VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to be a vegan, have been vegetarian for years, but unfortunately about 5-6 years ago my husband and I made an expensive purchase that we felt with having small children would last a long time - and it has done, and that is a leather sofa. In the last 6 months or so I have been reading more and more about animal rights and being vegan etc, and this sofa is one problem for me. We don't have the money to just get rid of it now and my husband still loves it. I don't buy any other leather items, i get vegan shoes, vegan handbags etc. I feel like a fraud when people talk to me about animals when I go home and sit on a leather sofa! Is the only answer to just start saving for a new sofa and learn to live with it for a few more years?

What would you do. (I know you probably hate me for the sofa but it is a mistake that I have to live with - I do feel bad) btw - my husband is still an omni outside of the house.

thanks

pp

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have stuff I'm not proud of (I go and lie on a sheeps wool underlay every night and I do own a pair of leather boots, both bought before I was veg). That being said, while I feel bad for the animal that had to die so that I could be comfortable I am also about frugality and not being wasteful so I continue to wear my 5 year old boots and sleep on my sheeps wool. When they wear out I will replace them with vegan items as I know better now. While it can make you feel hypocritical I also like to think of it as remembering that my eyes were closed but now they are open and those things remind me of what I am doing right now. Nothing I do will bring back the lives of the animals that supplied the things we have already purchased, so if you guys can't afford a new lounge and hubby likes it, keep it until you need a new one and make a wiser choice next time (and if you REALLY can't stand to sit on it throw a rug over the top of it and hide it when you sit
)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper pig View Post

What would you do. (I know you probably hate me for the sofa but it is a mistake that I have to live with - I do feel bad) btw - my husband is still an omni outside of the house.
of course we don't hate you!

Congratulations on going vegan! I think that no-one will judge you for having a leather sofa in your house if you bought it before you were vegan. We can't change what we did in the past and you are working to make your future as vegan as possible.

If you really can't live with it, and you can make your husband agree, you have no choice but to try and replace it when you have the money. But I would probably continue to use it if I couldn't comfotably afford to replace it (although if I had plenty of money I would donate it and buy a new one to avoid the grossness factor). We all make mistakes, we just have to live with it and focus on not making the same mistakes again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Unless the sofa is in need of repair/replacement I wouldn't get rid of it to replace it with a non-leather option. That would be really wasteful. When the sofa is ready to be replaced simply buy a non-leather replacement. But until then realize that you cannot rewind time. You make different choices at different times in your life. Accept that you cannot undo the past and vow to make different and better choices in the future.

(typed as I sit on the leather sofa we purchased before I became vegetarian.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - I think that is what I will have to do - just keep it and make better choices in the future.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Yeah, I have a lot of leather in my life, too. I'll eventually replace it all, but the sofa and car with leather interior aren't going anywhere soon. I'll probably start with something small, like looking for non-leather shoes.

--Fromper

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree...you have to do as much as you can to live a vegan life, but it's impossible to be 100% vegan. I just donated some leather shoes that I had "collected" over the years because I just couldn't handle wearing them anymore. I still have a few pair of leather shoes, but I'm going to replace them as well as soon as I can.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
If she gets rid of it it's not like it has to go into the trash - she can look into selling it to someone who would otherwise be buying a leather couch (preventing them from getting a new one) or giving it to someone.

OP - I would at least get a seatcover to put over it, as I wouldn't want to sit on skin. If you have vegan friends they may not want to sit on it either, so that's an option.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Slipcover. Durable kid-friendly washable fabric. And one of those tabletop waterfall things to drown out the sound when you sit on it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I second what everyone else said, and perhaps you know of someone who owns a nice vegan/kid friendly couch and could just trade them?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Id get a slipcover. Or make one - Im sure you could find out how if you looked long enough

Whoever mentioned the sound.. ew.. I know what you mean - my parents got a leather couch a few years ago and I hate sitting on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.