VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eating a hijiki chicpea salad sandwich from VwaV and it is absolutley delicious and everyone here at work it making fun of me for eating such "weird ****" but yum it is so good, you should all try it if you have that cookbook and if you do not have that cookbook you must buy it, I use it all the time!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

What do chickpeas taste like, (if you can compare them to anything)?
To me, they have a bit of a creamy texture, although they are not a soft legume. If you actually mash them up (which takes some time), they have a bit of a crunchy/creamy texture.

As far as taste goes, they would be a cross between a white northern bean & maybe an undercooked pinto bean? Clear as mud, 'eh?

I personally like them cold in salads and such as opposed to warm in stews or soups. But I LOVE them in hummus!!!

HTH,

Michelle

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Aimra- just go and buy a can and try them. You should be able to get a can for under a dollar. They're also called "garbanzo beans." My favorite way to eat them is as a chick pea curry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are creamy and a bit nutty, they are so good. I eat them so much in so many different ways, you must try them.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was just going to describe them as a bit nutty. I love them and have that cookbook and am going to have to check out that recipe.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Okay. I'm going to the grocery tonight after work. I'm definitely looking for chickpeas. My husband is going to think I'm nuts.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Why?
Most omnivores I know eat chick peas. They aren't a "weird" food, they're at every grocery store in the main aisles with the other beans and canned food.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Aimra:

I'm betting he's already had them in some form and not known it.

You may know them as garbanzos or Ceci beans.

They're in most 3-bean salads. In almost every salad bar I've ever seen. In baked beans or chili or 12-bean-soup. In common vegetable, but not necessarily vegetarian, soups (often Ministrone).

In pasta and/or macaroni salads.

And for those of us who adventure into ethnic cusine, they're used in many Indian and Medeterranean foods.

You'll find millions of vegetarian recipes using them, once you buy that first can and say to yourself "Well, now what?"

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You'll find millions of vegetarian recipes using them, once you buy that first can and say to yourself "Well, now what?"
Absolutely. A day without Bongos is like a day without sunshine!

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
another note - In my experience, garbanzos freeze better, whole, than any other bean/pulse. This makes them great for soups and stews that you can make in large batches and freeze for later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts