VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I don't know where else it would go, so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I've noticed that might sense of taste has diminished significantly - mostly my ability to taste cinnamon. I didn't notice until people started telling me how strong the cinnamon flavour was in different things I've been baking and I could barely even taste it. Today I tried eating just a bit of cinnamon on its own and could barely even taste it. In the past I used to be able to taste it very well, so I don't know if I've maybe been overusing it and desensitised my taste buds to it? I do like really strong, intense flavours, but I didn't think about whether that could damage my taste buds. I've tried googling it and haven't really been able to find anything, so thought I'd ask here. I really hope I will be able to taste cinnamon again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
There's something about this in biology, I can't quite remember. Something along the lines that part of the population is more sensitive than the other part when it comes to salt and such. I imagine it applies to cinnamon as well.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Are you taking any medications? I'm currently weening myself off Zyrtec, it gave me weird side effects, one included messing with my nose (which is related to taste). Do you suffer from allergies?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to be able to taste cinnamon. The only explanation I can think of is that I overdid it a bit. My sense of taste and smell for other things hasn't really changed. I don't have allergies or take any medications, not even painkillers on a regular basis. The last time I took anything at all was probably about two months ago.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ I'm not really sure. At first I thought I'd bought some weaker tasting cinnamon, but recently other people are commenting on how strong the flavour of cinnamon is in things that I can't taste cinnamon in at all. It's probably been a few months, but I haven't really noticed a drastic difference so it must've been fairly slow.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiholic View Post

I used to be able to taste cinnamon. The only explanation I can think of is that I overdid it a bit. My sense of taste and smell for other things hasn't really changed. I don't have allergies or take any medications, not even painkillers on a regular basis. The last time I took anything at all was probably about two months ago.
That would be my assumptions but that's just because I have found this true with myself in regards to garlic. I love garlic and tend to put garlic in almost every dish I make and I use tons of it. Others comment on how overpowering the garlic flavor is in my foods but most of the time I can hardly taste it and want to add more. I think I just got in the habit of using more and more garlic every time I cooked that my taste buds just adjusted to the large amounts and they want more now.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

That would be my assumptions but that's just because I have found this true with myself in regards to garlic. I love garlic and tend to put garlic in almost every dish I make and I use tons of it. Others comment on how overpowering the garlic flavor is in my foods but most of the time I can hardly taste it and want to add more. I think I just got in the habit of using more and more garlic every time I cooked that my taste buds just adjusted to the large amounts and they want more now.
i agree with that too....you grow accustomed to a certain level...it's like people cooking with hot peppers; it they are used to it, they may not realize how hot or strong a dish is as they are used to that intensity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If its bothering you, you should see your doctor. I know that as we age our tastes change. Other factors could affect it (like someone mentioned earlier). But the way our taste buds function, isn't it possible that a certain type of taste bud, the type that detects cinnamon, could be impaired while the others functioned normally?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ I'd be a bit embarrassed going to the doctor about something so trivial, so I'm not going to do that unless it gets worse. I'm only 23, so I doubt it's caused by ageing. I think I'm going to cut out strong-flavoured foods for a while and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts