VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
They had a segment on the Discovery channel where they put a chemical into the toilet that would glow under black light, flushed the toilet (lid up) and then turned the lights out and examined the bathroom under black light. There were droplets everywhere

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I don't like when people shut the lid because then I have to use my hand to lift it. Ew. I hate having to touch the seat to put it down, too, if it's up.

Not my own, but public ones, I mean.

I'd rather have the seat exposed and sit my happy ass directly on the seat than to touch the lid.

I gave up brushing my teeth because of the poop bacteria on my toothbrush. Thanks, mythbusters!
That's why you use your foot to lift the lid, then squat

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Apparently your kitchen sink has more germs on it than your toilet bowl.

I think there's a balance between good hygiene and obsessiveness. I know I tend to get sick more often if I don't pay close attention to washing my hands after touching often-touched surfaces, and if I don't consciously think about keeping my unwashed hands away from my face. I don't obsess over it, but it's something I am conscious of.

And Jessica.. do you at least wipe the seat first? The reason I squat is because the toilet seats are often wet - either from splashes from the last flush, or pee from the last squatter with bad aim. Not only is it gross, but it feels nasty on the cheeks as well!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:

Not unless I can see wetness. And If it's yellow, I'm movin' to another stall.
My experience with visual inspection in poorly lit stalls has been that I end up with a wet behind. Besides, squatting works those leg muscles!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

yep, the kitchen's usually the least-sanitary room in the house.

mm, germs.
I think we can blame part of those stats on meat eaters who like to sling around salmonella and E. coli. But then again, I know my kitchen isn't exactly sanitized either

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:

I'm not a meat eater, but I sling around salmonella and e.coli. Sometimes. Usually only on Mondays or whatever. Nothing's ever good on TV on Mondays.
Yeah Mondays can be rough. But you can't just let the germs win you over.. resist the dark side

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Nonetheless, I think I'll stick with washing my produce in the sink, not in the toilet bowl.
Oh, you mean we weren't supposed to actually act on that statistic?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I must say that I am more than a bit skeptical about many of these claims and about the idea that this "research" has been published for over 30 years and yet has had no impact on medical advice, bathroom design, etc.

I'd certainly be willing to place some sort of cover over my toothbrushes to protect them from the "aerosol" of bacteria, and I'd certainly be willing to put the lid down every time before flushing, but many of the other things seem far-fetched.

It would seem that if what was in the article were true, then people would simply behave differently in their bathrooms. For example, it would be fairly easy to place some sort of cover over the toilet before flushing (with the lid down), like a thick towel, to contain the "spray." So, why does no one do this? Why have I never heard of anyone doing this? Not even very health conscious people, sick people, immune-compromised people, etc.?

It seems also that since we have sinks in hospitals and medical facilities that have handles that doctors do not have to touch with their hands when scrubbing before surgery, that we could have the same sort of sinks installed in our homes. But no one does this, not even doctors, AFAIK.

I am just skeptical of the whole thing.
I'd say none of these things have happened because it is more of a 'yuck' factor than a serious health risk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts