VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m only halfway into the 30 day vegan challenge, but I have dropped a few pounds already.

I'm a little skeeved by some of the fake meat products out there so i've been cooking all my meals from scratch - - so many beans and veggies! Beans are a recipe for weight loss right there - - keep me full and well, regular!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the best way to do it too, beans and veggies are awesome! And yes, losing a few pounds is to be expected, as it has happened to me on my transition to being vegetarian, and then vegan. I believe it has to do with the fact that your body is working harder to digest all that good stuff, due to the high amounts of fiber and protein, and in turn, you're using more energy to do so.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I never lost any weight going from veggie to vegan, that's because i was purposely gaining weight to achieve the size i wanted to be.
I'm still in a seemingly never ending cycle of weight gain and weight loss, until i reach my desired weight.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Before I went vegan August 1st, I was mostly vegan for a couple of months and vegetarian since February 1st. I've lost almost 18 pounds.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Yeh I did unfortunately, so I made a concerted effort to introduce more fat to my diet to maintain a healthy weight, otherwise I would've ended up as the stereotypical skinny-arse vegan woman that omni's love to point out as being pale, sick and unhealthy. Pffft.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I lost weight when I went vegetarian, but by the I was ready to forgo all cheese and other animal products I'd learned vegan baking. So I gained most of it back.
Now people are hearing about the 30 day weight loss thanks to Barnard and think all sugar and oil is non vegan. I need to quit them too!

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I lost about 15 pounds, nice side effect

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Yeh I did unfortunately, so I made a concerted effort to introduce more fat to my diet to maintain a healthy weight, otherwise I would've ended up as the stereotypical skinny-arse vegan woman that omni's love to point out as being pale, sick and unhealthy. Pffft.
This is me too. I've actually already found that my health has drastically improved because I was so aware of not wanting to lose any more weight that I upped my calories in general and became more conscious of it. Numerous people have commented on my rapidly increasing 'glow' and I think it's a combination of the veganism AND the eating more in general.

Kudos on the weight loss to those for whom it's a desired side effect
! It does make sense that wholefoods will do that and it's great to hear you're happy with the change! Hooray for veganism! I also like that this is good evidence against carbs fear. Most vegans I know eat a lot of healthy wholegrains and still lost or maintain weight. Poor wholegrains, still copping such a bad rap!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I lost about 20 pounds but I was obese to begin with. If I lose three more pounds I'll go from slightly obese to extremely overweight. It just doesn't seem fair.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
No. But I do stupid stuff all the time like using way too much olive oil, or buy a huge can of mixed nuts and then eating half the can at once.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Lost 15 or so pounds within the first couple of months last year, then another 5 or so this year. I've been pretty stable at about 114-115 pounds for awhile now.
Vegan for, oh wow, going on a year and a half I suppose. Seems like it was a year not that long ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I lost quite a bit when I went raw vegan, but I think I wasn't getting enough calories. I've put on weight again since giving up raw... and I go through stages of eating bad things like fake meats and other processed crap that makes me chubs. When I just eat veggies, beans, and wholegrains I lose it again. Best way to eat!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyVegan View Post

[...] I think I wasn't getting enough calories.
Well, that's certainly how it works.

I maintained my weight, but I'm conscious of the amount of calories I take in daily. Most people don't pay attention to calories so they tend to lose some weight because a lot of vegan food isn't calorie dense. Just check the "What did you eat today?" kind of threads for posts by new vegans. You'll see some completely unintentional starvation level diets. Luckily most of them tend to adjust pretty quickly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

No. But I do stupid stuff all the time like using way too much olive oil, or buy a huge can of mixed nuts and then eating half the can at once.
Ha!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I gradually lost quite a bit of weight, about 50 pounds total over a period of about 3 and a half years. I didn't try to lose the weight though I did need to and I am now at a healthy weight. Getting rid of all that fat from the meat and dairy just made the pounds come off without effort.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts