VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video was exactly what I was hoping for. I've been a vegan for the past few years, so none of this was new to me. However the way it was presented was very refreshing. I'm always looking for materials that I can loan to others that will help influence them to a vegan lifestyle. Unfortunately, I can't get many people to read whole books, but I'm sure I can get them to watch a video.

This starts off with reasons why a diet low in animal products benefits your health. It is very straightforward and dispels some common misconceptions. It explains itself clearly with facts and interviews and isn't at all confusing or difficult to follow.

It gradually works its way into the animal aspect. It shows the terrible conditions that they are kept in without showing things that are too graphic. You see what it is like at a dairy farm in California and even hear from the owner of the cattle. You see a newborn calf and learn what its fate will be.

From there it goes into the affect that diet has on the environment. It shows you examples of pollution and you hear from a concerned mother about the contamination of her water supply.

It gives the viewer a lot to think about.

I bought it from the used & new section of Amazon.com for around ten bucks.

I'm going to make copies of this and my Veganism in a Nutshell cd to pass out to friends and family.

I definitely recommend this video.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I wonder if my Mom would watch this video. It would at least be a different way to approach her about changing what she eats.

Thanks for posting about it Erin, now I know it's out there.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to send a copy to my mother too. Even if I can't get her to watch it, I think I can get my sister who lives with her to.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thank you Erin for sharing this.

I have a mini library of my own on veggie subjects

also - I donate one item a month to the library (the library here has a video section - don't know if all do).

This would be a great thing to donate (I considered donating my copy of "A Cow at my Table" - but didn't want to create that kind of stir as it's pretty in your face *s*)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you care to make any video recommendations? I got 2 copies of an Animal Liberation Collection video from the Vegan Book Project. It's pretty powerful stuff. I'm giving the extra copy to the library. We do have a video section at ours but there is nothing pro-veg or pro-animal rights. Do you know if the Library will accept copies (not originals) of videos?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I would say the best video to give to people would be The Witness. It is really well done, has won awards in numerous film festivals, and you can obtain special leaflets to give to your librarian, teachers, professors, etc. to demonstrate that this is a quality documentary, not just propagandist claptrap like they may fear that it is.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thalia - I was asking about this in another section of the board (animal rights I think) - Oatmeal started a thread. I'm unfamiliar with that video, but I'm interested.

A Cow at My table is a good video (though not for children because it is so graphic)

Meet your Meat is good (but difficult as it is so graphic)

Hope for the Hopeless - battery hens (also quite graphic)

My issue with many videos is they come off extremely controversial, graphic, and in your face. While this is fine for those of us who are on the "right" side of the issue - - it's difficult to show to the people who really need to see it. There needs to be someone who will produce videos with a softer edge so people can have a chance to get their feet wet. Also - MOST of these videos are not suitable for children. I wish someone would produce some designed for children (again - with a soft edge so the parents will allow them to watch). These are my opinions

You should only make copies if the author allows it (Meet Your Meat can be copied - so can the Veganism in a Nutshell CD)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
It's interesting digging through old posts and finding this. I'm starting to get to know some of these people now (A Cow at My Table's director, as well as John Robbins). It's kinda cool to see their work recommended to others. I hope to produce and direct something in this vein within the next couple of years or so that merits such attention.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Wow it's been ages since I saw this movie. Well 5 years I guess, but I don't remember any of it. Maybe I'll rent it again after I finish reading his Food Revolution book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts