VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - don't laugh - or you can, but then see if you can answer the question. In the last week or so I've noticed that I smell kind of funny. Sort of like...peanut butter. Which is very interesting because I haven't eaten any peanut butter in about 3 weeks, so I don't think it's a "you are what you eat" kind of issue. Here are the vital stats: I've been veg for 3 months now (wow, it feels like I always have been - 3 months doesn't sound like a long time), and am losing a significant amount of weight while working out at a moderately strenuous pace. My diet is probably not as nutrient-sound as it ought to be. Has anybody else experienced something like this? Doesn't matter how often I wash, by the way - I'm somewhat fastidious, so I shower at least once a day and sometimes twice, but always the smell is there - I can smell it over the soap smell. Weeeeird.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Is it a genital smell? Do you have a plugged up nose? Does the inside of your mouth taste funny?

If the answer to the above questions are no, then you're fine and just mildly weird, allowing you to fit in comfortably with 95% of the people here.

If the answer is yes, see a doctor.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hey I used to remember that wehn I got done taking my shower in the morning and came from the shampoo-filled bathroom smell to my bedroom, it smelled of peanut butter. For some reason during the night I peanut-buttered up the room. It is not like that currently, however...?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:
am losing a significant amount of weight while working out at a moderately strenuous pace. My diet is probably not as nutrient-sound as it ought to be.
Maybe you´re loosing weight and it´s ketosis. You can test your urine with a stick-test, which normally has glucose, pH, nitrites, keton bodies, white and red cells, urobilinogen.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I second Lothar's opinion. Sounds like ketones. Ask anyone on a low-carb diet.... makes your urine smell funky and gives you dragon breath.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I was thinking ketosis as well, from what I know of it. That used to happen to me a lot, and it was when I ate little-to-nothing -- found out later about ketosis and that that's what it was. If you're losing a significant amount of weight, it could very well be th at.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
How odd! I used to go to a dentist whose hands (or I thought it was his hands, since they were in my mouth) always smelled like peanut butter. I figured it was the gloves, but now I wonder...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes, as it turns the blood to be more acidic. The body maintains it´s equilibrium at the sort ketosis we think you have, but people with diabetes for instance might suffer from ketoacidotic coma. Also people that follow the Atkin´s diet are usually in ketosis. Any Veg*an diet might help to get you out of ketosis. You have to eat enough carbohydrates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yup!

Ketosis is horrible!

I have been hospitalized twice for it. (I am insulin dependant diabetic - I don't think the atkins program can cause ketosis that bad but I don't really know)

When it used to get really bad my urine would be really sweet smelling and sticky too. Yuck!! I don't remember a peanut butter smell though but maybe because I felt too horrible to notice.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Do you still smell funny?

Did you try getting the urine test sticks? You can get them at a pharmacy. They will tell you if it's ketosis.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
One time my mother told me I smelled like I was burning my protein, or something of the sort (it was during one of my ED relapses). I didn't really notice any funny smell, but I think she meant ketosis.

Anyway, I like the smell of peanut butter. :9

1 - 14 of 14 Posts