VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and her husband are the retired dairy farmers in the family. She and I continually get into it online on facebook about my posts. My husband is working out of town, my kids are grown and gone, so I'm home alone.

I told my sister I'd come up there, since my dad was going to be there, but she really torqued me when she butted into a nice little thread my neice and I were having, and "caused" me (well of course I had to refute what she wrote, when she tells me I have all my facts wrong,and I'm brainwashed!) to respond.

so, since I don't have my husband to help keep my brother in law in check, and there will be a bigger audience for him to start on me....so I think I want to pass!

What do you think? My patient and his wife are very veg inquisitive, and he's offered to make dishes that are dairy and egg free.....he undertands the benefits of what I've been teaching him, so is willing to experiment!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I don't personally place any importance on spending Thanksgiving with family or having a large dinner. BUT you only live once and I think it's best to spend time doing things you enjoy, with people who love and respect you, NOT ones you dread seeing!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Find a shelter and feed the homeless or something instead maybe.

Or just spend the day being thankful that you are not dealing with drama.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I really wish families respect other peoples views and beliefs these days, in my parents house while i was growing up, I was told to get whatever you think you can eat and don't get the things you won't eat.
However, I would volunteer at a local shelter for a few hours and be Thankful for what you have.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't actually think about volunteering, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the offer up from my pt. He has had open heart surgery,and is understanding the importance of diet more now than before. I appreciate his thoughtfulness. I just told my dad, who had been monitoring the thread I was talking about, and agreed, she doesn't have the up to date information too,and understands not wanting to be there.

Thanks for the input....just needed to reassure my thoughts, I guess.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'd spend the day with your patient over the family.

Something I learned last year was that for me to enjoy the holidays I had to cut family out of it. Every family is different but with mine it was the best I ever made in regards to the holidays (other than refusing to cook non-vegan food for others on Thanksgiving.)

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Gosh, Jess, so sorry to hear how badly your family treats you about this. I will never understand some people. I say have a nice dinner with your patient and let the meanies enjoy their animal carcass!
Wish we were closer. You would absolutely be invited to our big vegan feast!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

My sister and her husband are the retired dairy farmers in the family. She and I continually get into it online on facebook about my posts. My husband is working out of town, my kids are grown and gone, so I'm home alone.

I told my sister I'd come up there, since my dad was going to be there, but she really torqued me when she butted into a nice little thread my neice and I were having, and "caused" me (well of course I had to refute what she wrote, when she tells me I have all my facts wrong,and I'm brainwashed!) to respond.

so, since I don't have my husband to help keep my brother in law in check, and there will be a bigger audience for him to start on me....so I think I want to pass!

What do you think? My patient and his wife are very veg inquisitive, and he's offered to make dishes that are dairy and egg free.....he undertands the benefits of what I've been teaching him, so is willing to experiment!
I'd say sit down with your sister and talk to her about how you feel, at a time when both of you can get together for coffee/lunch/etc...and talk. I hate to play devil's advocate, but you are a serious threat to their livelyhood--dairy farmers, retired or otherwise, aren't going to be happy about a dairy free anything, no matter what. I'd say go with the patient, or another neighbour or friend.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I'd say sit down with your sister and talk to her about how you feel, at a time when both of you can get together for coffee/lunch/etc...and talk. I hate to play devil's advocate, but you are a serious threat to their livelyhood--dairy farmers, retired or otherwise, aren't going to be happy about a dairy free anything, no matter what. I'd say go with the patient, or another neighbour or friend.
I absolutely know that...fortunately they are retired, but basically I told her in the post, that she needed to forget everything she knows about small farm farming, as that's not how factory farms work....she was comparing her giving bst (bovine somatotropin) which is naturally occuring in cows, to me stating that factory farms are using synthetic rBGH (recombinent bovine growth hormone) which is illegal in Canada and Europe, and then mentioned all of the docutmented effects of using it on the cows themselves and the effects it has on raising IGF-1 levels in human blood, which is directly related to increased breast, prostate, and colon cancers....yada, yada, yada.....

My other sister has turned vegan due to having a cancer diagnosis, and is loving the life and how good she feels along with her weight loss she's experiencing....her husband has even thanked me for getting her on this path. Two COMPLETELY different responses from two siblings! Wish I were out west to cook for her, as she's recouperating from surgery last week, to have her lymph nodes removed in her groin due to the cancer cells being in them.

Anyway, as far as eating with my patients, we are very much like family. They spend more time with us per week than their own families, if they are still currently working. He and his wife are going to have a nice dinner, and he was really glad I was coming, and has spent a great deal of time finding vegan recipes which have good ratings online. I'm really excited that someone WANTS to go out of their way to accomodate me.....that's an awesome feeling

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Anyway, as far as eating with my patients, we are very much like family. They spend more time with us per week than their own families, if they are still currently working. He and his wife are going to have a nice dinner, and he was really glad I was coming, and has spent a great deal of time finding vegan recipes which have good ratings online. I'm really excited that someone WANTS to go out of their way to accomodate me.....that's an awesome feeling
I think it's pretty great that you enjoy spending time with these patients so much that you want to spend your free time with them too.

I hope you have a good time!

Re. the dairy farm sister - for someone to actively, permanently, pull newborn babies away from their mothers, see the babies and mothers cry and search for each other, sell half the babies at auction, and use the other half as profit machines...well, you know the mentality you're dealing with

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm really glad I'm not going up. Yesterday I had posted the food I had made to send with hubby back to work with, as he leaves this morning to wk 2 hours away and wont be here at all this weekend. She wrote I need turkey on my post....whatever...glad I have the other sister to share recipes with.

Irizarry....I know!

Ledboots, generally, I'd agree, but he and his wife are professionsals, and we just are really close and hit it off. They've watched Forks Over Knives that I gave them to watch, so I'm getting through, and I think this is fantastic that they want/are looking forward to cooking vegan food. He would have anyway, even if I weren't there....some positive changes in their lifestyles.....

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:

i'm really glad I'm not going up. Yesterday I had posted the food I had made to send with hubby back to work with, as he leaves this morning to wk 2 hours away and wont be here at all this weekend. She wrote I need turkey on my post....whatever...glad I have the other sister to share recipes with.

Irizarry....I know!

Ledboots, generally, I'd agree, but he and his wife are professionsals, and we just are really close and hit it off. They've watched Forks Over Knives that I gave them to watch, so I'm getting through, and I think this is fantastic that they want/are looking forward to cooking vegan food. He would have anyway, even if I weren't there....some positive changes in their lifestyles.....
Your sister sounds extremely rude and unforgiving about your dietary choices...I'd limit time with her if I were you.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I find it extremely sad that diet can cause so much tension in families. I am so fortunate to have total understanding and support from my sister. She goes out of her way to make sure I have something to eat at family gatherings and I do bring things to share as well. I get some comments but nothing nasty or negative. I am sorry for anyone who has to deal with difficult relatives.
Have a great time with your friends 'jess!!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SCORE!!!!!!!

We had the best freaking dinner he made me (BIG smiles with great appreciation!)......

Menu:

organic carrot soup with a bread crumb and fennel topping (He even went out and bought Earth Balance to cook with!
hummus, pita, and olives on the table

Field Roast sausage flavor- never had one before, it was soooo good, with vegan gravy!
a big pan of roasted brussel sprouts, parsnips, fennel, and carrots, with fennel fronds chopped on top
cauliflower
(they also had a turkey and stuffing for themselves and guests)

Dessert was poached pears with a white wine syrup....

I had such a good time, and was so glad I went! Hope everyone else had a great day!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts