VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We received an invitation to a birthday party for my husband's boss (he's a doctor). It is for appetizers and dinner at a well known prime rib restaurant. I don't know if we will be able to order our own dinners or if they will just bring them out. What do I do????

I don't want to embarrass my husband or myself or make anyone feel awkward about my eating choices. I know if I just eat my salad and baked potato there will be questions. I hate having to discuss this and I hate getting nervous every time an invitation arrives. How do you handle this type situation?

·
Registered
927 Posts
It is perfectly acceptable to ask the person who sent the invitation whether there will be a vegetarian option available. Depending on the reply, you may also want to check with the restaurant directly.

Although these things can seem embarrassing/uncomfortable, I think that for your own peace of mind, it would be good to get in the habit of politely inquiring about vegetarian options in such situations. I have found most people to be very understanding and helpful, as long as you do not seem pushy or stressed out. The more often you ask, the easier it will become. There's nothing to be embarrassed about; it's part of the normal business of people being courteous and accommodating to each other in social situations.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Flawless advice from Seusomon! It's perfectly normal to ask whomever invited you or to contact the restaraunt beforehand. The most important thing is to be polite and ask in advance. Steakhouses can be more veg friendly than you think. (Easier than a seafood restaraunt-IMO) If you had an alergy you would do the same thing- just be polite and you'll be fine

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Flawless advice from Seusomon! It's perfectly normal to ask whomever invited you or to contact the restaraunt beforehand. The most important thing is to be polite and ask in advance. Steakhouses can be more veg friendly than you think. (Easier than a seafood restaraunt-IMO) If you had an alergy you would do the same thing- just be polite and you'll be fine
You know, I've noticed a lot of people here talking about ethnic restaurants as being veg friendly. But a lot of times, they mix stuff into the sauces where you wouldn't expect it. With steakhouses, they showcase their meat seperately and make a big deal of it, rather than mixing it into things. So it's generally easy to eliminate that from the meal, and just eat the side dishes as a meal.

And I agree that Seusomon's advice was great, as always. Seusomon, you need to get your own "Dear Abbey" column.

--Fromper

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
I'd just ask the person who is arranging the dinner party if there would be any vege options available or call/look up the menu for said restaurant. It'll be okay. You've got to learn to be confident and comfortable with your own values and choices or you can't expect anyone else to feel comfortable about them.

Veg*nism is nothing to be ashamed of embarassed of, and infact, you should feel proud of yourself that you are doing something so good for yourself, the animals, the environment and even for other people. If someone ever asks you about your diet/choice of food just smile and say (as a statement of fact) "I am vegetarian".

It's always a bit tricky the first time you attend a pre-planned party/function where you won't be able to bring your own veggie foods. Good Luck and have fun!!!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Another
to calling ahead. Many places are willing to whip up something nice, if they know ahead of time, even if they don't normally have something veg*n.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Heaps of good advice offered already

Maybe you do feel uncomfortable about the questions etc . But for ever 10 that ask there might be one , well like , you were once , that makes them think in regard your reason's for being veg/an

1 - 8 of 8 Posts