VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many diabetics are on vegan/veggie here and if you've encountered dietary issues.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, I'm Type II Diabetic. Since I have gone Vegan, my sugars hve started to go way down. I'm hoping to go off of insulin soon. I'll still be on two oral meds after that, but as I lose weight, I would like to get off of them all. I have been having issues with low sugar attacks lately. It's been hard figuring how much insulin I need to take at night, because i always get my attacks over night. Thank goodness i alwys wake up. Other than that, my doctor is extremely happy with my lifestyle (what do you know, a "smart' doctor).

Laura

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Yes, I'm Type II Diabetic. Since I have gone Vegan, my sugars hve started to go way down. I'm hoping to go off of insulin soon. I'll still be on two oral meds after that, but as I lose weight, I would like to get off of them all. I have been having issues with low sugar attacks lately. It's been hard figuring how much insulin I need to take at night, because i always get my attacks over night. Thank goodness i alwys wake up. Other than that, my doctor is extremely happy with my lifestyle (what do you know, a "smart' doctor).

Laura
Have you seen this yet?
http://www.rawfor30days.com/themovie.html

Dr. Cousens also has a book on it as well. I've read the book but haven't seen the movie. I'm not diabetic but it's really great info.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Laura
Thank goodness you wake up, indeed!! My mother was diabetic (type 1, from 17 yrs) and the older she got the more she ate vegetarian. I guess I had a lot to do with that. That's why I'm interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not diabetic but I've had blood sugar issues all my life for some reason ( serious ones ) . Went vegan. Problem resolved despite paying little attention to Glycemic Index etc these days. Happy happy!

·
3,936 Posts
This is some research I saw on TV a few years ago.

Quote:
A simple vitamin deficiency may be the cause of many of the side effects of diabetes, a study suggests. Researchers found people with the disease expelled thiamine - vitamin B1 - from their bodies at 15 times the normal rate in a study of 94 people.
The Warwick University team said thiamine helped ward off complications such as heart disease and eye problems, the Diabetologia journal said.
Experts said diet supplements could potentially help people with diabetes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6935482.stm

I'm type 2, and I take a mega dose of B1 three times a day.....By cutting out eggs and dairy I lost quite a lot of weight, which must be helping with the blood sugar levels, but I'm not sure...I became diabetic about a year after cutting out eggs and dairy, although I think I still ate dairy chocolate at the time, but I was probably on the way to being diabetic for years.
Been a veg since I was a kid.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Update: I bought Dr. Cousen's book and I am now raw. I only lasted 1 day on the raw juice fast (just too much work). I'd say I'm doing 90-95% raw. I decided to stop taking Actos first insted of insulin, because it seems to be the more dangerous drug. Blood levels have been perfect. I had an extremely stressful week last week (Mom went into hospital), and I still managed to lose 2.2 #. I am finding it easy to do and I figure as the weight comes off, the meds will go away. It's all good!!!

Laura

·
Registered
668 Posts
BTW, Thanks Doctormartini for the info. You may be the reason everything turns around for me. I am forever grateful.

Laura

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:

Update: I bought Dr. Cousen's book and I am now raw. I only lasted 1 day on the raw juice fast (just too much work). I'd say I'm doing 90-95% raw. I decided to stop taking Actos first insted of insulin, because it seems to be the more dangerous drug. Blood levels have been perfect. I had an extremely stressful week last week (Mom went into hospital), and I still managed to lose 2.2 #. I am finding it easy to do and I figure as the weight comes off, the meds will go away. It's all good!!!

Laura
You just stopped taking the drug by yourself? I'd consult a doctor or health care professional first, even though they'll probably say what you're doing won't help lol. Good luck with everything! Keep me/us updated!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

You just stopped taking the drug by yourself? I'd consult a doctor or health care professional first, even though they'll probably say what you're doing won't help lol. Good luck with everything! Keep me/us updated!
Thanks for being concerned, but my doctor is pretty laid back. She seems to be happy with everything I am doing as long as I am headed in the right direction. She always judges by how my tests come back. I think she knows that I do what I want with my body anyways. We'll see how I'm doing next month when I go in for tests.

Laura

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Oh, sounds like a pretty cool doctor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have read a fair amount of research about the vegan diet and its benefit for type II diabetes mellitus sufferers.

It is always best to consult your doctor regarding any medication changes you think you might need.

The theory is that when you have higher level of fat in your body, in organs and muscle tissue etc, insulin becomes ineffective at transferring energy (sugar in the form of glucose) into our cells. So our body stops producing insulin because it is being unused.

Because the fat the is responsible for this insulin resistance is primarily from animal products, it is possible you would see an improvement in your condition. Like some of the other guys here!

Lol I'm pretty sure that's right, I did read it a while ago. PM me if you want me to dig out the research and send it to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts