VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so glad that I wasn't feeding my dog "dog food" with all of this nasy recall going on. He has been eating what we eat. When that included meat, of course, he got that. But now that we eat veggie, I'm not sure if he's getting all he needs. What do you feed your veggie pet?

Oh forgot to mention: He's a 130 pound golden retreiver.

·
Registered
674 Posts
He weighs much more than me! Wow, he must be a handful.

Dont have any tips really, just felt like commenting. Im sure he is happy and healthy =)

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He actually sits that great big butt on my lap...lol It's time for his spring check up, they keep telling me they are going to use the "O" word if he doesn't slim down (obese).

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
You need to actually plan out meals for him to make sure he is getting the right balance of foods so he gets enough protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals. Him just eating what you're eating is neither appropriate nor healthy. You wouldn't just eat dog food every day would you?

There are many books that exist that give you recipes for appropriate balances of human foods for dogs. I strongly recommend you get one and/or speak to your veterinarian about a well planned diet. I would be especially concerned because 130lbs sounds like an extremely unhealthy weight for a golden, unless he exceptionally large boned.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a vet appointment scheduled for a couple weeks from now and I definately plan to talk to him about the diet. I was just hoping that someone had some suggestions as to what they feed their (veggie) dog that I could follow until then.

Nope, he feels more like a manatee than a dog...I know there are bones in there somewhere. I'm going to get yelled at (again). He's just so darn cute, that I have a hard time telling him no when he sees me munching. Spring is here, so more walks are on the schedule too, we've both spent way to much cuddle time on the couch.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I have a vet appointment scheduled for a couple weeks from now and I definately plan to talk to him about the diet. I was just hoping that someone had some suggestions as to what they feed their (veggie) dog that I could follow until then.

Nope, he feels more like a manatee than a dog...I know there are bones in there somewhere. I'm going to get yelled at (again). He's just so darn cute, that I have a hard time telling him no when he sees me munching. Spring is here, so more walks are on the schedule too, we've both spent way to much cuddle time on the couch.
You should know better than he does though. One of my cats wants everything we're eating, and is constantly YELLING for food when we're in or around the kitchen (and sometimes he comes to find us when he wants food). He breaks into cabinets to find treats and will pull down the recycling to get an empty can. He does NOT get more food than he needs though because I do not want him getting overweight. I am the rational minded human, not the stomach minded cat. We don't ignore him when he's begging for food though. Instead of feeding him he gets pets or play time or some catnip or an open window to sniff out of. We love him in ways other than with food.

Not being able to feel bones is a seriously bad sign. You're setting him up for joint problems, diabetes, heart problems, breathing problems, liver problems, increased risk of complications if he ever needs anesthesia for anything, problems tolerating heat, and they live shorter lives than trim dogs. There are studies that show that animals that are fed less live longer than animals who are fed "recommended" amounts of food.

Instead of waiting a couple week to go to the vet, you could begin by getting a book on homemade pet diets. Some examples off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Food-Cook...5611603&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Dogs...5611603&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Barkers-Grub-E...5611706&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Pet-Diet...611706&sr=1-18

I'm sorry, I'm just kind of shocked that you would take your pet's health so lightly.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You need to actually plan out meals for him to make sure he is getting the right balance of foods so he gets enough protein, carbs, fats, vitamins and minerals. Him just eating what you're eating is neither appropriate nor healthy. You wouldn't just eat dog food every day would you?

There are many books that exist that give you recipes for appropriate balances of human foods for dogs. I strongly recommend you get one and/or speak to your veterinarian about a well planned diet. I would be especially concerned because 130lbs sounds like an extremely unhealthy weight for a golden, unless he exceptionally large boned.
Agreed. Dogs need more protein than humans, for one thing. Also, some healthy human foods can be dangerous for dogs. Dogs shouldn't eat raisins, grapes, chocolate, macadamia nuts, onion, large amounts of garlic, avocado and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

There are brands of veg*n dog food out there. Natural Balance wasn't involved in the recall and they make a veggie dog food. I've been trying to find out if they buy any of their ingredients from overseas but can't find anything.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just really worried about feeding him dog food anymore. First, there is the whole recall thing, which lead me to research the industry itself. It's gross! They even grind up and use euthanised pets in dog food and there are worse (if you can imagine) things that that.

I'm just not comfortable with the food industry as a whole anymore and want to do as much as I can myself so that I know what we are eating.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Quote:

I'm just really worried about feeding him dog food anymore. First, there is the whole recall thing, which lead me to research the industry itself. It's gross! They even grind up and use euthanised pets in dog food and there are worse (if you can imagine) things that that.

I'm just not comfortable with the food industry as a whole anymore and want to do as much as I can myself so that I know what we are eating.
We just had a big argument about this in another thread. The FDA did a study and made a statement saying there were NOT euthanized pets in pet food. If you are worried about mainstream pet foods, there are brands that contain a lot of whole real foods (i.e. Wysong). If you want to cook for your pet, that's fine too, but do it right. Do research into proper pet diets. Choosing to cook for your pet is certainly a big committment and shouldn't be taken lightly.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

We just had a big argument about this in another thread. The FDA did a study and made a statement saying there were NOT euthanized pets in pet food. If you are worried about mainstream pet foods, there are brands that contain a lot of whole real foods (i.e. Wysong). If you want to cook for your pet, that's fine too, but do it right. Do research into proper pet diets. Choosing to cook for your pet is certainly a big committment and shouldn't be taken lightly.
Do you really believe ANYTHING the FDA says! They are driven by money. My pet is worth the committment. I do a lot of research. Commercially prepared food is nasty.

BTW: I have an article on eutanized pets and more being in the pet food. I tried to copy/paste the article, but it was too long. I will try to find the link.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If you're concerned about pet food ingredients buy a high quality "human grade" pet food, they do make them. I feed my cats innova EVO, it's expensivie but I feel it's best for them.

As others have said, if you want to feed him a homemade diet-great, but make it actually better than commercial food. Right now you're litereally killing him, faster than if you were feeding him walmart brand dog food. Dogs have needs very different from humans and his weight should be a big RED FLAG something is very wrong.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:

Do you really believe ANYTHING the FDA says! They are driven by money. My pet is worth the committment. I do a lot of research. Commercially prepared food is nasty.

BTW: I have an article on eutanized pets and more being in the pet food. I tried to copy/paste the article, but it was too long. I will try to find the link.
Though I don't believe the euthanized pets in pet food theory, I do agree most mainstream dog foods are crap. The premium, human grade foods are different and are definitely much better than just feeding your dog whatever you eat.

I think a homemade diet is the best of all for a dog, provided it's a diet specifically formulated for a dog and not a human.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll check into the human grade foods, thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing.

I checked out some pet recipes online and some diets. Actually, (according to what I read) I haven't been doing that bad with what I have been giving him (lately). Please know that he didn't gain all this weight overnight. I have just started on this journey looking deeply into health and nutrition. I am learning a lot. I can't change any of my past mistakes with my own nutrition or my pets (he used to eat regular dog food, plus obviously too many goodies). I am looking to do better and just seeking advice. I thought I read on this board of someone who made their dog a home made veggie diet. I just wanted to see if I was on the right track. I have an appointment for him at the vet, he will tell me to put him on a diet (again) but this time I WILL follow through and we WILL get more exercise. All journeys start with the first step.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just posted a similiar question yesterday only it was about cat food. Not many people have responded yet. I did some research on vegancats.com. They have a mix where you can make your own food and also have kibble and wet food you can buy and it's interely vegan. I think I'd like to start out 50% vegan so I can mix in some natural brand of food that still has meat in it and go slowly from there.

I'm almost out of cat food and I want to make a decision soon on what brand to get next. I don't think I'm up to making homemade food.

Any comments would be appreciated! Someone menioned Iveno. I will check that out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Some table food is not healthy for pets. You're better off making homemade pet food designed for your dog.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pcc_poisonsafe

Quote:
Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet

- Alcoholic beverages

- Avocado

- Chocolate (all forms)

- Coffee (all forms)

- Fatty foods

- Macadamia nuts

- Moldy or spoiled foods

- Onions, onion powder

- Raisins and grapes

- Salt

- Yeast dough

- Garlic

- Products sweetened with xylitol
Archive of questions about "people food".

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...ask_peoplefood

Ask the APCC - Okay or No Way?

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...e=pro_apcc_ask

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob1969 View Post

Some table food is not healthy for pets. You're better off making homemade pet food designed for your dog.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pcc_poisonsafe

Archive of questions about "people food".

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...ask_peoplefood
I don't feed him any of the no no foods. Actually, since I have started cooking for him, his coat is healthier looking and he has lots more energy. I have checked some of the sites regarding pet diets and I am doing way better than I thought I was. I'm not just scraping our dishes for him, I'm actually cooking for him. I do have to get some suppliments though.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

Lots of research mentions that raw diets are better for cats and dogs than processed food. But I do agree that you need to plan out what to feed him so his diet is balanced. And remember: If it's not in the plan, he doesn't get any.

Raw Pets

Natural Balance Raw

Home Made Raw Food Diet For Animals

Switching To Raw

I hope these help you.
These are great sites. Thank you.

They basically say that dogs should get 90% protien and 10% fruits and veggies and to stay away from the carbs. My question, I don't buy meat for my family, but I do make sure we get enough protien through other sources, beans, flax, etc. Can I substitute the raw meat for another protien source? This is what I have been doing by the way. I also have been adding a little bit of olive oil to him (I think that is responsible for his glossy coat).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts