VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only a vegetarian for a week and half, but its a lifestyle change I am loving. I have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 2. My husband is a huge meat eater (HUGE). I am fixing more and more veggies for the kids, urging them to eat fresh fruits or veggies anytime they want a snack. got rid of all the processed foods and what meat I do buy I buy free range from the local farmers market. I know no meat is better, but if I can get them to make better bad choices......
For my younger kids, not in school yet, we do a whole grain cereal, mainly malt-o-meal or oatmeal. lunch is with my mom, so they do get some meat there, I limit it though. At supper I load on the fresh veggies, whole grain things. They are loving couscous! I have tried to get them to eat some tofu, and its still iffy.
I guess my question is, how to deal with them eating meat. I know the 4 younger ones can adjust to no meat easier than the oldest one. I told her I will not force her to eat the same as me, she can eat meat but more veggie is a must. She has no problem with it, she loves fruit and vegetables. IDK, i guess I am just rambling, trying to get things sorted out in my head.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I went vegan, cold "turkey"
I am still slowly transitioning my children and husband to be vegan. The meat immediately left my house, there was no question about it, now eliminating dairy and eggs is a little challenging but working. Its been about 4 months.

Just make dishes that you would normally make vegetarian anyways: Baked Ziti, Rice and Beans, Pizza, Minestrone soup, etc... that are recognizable, then start introducing meat alternatives in small amounts. Once they get used to the alternatives (Like soy chicken nuggets and fake bacon), start introducing more vegetarian meals that provide alternative sources of protein that are new. (Like quinoa and tofu dishes). Baby steps, little at a time, and lead by example!

There are some great blogs out there with people in the same situation as you- coming up with ideas for kids- many come up on a google search

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Give it a little more time. Start trying out new veggie recipes for yourself first so as to not turn the rest of your family into guinea pigs (unless they don't mind, lol). Get the China Study and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and have you and your husband read them, very persuasive and convinced my wife whole heartily to make the switch cold turkey.

Learning to cook new dishes has been really fun for me and we have found lots and lots that we love to eat. We did wait to make the full switch till our youngest went off to college in Aug. Interestingly enough all 3 of them (especially the older two who aren't slaves to the college cafeteria) have made conscious choices to eat much better since we changed, my oldest son said his mom and I were rubbing off on them. They have cut most of the added oil, processed foods and curbed their meat consumption a lot and have replaced it with lots of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and beans.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I went vegan, cold "turkey"
I am still slowly transitioning my children and husband to be vegan. The meat immediately left my house, there was no question about it, now eliminating dairy and eggs is a little challenging but working. Its been about 4 months.
That's what I did when our youngest left. Everything went, including dairy and eggs and I completely restocked our pantry with bulk dry goods. I just go to the store weekly for fresh fruit, veggies and soy milk.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Maybe you could start with some mock meat type dishes, or of course things that are just naturally vegetarian. Sloppy joes, "meat sauce" spaghetti, etc. with soya instead of hamburger. I don't necessarily think that this is the way to go all the time, but it might make food seem less new and scary.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Vegetarianize your family's favourite recipes with faux meats. As you progress, you will discover new recipes and ways of cooking and their tastebuds will probably get more adventurous.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OweirdO View Post

I am only a vegetarian for a week and half, but its a lifestyle change I am loving. I have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 2. My husband is a huge meat eater (HUGE). I am fixing more and more veggies for the kids, urging them to eat fresh fruits or veggies anytime they want a snack. got rid of all the processed foods and what meat I do buy I buy free range from the local farmers market. I know no meat is better, but if I can get them to make better bad choices......
For my younger kids, not in school yet, we do a whole grain cereal, mainly malt-o-meal or oatmeal. lunch is with my mom, so they do get some meat there, I limit it though. At supper I load on the fresh veggies, whole grain things. They are loving couscous! I have tried to get them to eat some tofu, and its still iffy.
I guess my question is, how to deal with them eating meat. I know the 4 younger ones can adjust to no meat easier than the oldest one. I told her I will not force her to eat the same as me, she can eat meat but more veggie is a must. She has no problem with it, she loves fruit and vegetables. IDK, i guess I am just rambling, trying to get things sorted out in my head.
We're raising our children vegan. I personally would not demand that your children stop eating meat. If you don't feel comforatable preparing it anymore I think that's fair and perhaps your husband could do that. I would concentrate on finding new meals and exposing them to lots of different dishes. I just think if you try to force it on everyone else in the house you'll run into huge problems and the more you push the less likely they will want to try veg dishes. I think it's one thing to raise kids veg from an early age but it's quite another for a parent to suddenly go veg and demand that the whole household changes their diet dramatically. You were a willing particiapant in them getting accustomed to certain foods and it would be unfair to change the rules overnight. I think you're doing a great thing encouraging more veggies and letting the older kids get used to this sudden change.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My husband and I became vegetarian 2 months ago and am moving myself towards veganism. If not for my daughters (who are both 6 years old), I would have done a clean sweep of the refrigerator and pantry and removed all animal products. However, my daughters are at an age where they do not really want to try new things and, although I think I could do the quick change, it would be much more difficult. In his book, Disease Proof Your Child, Dr. Joel Furman recommends that you do that for your kids too - immediately take out all the junk food and replace it with healthy foods. If I was dealing with some health issues with my kids, I would do that, but since I am not, I am making a slow transition.

My girls know that mom and dad are vegetarians, but they both have told me they still want to eat meat for now. One of my daughters is a big veggie eater anyway, and does not eat much meat. I fully expect her to give up meat on her own one day. My other daughter has always been a big meat eater. I am not sure what she would eat if we stopped meat for her, but she told me that one day, she will become a vegetarian.
We have made many changes with their diet that they do not realize - soy nuggets instead of chicken nuggets, meat-free meatballs, tacos with soy crumbles, daiya cheese on tacos, veggie corn dogs, veggie sausage. They already eat many healthy things - brown rice, couscous, lots of fruits and vegetables. I would like to get them off cow's milk, but have not had any success yet. They do not like soy milk, so I am going to try almond milk next. We still cook chicken for them, but they have not had beef since we became vegetarian.

I think it is better to make incremental steps with kids. Once kids are old enough to have an opinion, I think it is important to respect their opinion. If they make the choice on their own to become vegetarian or vegan, they are more likely to stick with it, and hopefully make healthy choices.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If they are old enough to have an opinion, give them some health arguments to augment their decision making process don't do it on taste alone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pushing the new taste on everyone, the oldest and the hubby are fighting it. HOWEVER my DH has said, that my cooking has inproved over the last week. And he's never told me it was bad, I am just finding new flavors and combo's. When I serve the meat to the older one I serve the replacement as well. The littler ones only get the replacement. The milk was easy, eggs are not used much here, only in baking really. Getting rid of the processed foods has hit them the hardest. the quick easy to fix meal for a teen type of meal are gone. She now really has to eat what I fix. I am afriad I had gotten lazy and let her fix what she wanted. Shame on me.
No one liked my lentil's until they saw me put them over the brown rice and then they became a bit hit.

I think i might need to change my mind set, I was totally against the fake meat stuff. I did not want the processed foods. That was what we are trying to get away from. IDK, eating pure free range chicken that I baked with seasoning VS processed soy products shaped to look like meat.....I still dont know whats in that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts