VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard somewhere that when you flush a toilet, it spews bacteria up into the air. The source said people should not keep toothbrushes within five feet of a toilet, or always close the toilet lid.

Is there any truth to this? Not every toilet has a lid, especially those in public or business bathrooms. Should you hold your breath when leaving the toilet stall? That's what would make sense if there's really extra bacteria floating around in the air after you flush a toilet.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why don't a lot of public and business toilets have lids? I consistently see toilets with lids in people's homes, but rarely when out and about. Is this to save money? I would think it's to businesses' benefit to include lids in the hopes that people will close them and spread less bacteria, thus reducing the amount of sick time workers will use.

But then, with so many people refusing to freakin' wash their hands, I doubt those same people will bother to close the toilet lid, either.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Alternately, you could think about all the times you've brushed your teeth (or used the restroom) and not died from disease. Then, continue living with thanks that you have an immune system to help keep you healthy.

My toothbrush has always been stored in the medicine cabinet.

I suppose we could just chalk it up to good immune systems and never worry about germs again, but then I could quit washing my hands, too, because "lots of other people don't die from that."

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

I've read: toilet seats/covers are less a concern when compared to kitchen sinks.
Nonetheless, I think I'll stick with washing my produce in the sink, not in the toilet bowl.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

I keep mine in the kitchen for that reason and because the cat likes to chew on the ones in teh bathroom. Yuck!
Noooo! Not next to the dreaded kitchen sink!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts