VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving on the Ohio Turnpike and I saw something incredibly disturbing. I passed a cattle truck bearing a logo on the back with a cartoon cow, mouth open wide like it was screaming, head sticking out from between two bars. Above the logo it said in red cartoon lettering "The Last Ride."

It gets worse. I passed the truck and it was full of cows that I could see through the bars. At eye level to me was one cow, looking right at me. I flicked off the driver and bawled my eyes out for the next 20 miles. I just wish there was something I could do besides an obscene gesture that the driver probably just chuckled at.

I guess I just needed to vent to some people who I knew would understand. I thought about putting this in Stupid Things.... but it just seemed to go beyond that. I can only hope that someone somewhere will see the logo on the back of that truck and say "wait... so my hamburger was once a terrified cow?"

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Now that is downright obsene. (ETA: The truck is obsene, not you giving thr driver the finger
Thought I should say that to prevent confusion) It looks like something that would appear in an episode of South Park parodying vegetairans. Perhaps you can contact the trucking company and/or send a complaint? (if you remember its name) I think that indeed is beyond the Stupid Things Omnivores Say thread.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Flipping off the driver is ridiculous and a bit childish.

That is however a pretty cruel depiction and name for the company but I guess it's fitting.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:
I flicked off the driver and bawled my eyes out for the next 20 miles.
I understand your distress but I don't really see the point of flicking off the driver. He probably had no idea why you did it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy&Sarcasm View Post

Flipping off the driver is ridiculous and a bit childish.

That is however a pretty cruel depiction and name for the company but I guess it's fitting.
This type of response is EXACTLY why I no longer wish to particpaate here.

The drive had tons to do with the act!

So this poor person was upset about what she had just witnessed and flips the bird. Big Deal!

It is absolutley ridiculous that now her 'friends' that she comes to share her experience with treat her like crap.....well done!

This is my absolute last post....I came back to see what is happening and the VERY FIRST thread I go to, what do I find..THIS! WELL DONE!

unbelievable!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Yeah, I too just LOVE how supportive these forums can be. Sometimes there's more empathy and understanding for hunters and omnivores than vegans or vegetarians.
OK, yeah, it's not the driver's "fault," but would it be so hard to show compassion for Acadia, who's obviously very upset, rather than nitpick the benign way she handled the situation? Good grief, it's not like she slashed his tires.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yeah, I too just LOVE how supportive these forums can be.
Im quite prepared to be supportive and empathize with other posters but not to the extent of condoning stupid stuff like road rage. Being upset about the fate of these cows doesn't give you a right to act like a jerk on the road. Flipping off drivers can and has lead to serious incidences where people get attacked and sometimes killed all over something dumb.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Im quite prepared to be supportive and empathize with other posters but not to the extent of condoning stupid stuff like road rage. Being upset about the fate of these cows doesn't give you a right to act like a jerk on the road. Flipping off drivers can and has lead to serious incidences where people get attacked and sometimes killed all over something dumb.
I wouldn't really call what Acadia did as road-rage in a sense. Proper road-rage is based mostly on anger, i.e. when some whitevan driver cuts you out at a roundabout, almost killing you, and you peep your horn and swear under your breath. She flipped the bird more out of distress.

Personally, I'd have tailgated him for a few miles, or overtook him, then cut my speed to around 15mph. Screw being childish.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post

Personally, I'd have tailgated him for a few miles, or overtook him, then cut my speed to around 15mph. Screw being childish.
That would good way to get rear ended.. and possibly killed. Big trucks can't stop as fast as cars.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=61470

I saw a similar truck (sans cow cartoon) several months ago. What is this? Do slaughterhouse drivers have symposiums in which they all vote on crude slogans to paint on their trucks?

I wonder what omnis (the "Oh! Don't show me that!" kind, rather than the "I love killing and blood" kind) think when they see something like this on the road? It also seems to go against the image the meat industry prefers to present to the public (slaughterhouses are nice places where animals never fear or suffer, slaughter workers/farmers are humane and professional people, etc. etc.)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Acadia... that just sux hunny... sorry you had to see that but even more sorry that it exists in the first place.

I haven't been a member for very long and I have to say, some days I wonder why I come back. I used to think, if I knew more vegetarians I would know more compassionate people, but it appears that the two do not go together like I assumed they would.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I hate seeing trucks like that, and fortunately haven't seen them for a long time. Every now and then we do get in-the-face reminders of at least one of the reasons we're doing this, don't we?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't think you were childish or stupid. I would have done the same thing

Some people here just like to argue and be self righteous.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Barrylove, don't go!

I think it is ridiculous that people needed to point out that flipping someone the bird is childish... It wasn't the point and it doesn't matter.

Acadia, I completely understand what you mean and sympathize with how you felt as I have found myself in that situation many times. I also come here for support and to vent, and don't like the idea of having to be extra careful when posting. I feel that I get nitpicked enough by omnis and this board should be a type of safe haven.

I'm sorry you had to drive past such a truck, I cannot imagine how I would feel if I had to pass one and see the cows staring back at me, especially with the sticker on the back poking fun at something so inhumane. If flipping the truck driver off hurt no one and made you feel just a bit better, then I see nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

I don't think you were childish or stupid. I would have done the same thing

Now come on. Everyone knows only militant vegans are self-righteous.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been away from vb for a little while, and am definitely suprised at some of the reactions I got to my post; I didn't expect to be ridiculed for something that was really just a small part of my post. But, anyway, thanks to those who defended me, and I just wanted to explain my motivations real quick.

It's funny because after I flicked the guy off, I thought briefly of his life; if he's doing this merely because there's no other work and he needed to feed his family, or if he was contracted out to drive the truck, etc. I don't hate slaughterhouse workers because they're just doing what they can to get by and definitely don't have it easy. And I didn't hate this guy either. But, at the moment, I was overcome by emotion and didn't know what else to DO. It was such a helpless feeling seeing those cows I KNEW were about to be slaughtered and knowing there was nothing I could tangibly do at that moment to help them. What would everyone else have done?

I also think he probably had some idea why I flicked him off. Why else? I think even non-vegetarians would be shocked by such a blatant "these cows are going to die" message, at least compassionate ones anyway. I might not have even been the first. And, on top of that, there's a great likelihood, like I said in the OP, that he just laughed it off and continued on his way.

I wish I could have engaged in an intellectual discussion with him, but that simply wasn't an option so I just did the first thing that came into my mind.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can understand why you would flip them off. You just got really angry and there was no way to vent it out. I'm sorry you havd to see that. I would contact the company. That makes me really angry to hear about that too. I would have probably done the same thing.

I also think that we should be a little more supportive here. I see a couple of certain people here that just have something negative to say. We are all alike. We joined this forum for a reason. I talk to people just like us.

A funny thing you should have done after you flipped him off was to get in front of him (drive normal speed) and hopefully you had a vegetarian bumper sticker. Then he would have gotten the point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post

What would everyone else have done?
Hi Acadia: Sorry for your bad experience - I often think that there's nothing that can shock me anymore, but that truck about takes the cake!!! Geez. I can understand how powerless you felt and how upset... I feel (and would have felt) the same way. But you asked what I would have done, so I will tell you that I would have just kept on driving. Then, when I got home, I would have tried to find out the contact information for the company and then sent them a letter, KINDLY stating how distressing I found their advertising and asking them - NICELY - to consider changing it. You know, I'm a Buddhist so I'm coming from that standpoint, and one of the main things you're supposed to do as a Buddhist is avoid harming. Naturally, the connection between that teaching and not eating animals is pretty clear, but what seems to not be so obvious to people is that that also means not harming other HUMANS. I've put that opinion out - and been flayed for it - but it never ceases to amaze me how many veg*ns are preaching loud and long about violence against animals, but think nothing of belittling, berating, and a million other ways of being just plain nasty to other people who don't agree with them. To me, the important thing is to cultivate compassion for ALL LIVING CREATURES, of which being a veg*n is only one aspect. And being compassionate means learning to short-circuit our angry reactions (like flipping the bird to somebody) so that we can operate from a place of peace and non-violence. Of course that doesn't mean be a doormat, which is why I would have written the letter, but I would have tried to do it peacefully. You catch more flies with honey, as the saying goes.

[/soapbox] Sorry, but this is something I feel very strongly about.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The difference, though, M.T.Ness, is that you had a moment (or many moments) to put yourself in Acadia's place. Your response would perhaps be the ideal response. I am sure PLENTY of people wished they had had the time you just had to respond to a certain, quick time in their life where they felt overcome by the frustration of helplessness. Some might even wish they could go back in time.

You were sympathetic in your response, which is something I think is important. What aggravates me is the lecture that follows. This bothers me because I think (I am not Acadia, so this is just how I would feel) that whether or not the later statements were merely a sharing of ideas, the end result is making someone feel they did the wrong thing. Acadia DID ask what you would have done, but if you reread Acadia's statement, she mentions that after she flipped him off, she rethought her actions.

Perhaps you weren't criticizing her and you, too, were just venting:

"but it never ceases to amaze me how many veg*ns are preaching loud and long about violence against animals, but think nothing of belittling, berating, and a million other ways of being just plain nasty to other people who don't agree with them"

Since I had responded I felt I was included in this statement, and am confused as to how I am "one of those veg*ns" who "think nothing of belittling, berating...etc"

And I was therefore, offended.

phooey

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

Its not about being self-righteous Snowrose, a lot of the time people say these things firstly because they care about people putting themselves into potentially dangerous situations that could be avoided, and secondly, they give a s*** about how people treat each other in everday life.

If someone thinks of themselves as a compassionate person they have to try not to go around being unnecessarily antagonistic to other people and attempt to live up to that compassionate description. They should try not to put more anger out there in the world. Its understandable the OP was upset, I wouldn't be thrilled about it either, but being upset doesnt give you the right to start road-raging. Maybe you've never seen a road rage incident close up but I have and its not very pleasant to watch. And the sad thing is, they often start with something as stupid as honking a horn at another driver.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts