VeggieBoards banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, not sure if this has already been posted but I had a question concerning my boyfriend's skin. Hopefully some of you may have the answer to it.<br><br>
Recently my boyfriend went vegan (was a vegetarian for a month prior to this if that helps with anything), and he had no acne problems at all! Lately he's been having really really bad acne breakouts. I'm not sure if it's because of his diet change that caused this to happen .. (but he has been pretty stressed from work and all but he usually does't break out from it)..<br><br>
Does anyone know what may have caused this or is this natural for some people to break out from a diet change?<br><br>
* I personally have never had this problem when I went vegan and don't know anyone who has so I'm really hoping someone could help. Thanks in advance.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Most people have their acne clear up, not develop. Interesting...

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Maybe a detox.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I've heard of acne sometimes being caused by adding things to one's diet, but not subtracting... did you change anything about your diet or lifestyle besides just cutting out animal products?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did he cut out animal products and replace them with a lot of oily foods to keep himself feeling satisfied? I did something similar. Lots of margarine, tater tots, chips....generally greasy stuff that's not very good for you. If not that, I would agree that it may just be a detox..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His lifestyle hasn't changed much. Just the normal daily routine of him going to work every day. :/<br><br>
And Limes (if I may call you that), he doesn't really eat greasy foods. He's the one who'd avoid fried foods and what not. :p I'll agree that it may just be a detox, but I'll keep an eye on his skin for the next few days and weeks to see if it goes away (hopefully) ! Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne#Diet" target="_blank">There's a correlation between carbohydrate content and acne.</a> Maybe he's relying a bit too much on carbs to keep his tummy full?

·
Banned
437 Posts
How about a soy allergy? Acne is a common symptom of that. I'm allergic and although it's a comparatively minor symptom compared to what else happens, I flare up VERY badly for a few weeks anytime I ingest it. Could be the symptom of a food intolerance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get acne from methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin. No problem with hydroxocobalamin<br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><b><span style="font-size:medium;">Acne and systemic disease.</span><br></b><br><br><br>
Acne is the most common disease of the skin. It affects 85% of teenagers, 42.5% of men, and 50.9% of women between the ages of 20 and 30 years.96,97 The role of hormones, particularly as a trigger of sebum production and sebaceous growth and differentiation, is well known. Excess production of hormones, specifically androgens, GH, IGF-1, insulin, CRH, and glucocorticoids, is associated with increased rates of acne development. Acne may be a feature in many endocrine disorders, including polycystic ovary disease, Cushing syndrome, CAH, androgen-secreting tumors, and acromegaly. Other nonendocrine diseases associated with acne include Apert syndrome, SAPHO syndrome, Behçet syndrome and PAPA syndrome. <b>Acne medicamentosa is the development of acne vulgaris or an acneiform eruption with the use of certain medications.</b> These medications include testosterone, progesterone,steroids, lithium, phenytoin, isoniazid, <b>vitamins B2, B6, and B12</b>, halogens, and epidermal growth factor inhibitors. Management of acne medicamentosa includes standard acne therapy. Discontinuation of the offending drug may be necessary in recalcitrant cases. Basic therapeutic interventions for acne include topical therapy, systemic antibiotics,hormonal agents, isotretinoin, and physical treatments. Generally, the severity of acne lesions determines the type of acne regimen necessary. The emergence of drug-resistant P acnes and adverse side effects are current limitations to effective acne management.<br></div>
</div>
<br><a href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19932324" target="_blank">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19932324</a>

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A detox is probable when it happens during a few days and then goes, if it's regular breakouts, a detox is most unlikely.<br><br>
Yeah normally i have always seen the acne disapear, not appear...<br><br>
an unlikely possibility is that he takes milk or eggs in some products he buys in the supermarket, i've seen it happen and have it myself when i buy myself this kind of product by mistake, but i have only seen with people who are vegan since many years.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Don't take this wrong, as I don't know him, but could he be using steroids or some testosterone supplement to bulk up?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Has he changed his skin care regimen, perhaps switching to "vegan" products? I also wouldn't discount stress. Maybe he hasn't been coping as well lately. Is he getting enough sleep and exercising daily?<br><br>
Detox is a pseudoscientific idea that keeps getting thrown around. I don't think there's any evidence behind the claims that you should experience any kind of decline in health when adopting a healthy plant-based diet. Greasy foods also don't cause acne, that is a well known myth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts