VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a soya yogurt.

On the top of the carton, it says that the usual ingredient of rice syrup has been changed to tapicoa syrup.

What is the difference between these and can I eat the tapioca syrup (i.e. does it have sugar)?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Doesn,'t anyone make PLAIN anything anymore. Why do they add a syrup of any kind in the first place. What is wrong with plain soya yogurt on its own. You can add fruit, nuts or some other real food product to enhance the flavor can't you?

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Anything rich in starch can be processed to convert the starches into sugars, for example, malting barley or corn to make sugar that is then converted to alcohol (whiskeys). Both rice and tapioca can be malted, so I suspect that's what you're getting.

I don't know if they then add cane syrup to your product, if that's what you're getting at, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Tapioca syrup is literally syrup from the tapioca root. If cane sugar were added,this would be listed as a separate ingredient. All in all, if it's syrup, it's a sugar.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Tapioca syrup is literally syrup from the tapioca root. If cane sugar were added,this would be listed as a separate ingredient. All in all, if it's syrup, it's a sugar.
That's what I thought too Froggy, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the information though. Much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts