VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I became a vegetarian last November primarily for environmental reasons. Meat has never really grossed me out. I had eaten it most of my life up until November.

Anyhow, the other day I was washing some dirty dishes by hand (don't have a dishwasher). I live with my brother, who is an omni, so there was a container that had housed some chicken stew. I started washing it when studdenly the smell of the chicken started to totally disgust me. I've never had this reaction to meat before and was just wondering if this has happened to others and a result of not eating meat...

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I think it's a pretty normal thing. After a while, you will probably find that the reaction diminishes a little but you'll probably always notice the smell and that "yuck factor" will probably always be there at least a little.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When i was an omni, i was a huge meat eater. I thought the vegetarian diet was rediculous and at the same time couldn;t put together that i am in love with animals and all life. The day i turned vegetarian, the smell of it grossed me out. I cant even go to friend's house for bbq's without being disguisted and almost vomiting from the smell that i would once probably drool over.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The smell of meat, especially chicken, still grosses me out, and I used to eat at KFC at least once a week until I went veg 4 years ago. Really, it isn't surprising that it smells bad because it is decomposing flesh, after all.

I've learned to deal with the bad smells when I'm out and about, but I don't allow anything dead in my house, so I don't have to worry about the gross out factor there, at least.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Seeing and smelling meat grosses me out a lot! Before I used to love meat and loved the smell....now I know what it really is though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts