VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
how much blueberries do you get for 80 cent really?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

You can play around with the costs and make anything look more or less expensive.
so you don't think eating vegan is cheaper than omni and vegetarian?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

so you don't think eating vegan is cheaper than omni and vegetarian?
Omnis can definitely spend less on food than vegans. The omni could buy frozen, seasonal fruit and veg, ready meals, cheap cuts of meat, cheap bread. The vegan could buy lots of fresh, organic produce, expensive vegan 'fake' meats and dairy, organic bread, health shop food. If I made this diagram with those meal plans, the vegan meals could easily be double or triple the omni ones.

1 omni pizza = £1.50
Organic aubergine (eggplant), pack of spinach, tomatoes, spices, rice, bread, fruit = £6

So Marie is right.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
of course you can make them to look like whatever you want, especially if you toss in specialty markets like Whole Foods.

however, eating vegan is generally much cheaper than eating omni, which is the whole point of that diagram, which I agree with from personal experience.

i used to spend over $100 on food for my bf and I in a week when he was omni and I was vegetarian, now that he is vegetarian and I am vegan our weekly bills are about $60.

many people assume that eating vegan is expensive, when really it isn't and people can actually save money instead of being discouraged that they can't afford to eat healthy.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I really want to know where you're shopping, there's not way blueberries around here are $0.80, unless you're talking per pound maybe.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used to spend very, very little on my omni diet. Well, when I was TRYING to (there would be times I'd say to hell with it and not stick to a budget). I definitely spend more now. *However* I eat mostly organic now, and tons of higher quality foods. I was eating factory farmed meat before. And non-organic produce (and not much of it either). And the white bread that was $0.44 a loaf at meijer. *barf* So yeah you can do any diet super cheap or super expensive. I'm healthier now though, so it's worth it. I figured up one time though, that if I did vegan super cheap, I could survive on $100 a month just for me. I wouldn't be as healthy though. I need my green smoothies and that's just not in a super-frugal budget unless you have your own garden.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I don't like the chart. I eat vegan, largely organic, and GMO-free when I can. I'm pretty sure you can by low quality omni foods and pay WAY less than I do on groceries.

Right off the bat... the organic blueberries I put on my rolled oats in the morning... you don't even want to know how much they cost.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even if I tried I couldn't spend as much as I did as an omni or vegetarian on a vegan foods, I don't know what you guys are buying but beans, grains and vegetables are cheap. Animal products are also more perishable than most vegan foods, how many families dump milk down the drain bc its spoiled every week? perishability adds to the cost IMO

As for the blueberries, there is a lot to consider with price when it comes to fruit, first of all the ones in the diagram are frozen not fresh so that already makes them more cost effective. Buying ANY fruit out of season or not local is going to cost more, so of course if you live in Maine and its blueberry season the cost will be far less than other places and not in season. I personally only buy seasonal produce and as local as possible, its saves a lot of money and environmental costs.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
For me, being vegan can be cheap or expensive. It depends on what I buy. I used to buy much more prepared vegan foods than I do now. Those things are more of a treat now. I'm really working on my weight so no chips and no vegan cookies. Savings right there.

My cheap dinner tonight will be rice, broccoli and carrots. Tomorrow I plan to cook some lentils. I don't think you can get much cheaper than that. Oh, I do buy the bagged greens for salad though. $2.00.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The blueberries they're talking aboutare frozen. Not fresh. That's why it's 80 cents.

I noticed that the breakfast and dinner plans of vegetarian and vegan are roughly the same except the vegan meal plans are missing a few items (yogurt, taco cheese and sour cream). If they're going to make up for them with other things like soy yogurt (80 cent for soy yogurt? maybe in my dream.), soy cheese and soy sour cream, the amounts are going to come up to roughly the same if not more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My husband and I spend roughly $50 per week on groceries for the both of us (which includes odds and ends like laundry soap, dog food, etc.) Whenever possible, we buy in bulk for things like grains and beans. A few weeks ago, our groceries only cost me $15! Stocking up on things like olive oil, grains, herbs and spices and other essentials really helps. That week we only bought cereal for breakfast, almond milk and a few things of frozen veggies. We made meals out of what we already had on hand.

Also: menu planning! It has been a life-saver for me. We plan a few meals for the week, usually around two or three, and eat the leftovers for lunches and dinners the next night. One pan of vegan stuffed shells lasts us three days. I write down what we need from the store, after making sure what we have at the house, and then, when shopping, if it isn't on the list, I don't buy it.
It saves a lot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

I don't like the chart. I eat vegan, largely organic, and GMO-free when I can. I'm pretty sure you can by low quality omni foods and pay WAY less than I do on groceries.

Right off the bat... the organic blueberries I put on my rolled oats in the morning... you don't even want to know how much they cost.
The PC Organics frozen blueberries are 5.99 at my loblaws.... which isn't too bad for organic
You should try and see if you can find them.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofulicious View Post

Reduced sections are the easy way to get things you want for cheap.
The stores we have here don't have reduced sections for fruits and vegetables. Unless they're hiding it from me? If you're talking about the other non-produce foods, then it's hit or miss depending on the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

The blueberries they're talking aboutare frozen. Not fresh. That's why it's 80 cents.

I noticed that the breakfast and dinner plans of vegetarian and vegan are roughly the same except the vegan meal plans are missing a few items (yogurt, taco cheese and sour cream). If they're going to make up for them with other things like soy yogurt (80 cent for soy yogurt? maybe in my dream.), soy cheese and soy sour cream, the amounts are going to come up to roughly the same if not more.
Where the heck are you shopping? I want to find frozen blueberries for 80 cents, here it's about $2 (maybe less, I haven't checked lately)!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You're not going to find blueberries for .80, and I really don't think that's what's being implied, fresh or frozen.

I can buy a package of frozen blueberries for about $3-$4, and I don't dump the entire bag onto my oatmeal. I'm more likely to use, say, one-fifth of the bag and close it up for later. .80 cents worth of blueberries goes into my breakfast for the day.

Here's another way of looking at it...
The price of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

1 jar of peanut butter = $2
1 jar of blueberry preserves = $3
2 loaf of sprouted bread = $5
Total cost = $10

You must buy all of these things to make a PB&J

But, the actual cost of a single sandwich is:
2-3 TBSP peanut butter = .20 cents
2-3 TBSP preserves = .50 cents
2 slices sprouted bread = .35 cents
Total cost of sandwich = $1.05

But, you can not buy peanut butter for .20 cents, preserves for .50 cents, or some bread for .35 cents.
That's not how grocery stores opperate.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Logic, FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

You're not going to find blueberries for .80, and I really don't think that's what's being implied, fresh or frozen.

I can buy a package of frozen blueberries for about $3-$4, and I don't dump the entire bag onto my oatmeal. I'm more likely to use, say, one-fifth of the bag and close it up for later. .80 cents worth of blueberries goes into my breakfast for the day.

Here's another way of looking at it...
The price of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

1 jar of peanut butter = $2
1 jar of blueberry preserves = $3
2 loaf of sprouted bread = $5
Total cost = $10

You must buy all of these things to make a PB&J

But, the actual cost of a single sandwich is:
2-3 TBSP peanut butter = .20 cents
2-3 TBSP preserves = .50 cents
2 slices sprouted bread = .35 cents
Total cost of sandwich = $1.05

But, you can not buy peanut butter for .20 cents, preserves for .50 cents, or some bread for .35 cents.
That's not how grocery stores opperate.
In regards to the cost of specific diets, it varies. it is certainly possible to eat very cheaply on a vegan diet, same as an omni diet. One will be more healthful, for sure though.

Also if one is not buying organic or natural products, it is very inexpensive compared to natural and organic selections, obviously.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts