VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is very concerned about what I will eat on Thanksgiving. They've confessed this to me. In the spirit of the season, I have decided to appease them and try out something new: a fake turkey or roast.

I splurged and paid $9.99 on Tuesday and bought a Celebration Roast to try out. I made homemade garlic mashed potatoes and chickpea gravy. It was all very delicious and Jimbo kept raving about how the roast tasted just like meat. (I've noticed that I don't have much of a taste for meat anymore. I very rarely eat imitation meat or anything similar - so unlike me when I began this whole vegetarian thing. The roast DID taste a lot like meat...so much so, in fact, that I wasn't a big fan. Grah.)

I've called around and Trader Joe's offers the Tofurky roast for $7.99 (Sorry, Angie! Whole Foods charges $12.99!!!). I'm thinking about buying that sometime this weekend and testing it out....

OR:

Whole Foods offers pre-made Thanksgiving meals. The vegan option is only $14.99 a person. This is less than I will spend making my own things to take to Thanksgiving, but I won't get the joy of cooking....

The vegan Thanksgiving Dinner offers:

-Celebration Roast

-Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes and Vegan Mushroom Gravy

-Roasted Cinnamon Dusted Butternut Squash

-Wild Rice with Cranberries and Apricots

-Fresh Cranberries with Orange and Ginger

-Vegan Dinner Rolls

-Vegan Pumpkin Mousse

That's REALLY good for $14.99. I'll probably end up spending twice that amount cooking myself for large dishes that I'll probably be the only one to eat; making a tofurky or roast and my own gravy and a pie and probably some sort of side dish everyone can eat off of.

I just don't know what to do. What do you guys think?

I've considered buying the meal and making an additional side to share, too.

GRAH to the holidays!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If only you are eating it i'd personally buy the meal and make a dessert and side for the whole family to share.

That is unless you know your going to eat it all. I love tofurkey sandwhiches so i'm buying a whole roast for me. Lunch for a week!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That meal sounds delicious... I need to see if my whole foods is offering that. I will be alone this year and don't really feel like cooking.

Anyway, I wanted to say I hated the tofurkey. Just my opinion. My mom felt the same way your family does last year and bought the tofurkey for me. It was very strange in and of itself, since I've never eaten meat, so her deciding I needed a turkey substitute is bizzare. (oh yeah, and everyone in that house is vegetarian - did I mention that, I'm the only vegan, but they don't eat turkey either). I have nothing to compare it to, since I have never eaten turkey or any other meat. The "skin" was just too nasty for me.

I say get the Whole Foods meal.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Wow. If I was going to a Non-Veg. dinner or family gathering for Thanksgiving, I'd definitely go for the Whole Foods meal too!

That way I'd get gravy, stuffing, all the things I love (and can make vegan) but I wouldn't have to make a whole "batch" - THAT gets expensive...

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Wow. If I was going to a Non-Veg. dinner or family gathering for Thanksgiving, I'd definitely go for the Whole Foods meal too!

That way I'd get gravy, stuffing, all the things I love (and can make vegan) but I wouldn't have to make a whole "batch" - THAT gets expensive...

·
Registered
22 Posts
you should get whatever makes the day least stressful for you. but i have to agree with trueveggie, the tofurkey is pretty nasty. i haven't had it in years,.

and that is because it was not good!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Whole Foods today and put in the order.

I have a brochure here about the dinners. On the back, it has a list of participating stores. Here's the list for you guys:

ILLINOIS

Chicago

Sauganash

South Loop

Deerfield

Evanston

Palatine

River Forest

Wheaton

Willowbrook

MICHIGAN

Ann Arbor