VeggieBoards banner

digestive distress

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Groovy chick 
#1 ·
Is vegetarianism good or bad for your digestive health?

I've heard from various sources that the diet can help with constipation but it can also cause more bloating and gass. Have any of you had a problem with this? Or has it helped your bathroom habits/digestion instead of hurting it?

I'm recovering from severe weight loss due to digestive problems and an eating disorder....I hope that I can still be a vegetarian because of my beleifs but if its harming my stomache I'm not sure what I should do....

Has anyone else gone through this type of situation?

Also, I cant tolerate beans or a lot of soy...if that makes any difference?

#2 ·
Overll, a vegetarian diet is considered better for your digestive system because it typically contains more fiber (the average meat-eating american only gets 1/2 of the fiber they actually need), which can help "keep things regular".

Initially, vegetrinisn can cause more bloating and gas because your body takes time to adjust if you're eating a lot more fiberous food. However, once you're body ajusts, things typically go back to normal in those cases.

I've gotten the impression from my N and from reading that some people with ED have trouble with constipation/bloating at first simply because thier body is so used to having so little food/bulk going through it that it takes time to adjust.

Hope that helps

#3 ·
I agree with Tinydancer,

You will need to adjust slowly and possibly chew your food very well or blend it into veggie/fruit shakes.

Your question: Is vegetarianism good or bad for your digestive health?

Depends on the diet you eat, if you are a vegunkatarian and eat mostly highly proccessed white flours, sugars and oils I don't think it is any worse than the SAD diet. If you eat a lot of vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds then I think vegetarianism is GREAT for your health.

You can go either way.

Coca Cola is vegan right? Have you seen what it will do to a tooth or a penny soaking in it for a couple weeks?

Beans should be part of a healthy diet. Maybe you could try eating just 1-3 everyday and work your way up. I think a small amount like 3 beans would be very gentle on your digestive track.

#4 ·
^ Coca Cola won't actually do anything to a penny (we did an experiment with it in elementary) - it goes flat way before anything actually happens. That's just an urban myth.

Start off with lower-fiber foods (some refined grains, nuts or split lentils/peas instead of heartier legumes, etc), and work your way towards more fibrous ones as your digestive system gets used to it. Vegetarianism is very good for your digestive health once you have adjusted.

#7 ·
Well...I've been recording my intake at fitday.com to make sure I get enough calories (dont know how well I'm doing with that though....) and it records fiber as well..

I average about 20-25 grams a day...is that high or low or inbetween? I feel stupid but I just dont understand what is HIGH fiber or wut not....meh...

#8 ·
You should be eating in between 18-30g of fibre every day.

Good sources of fibre include:

Beans, lentils and peas

Fresh and dried fruits - particularly if the skins are eaten

Vegetables - particularly if the skins are eaten

Nuts and seeds

Wholemeal and granary breads

Jacket potatoes

Wholegrain breakfast cereals

Wholemeal pasta and brown rice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.