VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a dehydrator so I can make fruit leather but don't know if I should go with a microwave tray (I'm not even sure how that would work) or an actual dehydration machine. Does anyone have any experiences or opinions they'd like to share (on either microwave vs. machine or even brand vs. brand)? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you and take care.

Most kindly,

Dawn

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yes! I'm researching dehydrators too currently. I do it because of raw foodism, so I have not considered a microwave version. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Dehydrators (the actual appliances) are quite pricey!! But I think they are worth the investition? I too would like to hear experiences from folks with dehydrators!

Here is a site I found BTW:

http://www.gogreen.org/

This one gets good reviews at amazon.com. It's compared to other models on the site. But beware, the site actually tries to sell you one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oatmeal,

Yes, there's something I keep running into called a Quick Minute Microwave Dehydrator, though I haven't the fainest idea how well it works (though for someone who's both tight on cash and kitchen storage the Quick Minute sounds like a terrific solution - so I've got my fingers crossed that it gets a good review from our fellow messageboard go-ers
). BTW, in case you haven't checked it out yet, eBay had a good number of brand new dehydrating machines (likely unwanted wedding gifts lol). Just an FYI. Be well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a dehydrator. What I don't like about mine, is I cannot control the temperature. It only has one setting- ON. So, alot of my herbs do not work in it. I do dehydrate tomatoes, onions, spinach, and peppers in it. things with alot of water content seems to work well in the dehydrator.

My herbs, which are more fragile, I dehydrate in the microwave between paper towels.

you can dehydrate in the oven also, if your oven will go down to 95-100 degrees. But that's a long time for your oven to run.

anyways, that's been my experience with the drying process.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like my dehydrator. It's an oldie, but it works. I dry herbs when they start getting old (plus organic dry herbs are so dang expensive, it's nice to be able to dry the fresh I buy and not have to throw out what I wasn't able to use).

I also dry fruit. Drying strawberries makes the whole house smell delicious! I've dried beets too to make my own powdered red food coloring

It's good for all those veggies that start getting old. If you dry them and store them, you can always make instant soup mixes! Add them to anything really, to intensify flavor. Or grind them into powders and add nutritional yeast to make your own vegetable broth powders or even seasoning mixes by adding spices, etc.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Dehydrators are awesome! So w/ tomatoes does that make them like sundried tomatoes??

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Thanks for the ebay tip daybreak6876, indeed they have some good deals there!

Yeah I guess a temperature control is important. Any more tips?

Does anyone have a dehydrator where you can buy extra sheets - if so, is this a useful feature?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts