VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had to register my boss for a conference that's taking place in thailand in a couple of months and under food preferences it listed "Indian Vegetarian" and "Chinese Vegetarian". It's the first time that I've seen that particular type of classification before. Has anyone else seen this before? What's the difference?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
This is what I could find for you:

Quote:
Indian vegetarian many Indian vegetarians eschew eggs as well as meat. However, all consume dairy products. Veganism is unknown in India.
From what I could find on "chinese vegetarians" it looks like no meat, no dairy, no eggs (strict vegetarian). I would call ahead and ask the difference and please post what you find out. You have peaked my curiosity!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could it have to do with specific religious/cultural reasons to be vegetarian? I'm curious to know for sure because I've long appreciated vegetarian options in chinese and indian cuisine though the food is very different. As far as I know, Indians almost never use egg products and use a lot of yogurt and milk while the Chinese tend to use egg but not dairy. Its a interesting contrast. I'd love to know if the distiction between chinese and indian vegetarians is somehow related...

11,550 Posts
i'm with ketivnilloc here. whenever i fly (on a plane) the meal options seem to include indian vegetarian and asian vegetarian. which one you choose decides if you get curry or stirfry on the plane, i bet its similar here.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I tend to agree with SeaSiren, my Hindi flatmate (who was vegetarian from birth) had told me that he never had eggs due to religious reasons.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
A smidge OT, but as far as dairy being ubiquitous in Indian cooking, it seems several people have said that's not exactly the case, and that if you tell the folks at Indian restaurants you're "pure vegetarian," they're likely to understand that means no animal products at all.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Veganism may not be 'known" in India but it is practiced.

It is called "pure vegetarian".

Many restaurants in larger cities in India advertise this clearly on signs outside the restaurant, and have whole sections of their menus marked "Pure Vegetarian: Contains no meat, seafood, dairy or eggs".

My ex traveled a great deal in India and even though he isn't vegetarian, he took pictures of some of the signs and brought back several menus just to show me 'cause he knew I'd find it interesting...

Of course that doesn't answer the original question, sorry.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like Indian resturants because they know what a vegan is.

now, I just made plane reservations and the meal choice was hindu, vegetarian, bland, low sodium, etc. why don't they include vegan? I have to call them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I guess it has something to do with what kind of meals you get, like with an airline. They probably want to know, which kind of preparation your boss likes more Indian or Chinese.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I've seen this classification many times when buying airline tickets. I'm not sure it's 100% safe to assume chinese/asian vegetarian means vegan, but I think in most of the cases it is. I've also heard from a Real Hindu (tm) that they don't classify eggs as vegetarian.

Veganism is not entirely and totally unknown in India, as already mentioned. I thought the Jains were vegans, but I just read on a web site that said they are in fact not vegans, but lacto vegetarians.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

I thought the Jains were vegans, but I just read on a web site that said they are in fact not vegans, but lacto vegetarians.
I always assumed that Jainists would be fruitarians. Anything else goes against their entire core belief of ahimsa.

dairy? LOL ahimsa indeed.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

I like Indian resturants because they know what a vegan is.

now, I just made plane reservations and the meal choice was hindu, vegetarian, bland, low sodium, etc. why don't they include vegan? I have to call them.
I found that often, "vegetarian" meant vegan on airlines. They frequently had "vegetarian" and "lacto-ovo vegetarian." And then indian veg & asian veg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.