VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a family reunion, rode the motorcycle. The reunion was up in the mountains as that's where my Mom's side of the family is from and our family land is up there. I had a "Honor Flight" of WWII vets to get to the airport, ride the 150 miles to the reunion, hang out a while, ride back to the meet place to get the vets out of the airport and home. Anyway, the point is, I had all the leather and patches etc.. on as this was a Patriot Guard mission.

So, I show up at the reunion and there's probably 75 people there, all family. Some camping, a couple of RV's, two cabins, etc.. They have a big assed grill out there. the kind you would BBQ a whole pig on and they have it full of meat. 15 big, what-cha-call-it's like, rib sides or whatever and a whole bunch of chicken cooking. I'm all biker-ed up and can't wait to see their faces when I say "None for me. I'm a vegetarian." Actually, I ate a half a organic peanut butter sandwich, an apple and a banana. Anyway, every time I didn't oh and awe over the meat and said I was a vegetarian jaws dropped.

It was good for a few laughs. Most didn't even believe it until I simply wouldn't eat meat.

Yesterday my Mom sent me a long email about how this was going to negatively effect my health. I laughed and basically said it wouldn't and that it wasn't really for her to worry about. Nevertheless, I know this ain't over. My Mom grew up in the era when fried chicken and a pound cake was a healthy meal. You gotta understand. My people on that side are mountain people with a strong Cherokee undertone. Saying your vegetarian is like saying you're Communist. It's un-American (I'm being a bit extreme just cause it seems funny in my head).

Anyway, I know I'm gonna have to deal with the frustration of fighting this battle over, and over, and over. I will be nice like I always am. But, I ain't eating no frikkin meat, period. I think I'll bring some veggies and make some good stir fry. I'll bet it'll go over great. And if it don't, more for me. I need another beer.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
One of the best ways to win over doubters is to bring delicious vegetarian food to their events with enough to share. Also, over time they'll see that you're serious and that you're not dying, and hopefully they'll back off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I ate a half a organic peanut butter sandwich, an apple and a banana. Anyway, every time I didn't oh and awe over the meat and said I was a vegetarian jaws dropped.
Do you like faux meats? You might win them over better at a big grill-fest with that kinda thing rather than fruit. Just saying.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that it changes anything but.., the biker leather was purchased in 1981. I think at this point it would disrespect the animal to toss it.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Awesome. I think I know your family, or their mentality rather. My family on both sides are farmers and hunters. So I stand out and most of them just don't get it. But I agree, after I while they will stop telling you that you will die or that you will change your mind. I agree about bringing great tasting veg food to share next time.

BTW, I love your avatar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can relate to this topic. Some people, including relatives, have expressed suprise and concern that I am vegetarian. I been lacto vegetarian since 1998 so I thought maybe they should realize this won't kill me. And as far as convincing other people or doing what I believe is right, maybe I don't have to make a big deal out of it or be defensive. I just do my thing and let them be. I guess ALL of us have certain habits, traditions and behaviors that we have gotten comfortable with. And none of us like to be told that we are wrong. But maybe we can have some respect for each other. No matter how different we may be.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am lucky to have parents checking into a semi vegeterian lifestyle as we speak, so they are supported of me now of my decisions. However, my concern is my sister's husbands what they will say but, I came out with my sister in 09 at Christmas and she asked about me going Vegan , I said not sure just Veg and I think her husband was sitting next to her at the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your post made me chuckle. I'm a daughter of the midwest and it's definitely seen as "un-American" by several family/friends that I don't eat meat. Thankfully, they love me anyway.

P.S. I, too, like the avatar. Brings me to tears every time I see the Patriot Guard Riders at an event.

·
Registered
379 Posts
LOL I'm down south where bbq and chicken fried steak run rampant. I know your pain. Have another beer, it works for me. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope you win them over with your stir fry
I'm from the UK and luckily, most of my family members are quite supportive of my lifestyle choice. We have quite a lot of cafes and restaurants that cater specifically for vegetarians and vegans so I guess it's something that's more popular over here.

It's natural for your mum to worry about your health
She'll soon stop worrying though when she sees the good it's doing you
Vegetarianism did numerous things for my health!

·
Banned
841 Posts
I grew up in the South myself, where I had a lot of resistance to me being vegan. People acted like I was un-American, and often a witch. It's definitely been a lot easier since I've been abroad. Actually, it shocks a lot of people when they find out that I'm American AND vegan!

That said, cooking is definitely the way to win people over. If your mother or anyone else is resistant to your choice, a nice copy of The China Study or Forks Over Knives may be in order. She should relax more if she sees that it will benefit your health.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree, cook something awesome and bring it next time

I once brought a yummy faux "meatloaf" to a gathering where my mother was serving the real thing, some people liked mine better, haha.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nera View Post

LOL I'm down south where bbq and chicken fried steak run rampant. I know your pain. Have another beer, it works for me. :)
Same here!

Props for both being veg and for your Patriot Guard activities!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts