VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing dishes tonight and had the news on in the background, mix in running, yelling children and I'm not sure if I heard this news story right. Did anyone hear or read that the wheat that was the culprit of the pet food recall may have gotten into our food as well?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes that is true. I read it on the internet the other day. The reason they believe that is because the wheat gluten was sold at "food grade" and not "feed grade" Food grade is suitable for animal AND human consumption.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ok now I'm afraid to make the seitan stirfry I was gonna have tonight :-( I dont want to do anything that could hurt the baby :-(

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
On the news this morning was that even MORE pet food brands have just been recalled. There seems to be no end in sight at this point.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newveggirl82 View Post

Yes that is true. I read it on the internet the other day.
N'ere a truer statement's been said.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
wonder if this will prompt US citizens to rethink buying so much from China? Probably not, but it would be a smart thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Now that there are uncertainties about how early the toxic stuff went out (and of course I no longer have my empty packets/cans to check the lots) I think I may have blood work done on my cats just to see if any kidney damage was done. Might not hurt to know so I can at least be extra careful in what I feed, and know to look for signs earlier as they get older if the damage is only minimal. So far I haven't seen any excess water drinking or urination, but they both love water to begin with.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocjohn View Post

wonder if this will prompt US citizens to rethink buying so much from China? Probably not, but it would be a smart thing in my opinion.
I did my grocery shopping yesterday and put down several items that said they were the "product of China." I want nothing to do with thier food.

Have you ever gone through your house and checked to see where your items where made, it's all from China! My kids and I did this with their toys one day, unbelievable. My husband is an optician and someone came into his shop and asked for a pair of American made glasses. They really had to dig through the piles to find one lonely pair. It's a sad statement and is exactly why our factories are all gone now. It was all the buy more and cheaper philosphy that so many fell into. We need to support American products, so that our workers will have jobs and we will have some quality control again. Have you noticed that most things purchased these days are "disposable." Washing machines and vacuum cleaners that used to last 25 years are lucky to make it five. And now our food. There is no reason to be importing food from China. This is all so bass ackwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I was doing dishes tonight and had the news on in the background, mix in running, yelling children and I'm not sure if I heard this news story right. Did anyone hear or read that the wheat that was the culprit of the pet food recall may have gotten into our food as well?
If this is true than what types of food should we avoid? I feed my cat organic food and I don't believe that the brand she eats has had any problems, but I never thought about it effecting human food too.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyka25 View Post

If this is true than what types of food should we avoid? I feed my cat organic food and I don't believe that the brand she eats has had any problems, but I never thought about it effecting human food too.
Don't panic. Read the rest of the thread.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the story that IamJen linked in her post View Post

"We didn't know at the time whether or not wheat gluten had made it into the human food supply," said Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine. "We asked CDC to put a special emphasis on looking at increased incidents of renal failure in people."..... But there were no spikes in illnesses, and the human food ultimately tested clean. The FDA tried to comfort Congress today, saying there's "no evidence" any bad gluten got into human food thought the agency still doesn't know where it all went.
If I'm reading this right, they simply don't know where it all went to, but there's "no evidence" that it went into the human food supply? I'm not trusting that at all. IIRC, the FDA is also the same organisation that said the BSE problem isn't as bad as all that and their testing standards are just fine for catching and weeding out this sort of problem.

For obvious reasons, I trust them about as far as I could kick them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

If I'm reading this right, they simply don't know where it all went to, but there's "no evidence" that it went into the human food supply? I'm not trusting that at all. IIRC, the FDA is also the same organisation that said the BSE problem isn't as bad as all that and their testing standards are just fine for catching and weeding out this sort of problem.

For obvious reasons, I trust them about as far as I could kick them.
I totally agree with you! They are prolly just saying that it didn't get into human food so people don't start panicking and suing them. I totally don't trust the FDA either, they have said a lot of things are perfectly safe which totally aren't. I guess we shall just have to wait and see what happens, this reminds me of the spinach scare. I wonder if this will be a new trend, with every week or month or so we have to start avoiding certain foods.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts