afraid of getting "dust" and "glitter" (no idea why glitter) on herself that she had stopped touching/hugging her kids and husband (poor guy !) and used paper towels to hold or touch anything, including her tea mug. This disorder had taken over her entire life and every action in her life. So yes, worrying about germs or dust or whatever too much can be harmful for you too !

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Alternately, you could think about all the times you've brushed your teeth (or used the restroom) and not died from disease. Then, continue living with thanks that you have an immune system to help keep you healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daral View Post

You know, I bet if someone studied it, they would find that more people die from stress about toilet bacterial contamination than from the toilet bacterial contamination itself.

In any case, I plan on brushing vigorously tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbelgium View Post

So yes, worrying about germs or dust or whatever too much can be harmful for you too !
You guys are completely right! I have to keep reminding myself of all of this!!

I actually have an anxiety disorder that leads me to worry about disease. At any rate I have to keep reminding myself that I've obviously survived this long so I'm gonna be alright.

But when I do let myself think on it too much I remember that in a public restroom everyone wipes themselves and then uses that hand (most likely because it is their preferred hand) to flush the toilet and then they touch the door to open it! Then you touch all of those things. Ewww.

So I have to wash my hands like a crazy. At least 30 seconds to kill the germs which is about the same as saying your ABCs twice, if you were wondering.

I can really freak myself out if I think about it too much!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Remember too once you wash your hands dont touch the handle to turn off the water, cuz your dirty hand and the dirty hand of all before you touched it. i take a paper towel and use that to turn off the water, then i use another paper towel to open the door.

LOL, this can drive me crazy too.

you know what else drives me crazy, when you are checking out at the grocery and the checker is sneezing or coughs in their hand, then they are touching all your food.........ewwwwwwww

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I read somewhere that the bottom of your shoes are the most bacteria laden thing in your house, and toilet seats comparatively were far less of a concern.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Kinda OT .. but what grosses me out the most is pay phones, god knows who has touched them and you have to put the receiver right near your face/mouth.
Apart from that I don't worry about germs a whole lot. I actually read somewhere (can't remember now) that children who pick their noses and eat it have a stronger immune system. Food for thought.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Apparently your kitchen sink has more germs on it than your toilet bowl.

I think there's a balance between good hygiene and obsessiveness. I know I tend to get sick more often if I don't pay close attention to washing my hands after touching often-touched surfaces, and if I don't consciously think about keeping my unwashed hands away from my face. I don't obsess over it, but it's something I am conscious of.

And Jessica.. do you at least wipe the seat first? The reason I squat is because the toilet seats are often wet - either from splashes from the last flush, or pee from the last squatter with bad aim. Not only is it gross, but it feels nasty on the cheeks as well!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

And Jessica.. do you at least wipe the seat first? The reason I squat is because the toilet seats are often wet - either from splashes from the last flush, or pee from the last squatter with bad aim. Not only is it gross, but it feels nasty on the cheeks as well!
Not unless I can see wetness. And If it's yellow, I'm movin' to another stall.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Not unless I can see wetness. And If it's yellow, I'm movin' to another stall.
My experience with visual inspection in poorly lit stalls has been that I end up with a wet behind. Besides, squatting works those leg muscles!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts