VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lots of great suggestions on how to start the other day. Thanks. I see that a lot of people suggest eating rice, pasta, etc. I need to loose 20 lbs. Can I still eat all these carbs and loose weight? I was on the medifast diet which is mostly soy protein. I did loose weight on it as long as I didn't eat many carbs. Of course I went off and started eating bad carbs again. Is it carbs that you gain weight from or just too much processed food? What does everyone eat in a day that doesn't include high amounts of carbs. I would love to just be able to eat salads, fruit, rice etc. Do you think I will gain
or do I have to limit my calories to 1200 to loose also?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I did the low carb thingy back in the day and lost weight, couldn't keep to the plan and when I went back to carbs (mostly processed) it all came back.

Now I eat piles of carbs, this time none of it processed... all whole grains, lots of veggies and legumes too. Weight has come back off and much easier to maintain now.

Anecdotal I know, but it's working out wonderfully for me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I did the low carb thingy back in the day and lost weight, couldn't keep to the plan and when I went back to carbs (mostly processed) it all came back.

Now I eat piles of carbs, this time none of it processed... all whole grains, lots of veggies and legumes too. Weight has come back off and much easier to maintain now.

Anecdotal I know, but it's working out wonderfully for me.
So if one first does low carb to lose weight and then go to your meal planning to maintain it, that would be the most optimal then?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I don't know I've lost 60# since August doing the whole food plant based thingy... so I wouldn't go as far to say low carb has anything on a whole food vegan diet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you eat any fruit? Some people say eating couple pieces of fruit sometimes slows weight loss.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Yes I do, not a lot though maybe a couple of servings a day. Dates in my oatmeal or a banana and some berries in a fruit smoothie.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212abc View Post

I got lots of great suggestions on how to start the other day. Thanks. I see that a lot of people suggest eating rice, pasta, etc. I need to loose 20 lbs. Can I still eat all these carbs and loose weight? I was on the medifast diet which is mostly soy protein. I did loose weight on it as long as I didn't eat many carbs. Of course I went off and started eating bad carbs again. Is it carbs that you gain weight from or just too much processed food? What does everyone eat in a day that doesn't include high amounts of carbs. I would love to just be able to eat salads, fruit, rice etc. Do you think I will gain
or do I have to limit my calories to 1200 to loose also?
You can eat whatever you want if you cut calories. I'm not sure why you said 1200... it depends on your how much calories you're intaking currently, which should be related to your weight and activity level.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

You can eat whatever you want if you cut calories. I'm not sure why you said 1200... it depends on your how much calories you're intaking currently, which should be related to your weight and activity level.
Of course, eating whatever you want is not quite beneficial when you are cutting calories.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
One thing about carb diets they only work temp, why don't you measure the pasta and rice ETC to the serving and also fruits and veggies and other things and use portion control, this is what i am doing, I had ice cream and grasshopper cookies last night the thing is I had it in a small bowl and only small serving of each.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Of course, eating whatever you want is not quite beneficial when you are cutting calories.
I was talking strictly weight loss. For general health you shouldn't just eat whatever you want, I agree.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

One thing about carb diets they only work temp, why don't you measure the pasta and rice ETC to the serving and also fruits and veggies and other things and use portion control, this is what i am doing, I had ice cream and grasshopper cookies last night the thing is I had it in a small bowl and only small serving of each.
Problem for me especially with sweets and high fat/high processed food is I have a really, really hard time controlling myself once I get started... so for me it's best to avoid the stuff altogether and avoid the temptation. It tastes good but adds virtually nothing of nutritional value and before I know it I've consumed half my days calories in crap. Portion control does not work for me whatsoever. I have to eat lots of low cal high fiber "bulky" food if I'm to control the hunger.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
see I don't like alot of sweets , just had regular ice cream last night because there are crushed cookies we had to use up and that is the only way I was able to eat them, however I don't eat alot of traditional ice creams tho and I get the non dairy , it just my husband was at walmart and I told him to get some for a treat, nothing wrong with that but, I fully understand, I had hostess cakes a few weeks ago a few boxes but I got the fix.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

see I don't like alot of sweets , just had regular ice cream last night because there are crushed cookies we had to use up and that is the only way I was able to eat them, however I don't eat alot of traditional ice creams tho and I get the non dairy , it just my husband was at walmart and I told him to get some for a treat, nothing wrong with that but, I fully understand, I had hostess cakes a few weeks ago a few boxes but I got the fix.
I'm not sure which ones you've had but most of the Hostess products contian beef fat and other non veg*n ingredients.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've lost 47 pounds so far. I do not count calories or worry about portion sizes at all. I follow a low fat, whole foods vegan diet. The Engine2 Diet is really good. So is Eat To Live. I was vegan before, but was eating wayyyy too much fat, "junk", and processed foods Following this way of eating has been amazing.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganveg View Post

I've lost 47 pounds so far. I do not count calories or worry about portion sizes at all. I follow a low fat, whole foods vegan diet. The Engine2 Diet is really good. So is Eat To Live. I was vegan before, but was eating wayyyy too much fat, "junk", and processed foods Following this way of eating has been amazing.
That's just what I was going to recommend!
Other books by Joel Furhman and Dr. Neal Barnard are very good. Eat More, Lose Weight, and, the New Four Food Groups.

Check out PCRM's website for it's 21 day vegan weigth loss challange.
http://www.21daykickstart.org/

Moderation for some people (most?) only means the lull before the binge. It does for me. I'm going back to eating whole foods, with minimal added sweeteners and oils. After a while craving leave, you do however, need to be commited.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

That's just what I was going to recommend!
Other books by Joel Furhman and Dr. Neal Barnard are very good. Eat More, Lose Weight, and, the New Four Food Groups.

Check out PCRM's website for it's 21 day vegan weigth loss challange.
http://www.21daykickstart.org/

Moderation for some people (most?) only means the lull before the binge. It does for me. I'm going back to eating whole foods, with minimal added sweeteners and oils. After a while craving leave, you do however, need to be commited.
I'm the same way with moderation and portion control. IN the long run they just didn't work for me. Love PCRM too.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Cut out refined sugar and fruit juices and eat fresh fruit instead. Eat lots of different vegetables and wholegrains. Eat plenty of plant protein: legumes, quinoa, tofu etc. Exercise.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Cut out refined sugar and fruit juices and eat fresh fruit instead. Eat lots of different vegetables and wholegrains. Eat plenty of plant protein: legumes, quinoa, tofu etc. Exercise.
This sums it up!
Losing weight after my second pregnancy at 35 was hard until I did this, ^^ And gave up dairy, oh and yoga daily.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganveg View Post

Wow. That's great. I know I like too much sweets and I agree with Forster, when I have sweets and chips in the house they call my name from the cupboard. I don't eat the transition foods like I used to but I really do need to cut out the junk foods. So I'm starting again this week.

Today I went shopping and decided not to buy bread. I do have some crackers in the house I'll use instead. I'm going to stick to more veggies this week and cook some lentils.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts