Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dixie Chick speaks up against Bush

Maines' statement comes as many country stars are releasing pro-war anthems.

March 13, 2003

One country music artist is speaking out against war and bashing President Bush. What Dixie Chick Natalie Maines she said while in London, England, is upsetting many folks.

To a rejoicing crowd, Maines said, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

Her statement comes as numerous country stars, including her band, are rushing to release pro-war anthems.

A statement from Maines says, "I feel the president is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world".

http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1177836

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the Dixie Chicks with respect to statements being reported in the British media

3/12/2003

From the Dixie Chicks

"We've been overseas for several weeks and have been reading and following the news accounts of our governments' position. The anti-American sentiment that has unfolded here is astounding. While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost."

Maines further stated, "I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."

http://dixiechicks.launch.yahoo.com/news.asp?id=24

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[The original WSMV story had changed as i was posting it here. It now continues as follows:]

They cheered wildly in London, but here in Middle Tennessee, it is mostly boos.

The phone lines were overwhelmed at country music station WKDF. Everyone wanted to talk about the Dixie Chicks and the overwhelming majority think they were out of line.

Your either support this one or the other guy. You are either with us or against us, said one caller to the station.

Part of it is that the comments were made in another country and people said you just don't do that, said Becca Walls, WKDF Radio.

The Dixie Chicks comments were the lunchtime topic on Thursday.

With her performing in another country, it just doesn't go over well, said Jackie Harris, Nashville resident.

I think she crossed the line, said Sara Weaver, Nashville resident.

The Dixie Chicks have currently sold 5 million copies of their CD Home

The big number on that CD is a song called Travelin' Soldier that many military people have embraced. But will the Chicks lose fans over these comments?

MTSU music professor Beverly Keel says probably not.

"A lot of singers refrain from these comments, but Natalie relishes this. Natalie's wild and she's going to say whatever she wants, whenever she wants, said Professor Keel.

And true enough, on Thursday on the Dixie Chicks web site , Natalie Maines did not apologize.

"I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your point of view," said the statement.

Some people on Thursday have gone so far as to suggest a boycott of Dixie Chicks music. Of course right now they are in the middle of a sold out world tour.

The Dixie Chicks have set new records for ticket sales all over the country. They perform at the Nashville Arena on August 4th.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Your either support this one or the other guy. You are either with us or against us, said one caller to the station.

Originally posted by Michael

Hehe... I wonder who that was.
Someone who confuses Bush and Jesus Christ.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I assume the new song you're talking about is "Travelling Soldier." Being a big country music fan, I have heard that song many times now, & have never thought of it as being pro war. I'm also reminded that casualties of war are real people when I hear that song. In my mind, the song puts war into a more real perspective, portraying how devastating its effects are on individuals on a more personal level. I cried the first time I heard that song, so saddened by the death of the soldier & my heart went out to the girl. If you haven't heard the song, then a lot of this probably hasn't made sense.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://dixiechicks.launch.yahoo.com/news.asp?id=26

Quote:
Statement from Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks

March 14, 2003

"As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers' lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American."

·
Registered
371 Posts
seadolphin,

yep, "travelling solider" is the song I was talking about. When I first heard the word "war" in it I thought maybe it was another one of those rah rah war songs that certain country music singers just love to churn out (can't stand them myself!) but when I listened through it, I thought of it as the exact opposite of a pro-war song. I don't know how anyone can listen to a song like that or watch a war movie without remembering that these are real people and that every person who dies has a someone that loves them.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

Musicians and Hollywood celebrities shouldn't discuss politics.....
because they are any less qualified/educated to have an opinion than you? way to stereotype there. i suppose you think robert redford shouldn't fight for the environment either. god forbid that some celebrities are using their fame for worthwhile endeavors.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stonecrest

because they are any less qualified/educated to have an opinion than you? way to stereotype there. i suppose you think robert redford shouldn't fight for the environment either. god forbid that some celebrities are using their fame for worthwhile endeavors.
Way to miss my sarcasm there.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
One of the local top 40 stations just announced that listeners have been calling them and demanding that they stop playing the Dixie Chicks because of their remarks (and this was after Natalie apologized). The station refused to get involved in politics; the country music station must have the same idea, because they play DC alongside Toby Keith. Good for them, except I do think "Landslide" is overplayed...

P.S. to Kurmudgeon: I got your sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.