VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, and I tried the search function and didn't have success so I am so sorry if this has already been covered.

Tonight in laws are coming to town and want to show other family Texas BBQ- I am the only vegetarian of the group and this is a relatively new change (3+ months) so I don't expect them to remember this fact offhand. This place has posted articles on their restaurants website on the "dangers of being a veterinarian" and has "hidden" meat in most of their sides. All I can find online so far are vegan options, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any additional vegetarian options they may have? Their website is no help, many of the sides that I KNOW have meat in them don't list that (Baked Potato Casserole for example has small chunks of ham). Just looking for help so I don't have to go hungry- and a salad won't fill me up.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
BBQ beans? Texas toast. Cole slaw.

Reactions: BlueMts and Tom

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
I am new here, and I tried the search function and didn't have success so I am so sorry if this has already been covered.

Tonight in laws are coming to town and want to show other family Texas BBQ- I am the only vegetarian of the group and this is a relatively new change (3+ months) so I don't expect them to remember this fact offhand. This place has posted articles on their restaurants website on the "dangers of being a veterinarian" and has "hidden" meat in most of their sides. All I can find online so far are vegan options, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any additional vegetarian options they may have? Their website is no help, many of the sides that I KNOW have meat in them don't list that (Baked Potato Casserole for example has small chunks of ham). Just looking for help so I don't have to go hungry- and a salad won't fill me up.

A plain baked potato might work. Just eat it with ketchup.

They might also have plain wheat toast, which can be eaten with jelly.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts
Wow, I just checked out their website. They have a terrible selection of food - even their baked beans are pork flavored. Pure garbage.

·
person
679 Posts
Could you just eat yourself full before you go so you're not starving and then just get something to drink while you are there ?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts

Nothing. Eat somewhere where there is a veggie option (or a total veg restaurant). ;)

Reactions: BlueMts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BBQ beans? Texas toast. Cole slaw.
I was worried the beans would be cooked with some type of meat product so I steered clear.

A plain baked potato might work. Just eat it with ketchup.

They might also have plain wheat toast, which can be eaten with jelly.
I ended up getting a baked potato (which they at first told me they didn't have any! Then it turned into Oh we just don't have any ready it will be 15 minutes. Yeah, I will wait). I had it with cheese, chives and sour cream. Vegans would have had much less fun. I didn't ask about toast but I may keep this type of thing in mind in case I end up somewhere else equally as unaccommodating.

Wow, I just checked out their website. They have a terrible selection of food - even their baked beans are pork flavored. Pure garbage.
Yeah, when I was told that was where we were going I looked online and felt pretty lost.

Could you just eat yourself full before you go so you're not starving and then just get something to drink while you are there ?
I met them right after work or else I would have considered that. I do have a poor history with food, I try to always eat when others are to not feed into my guilty feelings with food, so being newly veg has had its difficulties.

Nothing. Eat somewhere where there is a veggie option (or a total veg restaurant). ;)
Wish that was an option, but since I wasn't paying and wasn't driving in from out of town I didn't have much of a say.

Thank you to everyone that responded. In case anyone else comes looking- the baked potato was huge, it was plenty to fill me up. Vegans will have a hell of a time, and they told me they don't discount salad plates just because you don't order it with the meat (which their only salad options also have meat). I would also steer clear of their BBQ sauce as so many down here also contain meat drippings/chunks of meat. Beyond that, there are no real options here.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I was worried the beans would be cooked with some type of meat product so I steered clear.

I ended up getting a baked potato (which they at first told me they didn't have any! Then it turned into Oh we just don't have any ready it will be 15 minutes. Yeah, I will wait). I had it with cheese, chives and sour cream. Vegans would have had much less fun. I didn't ask about toast but I may keep this type of thing in mind in case I end up somewhere else equally as unaccommodating.

Yeah, when I was told that was where we were going I looked online and felt pretty lost.

I met them right after work or else I would have considered that. I do have a poor history with food, I try to always eat when others are to not feed into my guilty feelings with food, so being newly veg has had its difficulties.

Wish that was an option, but since I wasn't paying and wasn't driving in from out of town I didn't have much of a say.

Thank you to everyone that responded. In case anyone else comes looking- the baked potato was huge, it was plenty to fill me up. Vegans will have a hell of a time, and they told me they don't discount salad plates just because you don't order it with the meat (which their only salad options also have meat). I would also steer clear of their BBQ sauce as so many down here also contain meat drippings/chunks of meat. Beyond that, there are no real options here.
Happycow.com is a place where you can look up veg*an or veg friendly places to eat. That might help. I still stay steer clear of Dickey's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts