VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it vegan? I know it is a Boca and I ate it all the time when I was vegetarian, but now that I am vegan IDK and the waiters are often idiots who dont know. Anyone else get anything else when they go to Dennys that is vegan?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Is it vegan? I know it is a Boca and I ate it all the time when I was vegetarian, but now that I am vegan IDK and the waiters are often idiots who dont know. Anyone else get anything else when they go to Dennys that is vegan?
They switched it over to an Amy's burger instead of the Boca one several months ago and yes the Amy's burger is vegan.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Its yves burger where I am, but those are also vegan so it doesn't really matter. Are the buns vegan? I was just at a Denny's today and i didn't want to ask the waitress to check the ingredients cause it was packed.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
The type of burger depends on the region and location you're in, as they are a franchise and now required to use the same brand of veggie burger at all restaurants, you can ask them what type it is, and if you're very worried, ask what the allergens are listen on the box, that will tell you if they have milk in them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
According to veganxpress the burger and whole wheat or sesame buns are vegan. It specifies to ask for no butter on the bun. Also it says the English muffin and bagels are vegan. And of course all veggies just make sure to ask for no butter and such. I should say the only potato product listed as vegan on this app is the baked potato, so I would stay clear of hash and country fried.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
From comments on Vegan Eating Out (for at least North Carolina):
Quote:
Pulled from VegNC.com: Denny's vegan food include oatmeal, English muffins, bagels, grits, applesauce, fresh fruit, vegetable plates, seasoned French fries, baked potatoes with several vegetable toppings, garden salads with light Italian or oil-and-vinegar dressing, and sandwiches that can be made with several vegetable options. It also serves a vegetarian burger which is not vegan.
And also:
Quote:
Denny's restaurants will now offer Amy's meatless burgers. Denny's restaurants throughout the US have added Amy's Kitchen meatless burgers to their menus. The Amy's Veggie Burger-touted as a "better for you" option-normally comes with Pepper Jack cheese, but the vegan patty can be requested without the dairy toppings. The Amy's burger was added to menus in more than 1500 locations on August 24, and is replacing the chain's former vegetarian patty. The burger will be available any time of the day at every Denny's location in the US. "We value our strategic partnerships to give consumers what they want and expect from Denny's: value and choice, in a welcoming environment," Denny's Product Marketing Manager Minh Huynh said. The white sesame seed burger buns at Denny's are vegan.
I haven't been to a Denny's near me in a while, but now I want to so I can see what's over here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sometimes I'll meet up with some family members and sometimes they'll be at a place like Denny's. I don't order anything, even if it's vegan, and I decline if anyone wants to buy me something, even if it is orange juice. As a one who follows vegan philosophy I don't just restrict myself to a vegan diet, it's a lifestyle. I do not want to support any efforts towards cruelty, even if it is someone who buys me orange juice. That money is supporting the company to kill more animals, so I'd decline.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

From comments on Vegan Eating Out (for at least North Carolina): And also: I haven't been to a Denny's near me in a while, but now I want to so I can see what's over here.
I went to my local Dennys shortly after they announced the switch to the Amy's burger. I found the meal fairly disappointing but experiences always differ by location. My burger was obviously microwaved to the point where it was a hard like a hockey puck and impossible to even cut with the steak knife they give you with the plate. The bun was stale and while they omitted the cheese like I suggested, the also omitted all the other toppings (lettuce, tomato, etc). I'd give it another try though if I were travelling and it was one of my only choices of places to eat. (Subway gets really boring after awhile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post

Sometimes I'll meet up with some family members and sometimes they'll be at a place like Denny's. I don't order anything, even if it's vegan, and I decline if anyone wants to buy me something, even if it is orange juice. As a one who follows vegan philosophy I don't just restrict myself to a vegan diet, it's a lifestyle. I do not want to support any efforts towards cruelty, even if it is someone who buys me orange juice. That money is supporting the company to kill more animals, so I'd decline.
Where do you draw the line though? Do you buy your groceries at supermarkets that also sell meat and dairy products? Do you avoid all restaurants, cafes, coffeehouses, general stores, etc if they aren't strictly vegan??

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:

Good philosophy BUT I would starve to death if I was that strict about it. I agree with fadeaway, where do you draw the line? Do you research the fertilizer that is used to grow veggies?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've never been a big fan of Denny's, but I have been waiting for an excuse to go there and get a veggie burger. Yes, I can heat up a veggie burger at home and put some frozen fries in the oven, but there is something that seems subversive about getting vegan food at Denny's..

·
Registered
892 Posts
isn't the oatmeal also vegan there? Edit stupid question I googled it, found this on the peta2 website http://www.peta2.com/stuff/s-eat1.asp
"Denny's vegan goods include oatmeal and tons o' fixin's, English muffins, bagels, grits, applesauce, fresh fruit, baked potatoes that can be topped with several vegetable choices, vegetable plates, seasoned French fries, garden salads with light Italian dressing or oil and vinegar, and sandwiches that can be made with several vegetable options."

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I've never been a big fan of Denny's, but I have been waiting for an excuse to go there and get a veggie burger. Yes, I can heat up a veggie burger at home and put some frozen fries in the oven, but there is something that seems subversive about getting vegan food at Denny's..
I think it's great to go into a place like this with friends and family and not get stuck with a limp, brown iceberg lettuce salad. I appreciate it when restaurants add veg*n friendly food like this option to their daily menus. (Even better when these places are open 24 hours and offer endless refills of coffee
)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:

Many coffee and tea places like starbucks have sandwiches that have meat and cream/milk to add to their drink....shoot even most clothing stores have an animal by product like wool. If it's all or nothing, where do you purchase your food and drink or do you grow your own? The only exclusively vegan store is a couple of hours away (and most people don't even have one in their entire state) and they don't have produce, so that would be impossible for me, unless I grew my own fruits and vegetables on the premises indigeonous to our region, and drink juices squeezed from those and prefrozen for the winter, or strictly water from our tap. Even Whole Foods and Co-ops sell meat and dairy and those are from suppiers, and although a healthier alternative, it's much like how Denny's buyers do....and now they have Amy's in common.

I have read that their veggie burger combo is vegan if you hold the cheese, ask for the white (?) bun, and request to have to cooked on a separate grill from their non-vegan items (not sure if they can really do that). I don't go to mainstream fast food places because it's junk and even their vegetarian/vegan items have junky preservatives, but as far as patronizing establishments because they happen to also have non-veg*n items on the menu or on their stocklist is beyond hard....at least for me it would.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Beware the garden salad.... I thought it would be a simple pile of lettuce, but they put a lump of shredded cheese on top that I spent half an hour trying to remove all the bits of. I stopped in for an iced tea and a small snack, thought this would be a safe option, never thought I'd have to say no cheese. So if you get the side/garden salad, say no cheese and don't trust the croutons either.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnipmouse View Post

Beware the garden salad.... I thought it would be a simple pile of lettuce, but they put a lump of shredded cheese on top that I spent half an hour trying to remove all the bits of. I stopped in for an iced tea and a small snack, thought this would be a safe option, never thought I'd have to say no cheese. So if you get the side/garden salad, say no cheese and don't trust the croutons either.
This happened to me too right around when I first went vegan! So annoying but it made me be more careful in the future.

Also I give the Denny's vegan burger a 6/10, it's not the greatest thing ever but if you're drunk at 3am it's a perfectly acceptable thing to shove in your face.
tongue3.gif

It also helps that you can get spicy fries instead of regular and they now have avocado and mushrooms as topping options, every restaurant should have the option to add avocado to things in my opinion

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
As far as premade veggie burgers at restaurants go, Denny's is really pretty good. I have low expectations for Denny's food anyway--I never really choose to go there, but pretty much only go if friends insist on going to a breakfast place. I guess I did go once just to get the veggie burger, but I considered it research.
smiley.gif
I was very pleasantly surprised. If I had to rate it, it only make sense to rate it with other Denny's food, in which case I would give it more like an 8 or 9/10.

In my experience, among Denny's, IHOP, Cracker Barrel and Perkins, Denny's is the only one that has a meal that is easily made vegan on the menu, so I have to give them some respect for that.

Regarding cheese on salads, this is the norm sadly, not anything weird about Denny's. Some places even put hard boiled egg on their salad, so you really do have to ask, unfortunately. I have yet to find store-bought croutons that are vegan, so I tend to assume restaurant ones are not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.