VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder where you bought your dehydrator from. I'm trying to find one at the moment, I'm in the Boston area, but the ones that I have been able to find are way over my budget (which is a very small budget, by the way, I can only spend $100 tops at the moment). I just need one that works.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well, my bf and I have a weird one that is actually designed for Sausage - although you can do fruit or veggies or bread etc. in it also. It is a more powerful one and is made out of stainless steel. It is call the The SausageMaker and we bought it online. It works very well except it is sort of noisy - it is more powerful than most dehydrators. (my bf is really into dehydrators - he is trying to design an infrared one for a friend)

Obviously you don't need one like that!
I think the cheapest but good one are either L-Equip or Excalibur. I have used Excalibur before and it is good. I haven't used L-Equip so not sure how good it is (I heard it is not the best).

You don't have to buy from here but these are cheaper prices:

http://www.living-foods.com/marketpl...hydrators.html

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fooddehydrators.html

I don't think you will be able to get one that is under a hundred - you will probably have to go a few bucks over.

I am not sure where in Boston (store-wise) you could buy one. You may want to call any health food store to ask. It is a speciality item so places like Crate and Barrel don't carry it. You may be able to buy a fruit and veggie dehydrator at places like Bed, Bath and Beyond but you will be limited to dehydrating just those things. Those are small and not very powerful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,

Of course, the raw food standard is the Excalibur. I've heard of people using a brand called American Snackmaster I believe, available at Walmart. It also has a temperature gauge.

All the best,

Audrey

www.rawhealing.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just fyi, I have an American Snackmaster handed down and I'm not thrilled with it. I am actually saving to get an Excalibur. The Snackmaster does have a fan but the heating element is at the bottom, so the lower trays dry faster that the upper ones, which means you have to rotate. Also the trays are round with a hole in the middle, and it only came with one non stick tray - not only is it not really non stick but because of the shape I can't just buy some Texflex or whatever they are called and add them to it.

So even though they are cheap if you plan on doing a lot of dehydrating especially things like crackers or fruit leather, it might not be the best option. Mine is pretty old, though, so it is possible the newer ones are better.

HTH

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Are thos Ronco dehydrators any good?
I haven't used a Ronco but I just looked at it online. This is another dehydrator like the American Snackmaker that you will only be able to dehydrate things like veggie, fruit and meats. If you want to make things like dehydratored crackers, breads or anything else might start in a liquidy form rather than a solid - you will need a Telfex sheet or wax paper to hold the liquid do it doesn't drip through the holes while you dehydrate.

So, it really depends on what you want to dehydrate also and how much dehydrating you will be doing, I have been doing alot of dehydrating lately making crackers and breads and nut cheez so the bigger one I have is excellent for me.

I would assume the Roncos work OK but they appear to be limited and probably not as high powered (meaning that it might take longer for you items to dehydrate) as an Excalibur or other more powerful dehydrators. Square-ish shaped dehydrators that have trays that have the fan in the back dehydrate all the items more evenly than one that has it at the bottom. You never have to rotate trays in a good dehydrator.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I think with the Ronco, and the American Snackmaker, you can't put an entire meal in there. whenever i had made stuff like the carrot and parsnip fettucini with the portobello and grape tomato topping mix, I'd just put it all in a bowl and then stick in the Excalibur.

Excaliburs are quite a bit more expensive, but you can find them at ebay and other cheaper places. I got mine for around $50 from a friend. Places like Craigslist, freecycle may be good to look, too.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Thanks for the input on the Ronco and Snackmasters. I'm not entirely raw, but I do love flat breads and nut cheeses. I'll save money for an Excalibur. It may be a while, but it will be worth it!

·
Banned
97 Posts
I recommend talking to this guy - http://rawlovers.com/Dehydrators.htm

Or go to that site and search "dehydrator" in his amazon.com search and you will find dehydrators for as low as 40$. Be sure to click thourhg his amazon link though so he gets commission as an affiliate, he is a good friend.

He has a raw food forum I'm on too if anyone's interested - http://www.rawlovers.com/forum His name is Narz, mine is the cacao kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts