VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a book or DVD that's especially good for someone who wants to try yoga but can't really afford either the time or money for a class? My schedule is ridiculous right now, and I just can't fit a class in, but I really want to try yoga. I've been doing some poses off of internet sites, but a video would be great so I could see someone else doing them too. Does anyone use one that they feel is really exceptional?<br><br>
I'm a distance runner, so I'm mostly interested in yoga for its limbering and relaxing aspects...though I certainly wouldn't object to finding a good cross-training workout via yoga if that's available. I also tend to have some back trouble caused by stress (I tend to sleep in a tight knot - not good for you), and found that some yoga poses are really helpful in loosening me up.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
<a href="http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=29956110403&z=y" target="_blank">http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...9956110403&z=y</a><br><br>
That is one of my favorites. I have quite a few yoga dvd's and I find myself always going back to that one. You don't even need to be overweight to really get into it, plus all the people in it are at varying stages and weights. Suzanne's voice is easy on the ears, too. it's just overall pretty relaxing. I like the stretches and poses, as well.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i made a beginner yoga video that's available on my <a href="http://jenifermparker.com" target="_blank">web site</a>. i think it's great for a first timer, and the feedback that i have from it is really great (that it's easy to follow, well planned, etc).<br><br><br><br>
the other great thing abut it is that you can do as much as you want, when you want. there are a number of 'chapters' and each chapter is a 5 minute segment. so if you only have 5 minutes, you can do one segment, and be done with it. or you can do 2 segments, or 7. the whole video is 45 minutes.<br><br><br><br>
it's also modified highly for beginners, with modifications of the modifications. it's also an educational perspective rather than a 'work out' one.<br><br><br><br>
along with this, i recommend setting up a time to take a class or workshop. look at your local yoga studio's schedule--and then pick a day in the relatively near future (within a month) to take a single class. then, pick another one a month later.<br><br><br><br>
make sure it's scheduled and give it a try. classes support home practice--and they are important for instruction. but there's nothing wrong with starting from a video or book (online) resource.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks, I'll check out these suggestions. After doing some of the beginning poses I just could not believe how effective they were at stretching things out (bonus: I did them last night, and my run this morning was fantastic - very limber!). A few were even intense enough I could see how they'd really tone you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts