VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terri and Bindi are the wife and daughter of the late Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter. They went on the Ellen Degeneres and talked about how much they loved animals. Bindi, who is about 8 years old, talked about how much she loves all animals and when she is walking with someone she reminds them not to step on ants and other insects.

At this point I am thinking, "how nice, they must be vegetarians." At which point Bindi talks about how she was eating beef jerky in Ellen's green room backstage!!

So, she reminds people not to step on ants but she is fine with eating meat?? I know she is just a child but anyone should be able to see the hyprocrisy in avoiding ants but eating cows. At the very least her parents, who say they have love of animals, should have instilled in her a love and respect for all animals.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Well, her mother is one of those "wildlife warriors" who see conservation as the latest tourist kick. Terri makes a mint off her late husbands zoo and her child's television antics.Terri (Terry?) does do a lot for conservation but it's all in the aid of the almight $$$$$ It's disgusting what she's doing with that child.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
It's too painful watching that child being exploited so I've tried to stop watching. I'm kind of glad her and her mum are out of australia a while.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I don't know about the parents (I never watched Steve Irwin stuff) but when I was a kid I made the smooshing insects = bad connection before I made the meat = bad connection.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think its hard to make the connection that meat was once a living breathing animal when you are young. I've always loved animals and hated animal abuse, but since my chicken nuggets were in fun little race car shapes and the chickens on the Purdue commercials looked so happy, it took me a long while before I made the connection. I don't think you can blame her, maybe the animal loving parents who maybe failed to explain to her where meat really comes from... but not her. :p

I think she is being exploited as someone else said. They should give her a break, I'm sure shes having a hard time cope, and now she has to make all these tv appearances.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
There's no definitive answer quite, unless the answer is in how maybe there's blithe ignorance at work that persons are subconciously subjecting themselves to and therefore not realizing obvious connections.... but that sounds too simple. There must and I think are other factors at work, though sure "blithe ignorance" is one of the main ones plus the child will be following suit of her mother and father I think as far as diet and in fact everything probably, and at such tender age still and so grief stricken too,, not surprising how showbiz is the obligatory 'answer' as the mother and child continue making a legacy.

That legacy is more for maintaining funds for the animals though surely as opposed to making selfish money like Kiz reckons on the dollar issue..

Anyway I'm thinking s0ad definately has a point on both issues, but here's my take....

Issues like these, at broad analysis are quite confounding on the face of it, but then the answer maybe hard to make definitive or absolute, if having a fit of reasoning, and not knowing what to think.... but I think having thought about it some, as I mention some of already, such fathoming and seemed complicated or confounding of issues are largely because of the childhood background circumstances being subject to fame and publicity and the rest, and because of those two factors alone, things are bound to be tangled psychologically (PLUS subparty to being a child= "thirdly" is the fact she is a child following parent habits being the most obvious way to explain)....

And what else more interestingly probably is that even with so many tongues that could wag, it may only be in background they do for a while as it maybe a while before Bindi hears a person say anything about meat not synching with her inherited or intergral love of animals, for people will I guess fear of upsetting the grieving process by mentioning anything like that, whatever they're morals or ethics are, but basicly akin to what s0ad says, how much is the way she's being peraded on tv, being loyal to grieving you could ask. But then to ask the bigger more persuasive (if typical) question and answer hypothesis, what choice does Terri really have than to remain high profiles really??

All one can say is that Terri must have made connection, only not made it common knowledge to her daughter, even though the knowledge is like already common. Thats the thing you see, what is common sense does not always appear in every human, and is not always so common, at least on issues like vegetarian not nearly acknowledged enough, even though I bet others here (as well as me) are pleading desperately with our conscience to speak an ear-shot of kind words for the greater good about the connection Bindo has yet to make. But as child and as she develops I'm sure will make the connection herself. Sooner the better, though, for the sooner she hears someone recognize for her the connection, the sooner she will make it her own life changing decision to make fir all to be inspired by, even if unable immediately to make the connection herself first. Either way lets just in a way ~pray that way~ but not pray that she gets exploited at the height in which it may seem she is being now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think Bendi is strange.

More like a robot than a child.

Creepy.

I don't know enough about the Irwins to praise or criticize them. I've heard/read both great things and bad things about them. Mostly good, though, and I tend to think their hearts are in the right place. I believe it is conservation and not just about the money with their family.

It's always sad when someone's husband/father passes in an untimely manner.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

Creepy.
LOL that !!! She is kinda, A BIT like a robot but in a child like (brain-washed or innocent & celubrious) way.

That sounds cruel but its only an observation I know. but then at other times she is described as non-contrived, so she can't be all robot, even if like she is reading from a script, but a script of her own making as I understand it,

as was the case I believe when she read to an audience just after Steve passed on ? And err, maybe she had a little help from mom, or otherwise she's just very into the immitation of her father that comes across to us as being robot in a sense, but that I believe can be explained away by how she is in the spotlight and repeats over and over how she loves animals.
Creepy or not, thats how it is in the spotlight, especially for a young child coming to terms with how she can live up to being her dad
Seems to me from bits of clio I've seen on Utube and a tiny bit on tv, she knows just what she wants to say it seems, and I think it is natural but very imbedded in her, the things she says, which make her seem robotic a little.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I feel sorry for her, and her mom and brother, too.

Her dad evidently loved his family a whole bunch, which must leave a horrible, aching hole in all of their hearts. Especially in the heart of a little girl who loves and idolizes her dad.

You are right - she's probably just careful saying what she thinks are the right things to say, and it sounds contrived because she repeats herself. I suspect she's a very smart child who has been cared for very well by her parents. But, she's still strange.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I feel sorry for her, and her mom and brother, too.

Her dad evidently loved his family a whole bunch, which must leave a horrible, aching hole in all of their hearts. Especially in the heart of a little girl who loves and idolizes her dad.

You are right - she's probably just careful saying what she thinks are the right things to say, and it sounds contrived because she repeats herself. I suspect she's a very smart child who has been cared for very well by her parents. But, she's still strange.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
It's difficult for children, who don't purchase their own food or know much of the outside world, to make the connection between hurting animals and hamburgers. Heck, it's difficult for many adults.

Maybe when she becomes a teenager Bindi will make the connection and stop eating meat. Or, she might become one of the zillions of people who love and cherish certain species while eating the body parts of others.

Check out the thread on David Attenborough in the Vegetarian Discussion for a similar conversatiion.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:

Creepy.
LOL that !!! She is kinda, A BIT like a robot but in a child like (brain-washed or innocent & celubrious) way.

That sounds cruel but its only an observation I know. but then at other times she is described as non-contrived, so she can't be all robot, even if like she is reading from a script, but a script of her own making as I understand it,

as was the case I believe when she read to an audience just after Steve passed on ? And err, maybe she had a little help from mom, or otherwise she's just very into the immitation of her father that comes across to us as being robot in a sense, but that I believe can be explained away by how she is in the spotlight and repeats over and over how she loves animals.
Creepy or not, thats how it is in the spotlight, especially for a young child coming to terms with how she can live up to being her dad
Seems to me from bits of clio I've seen on Utube and a tiny bit on tv, she knows just what she wants to say it seems, and I think it is natural but very imbedded in her, the things she says, which make her seem robotic a little.

ETA: MUSIC GIRL: I had to repost this morning because I could not access VB last night, little knowing you would beat me to posting. But your second post, now number#12 seems to be in reply to me.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:

Creepy.

That sounds cruel but its only an observation I know. but then at other times she is described as non-contrived, so she can't be all robot, even if like she is reading from a script, but a script of her own making as I understand it, as was the case I believe when she read to an audience just after Steve passed on ? And err, maybe she had a little help from mom, or otherwise she's just very into the immitation of her father that comes across to us as being robot in a sense, but that I believe can be explained away by how she is in the spotlight and repeats over and over how she loves animals.

Seems to me from bits of clip I've seen on Utube and a tiny bit on tv, she knows just what she wants to say it seems, and I think it is natural but very imbedded in her, the things she says, which make her seem robotic a little.

ETA: MUSIC GIRL: I had to repost this morning because I could not access VB last night, little knowing you would beat me to posting. But your second post, now number#12 seems to be in reply to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, it is not hypocritical. There are groups that support animal rights and those thas support 'humane' treatment. If one follows the humane school of thought, it is not hypocritical to eat cattle. Hopefully as time goes on she will change her mind and become veg*n.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Oh for Christ's sake, you are talking about an 8-year old child. Give her a break.
She isn't a typical eight year old. She has been raised with animals and respects them enough to not step on ants...

Plus, we are talking about her parents who should have taught her to respect all animals even the ones that are traditionally raised for food.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Oh for Christ's sake, you are talking about an 8-year old child. Give her a break.
I don't believe we are "having a yank on anybodies chain".... We are merely being observers in the main. And with it being objective, and generally liking the child and thus giving her a break, hopefully to become ve*gan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel terrible about what Steve's daughter has to go through with the media, interviews, etc. when her dad has just passed away. As far as the beef jerky thing goes, many people do not know how mistreated "food" animals are, and most don't want to admit they are even eating a dead animal. But there is some kindness there by respecting animals that most don't even think about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts