mostly carbs, so this concerns me. I don't know what else I can do to

keep this from happening...and yes, I brush my teeth often! I need a

new toothbrush too but that's beside the point... and I also use

flouride and have healthy gums and teeth otherwise. Can my eating

patterns cause all of this??

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
With all due respect to your dentist........

He isn't a nutrition expert (I don't know if dentists get any kind of training in that area at all ..... even MD's get next to none)

Cavities & Carbs only have a relationship if they remain on your teeth/gums to "rot".

Do you floss (correctly) every day? This is very important.

Almost more important than brushing.

Do you brush after every meal?

Do you eat a lot of refined sugars (colas, candy, etc.)

I notice that you are around 15 years old, so you are in the cavity years still. If you were over 25 and getting unexplained cavities (while maintaining a proper oral hygeine program) that might be different.

By the way - I'm not an expert either, so take my comments for what they may or may not be worth

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I turned 15 last week :)

I checked out a little family dental history and found out that my dad and my brother both got loads of cavities around my age...

It's just a little confusing because I'm being a good girl, brushing after meals and using flouride at night, not drinking soda or eating candy... oh well, I'll just have to accept it now :\\

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
anna - That happens to me too. I brush, floss, and use mouthwash, don't drink soda or eat candy, yet I get cavities. Whereas, my brother doesn't floss EVER, doesn't brush too often, is addicted to Coke and PB M & Ms, yet gets no cavities. I'd call him lucky, except he's on his 2nd set of braces and has had root canals/etc.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooo...root canals, nasty stuff there. I remember teasing my brother about how many cavities he had as a teenager... and now, here I am, another teenager with cavities

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I just had my first cavity filled in December and I'm 23. I brush twice a day, but I don't really floss... and I don't drink soda... I do drink a lot of (floridated) water... (and i'm a veggie)

One of my friends, however, actually flosses regularly (how odd...) and brushes a lot and also doesn't drink soda but does eat meat.. and he's got heaps of cavities and just had all his wisdom teeth out. He did, however, always have unfloridated water.

I think its the luck of the draw.

My mom didn't have cavities til she met my dad and she 'caught' his. :p ew.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
oooh....i hate thinking about dental work! i'm in the midst of having over $2500 in work done to my mouth...the price i'm paying for being a dental slacker in my youth

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
A few weeks ago I found out I have 3 cavites. I guess I did not take care of my teeth too well. These are my first I am 22. I am trying to make an effort to take care of them better.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just went for a dental check-up and the dentist said 3 of my old fillings may need rework because it seems the cavities are acting up again. It's going to cost $400! I told her I have no money and will have to wait. Bleh!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's kind of funny, I'm brushing my teeth like a fiend now lately... after I eat ANYTHING now, I brush, brush, brush! I feel a little obsessive with this, but if it'll keep the novacaine (sp?) away, I'll do it!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
heh keegan I had five bonus teeth not all were in the bottom of my mouth.... they seemed to come in everywhere. In high school, when getting braces I had to have them all pulled because they were really messing up my mouth....

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I did not have to get teeth pulled to get braces but my husband did. I think that the first ortho we went to wanted to.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I had bonus teeth too, but they eventually managed to either fall out (baby teeth) or find their place in my mouth. My parents thought for sure I'd need braces, but I didn't in the end.

For everyone who are heavy brushers - please don't forget to floss as well. I have serious gum issues and every expert I've ever consulted says that it was primarily due to my poor oral hygene in the flossing department. Once I started flossing regularly (at least once a day) and brushing/rinsing - I haven't had any further degeneration of my gums (that and getting my smoking habit under control).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the braces topic - I had to get 4 - or was it 5? I don't remember - teeth pulled before my braces could go on. Since then I've developed a very, very strong fear of novacaine ... I got 7 or 8 shots of novacaine that day ... couldn't eat or drink anything for a day. It was pretty awful.

Can't wait to get more shots for those cavities ...

·
Registered
279 Posts
ana-

first of all, my advice is to do the best you can with the cavities but also realize that they are sometimes random. I used to brush my heart out while my brother would hardly EVER brush. my mom was always on his ass to brush. the night before the dentist, that mofo would brush and he'd get a glowing report. meanwhile, the red dye test always pointed out the areas I was missing etc. it was so annoying!!

I recommend getting a Sonicare toothbrush if you can afford one. they have come down in price quite a bit. I believe they are still like $70 or so. they have interchangeable brush heads so you could actually share one.....

anyhow, they are amazing. work very well and are very good for gum health as well. they guarantee a better check up after using it for a few months...and rightfully so because it does wonders. i'm a big fan.

XOXO

beth

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd be careful of the electric toothbrushes, or even how you brush in general. I used an electric toothbrush for a couple years and even though I was never a heavy brusher, I had to stop because it began to make my gums recede! I've gone back to using a normal, plain, soft bristled brush and haven't had any more gum problems, but unfortunately gums don't regenerate!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do use an electric toothbrush, but I have to admit, the bristles on the brush head were pretty worn out...but I have a new one now, so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts