VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get paid tomorrow and I'm seriously considering buying a dehydrator.

So tempt me (if it's something you'd recommend) what's everyone's favourite things to do with one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
I LOVE my dehydrator!! I make pizza crust, wraps, crackers, cookies, kale chips, fruit chips, tea leaves, fruit leather, vegan jerky, raw soups and on and on...

I'm just chowing down on my herb'n'flax crackers topped with avacado and sun dried tomato, at the moment.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
I also LOVE my dehydrator. I've made flax crackers, dried fruit, lots of kale chips, strawberry-coconut macaroons, buckwheat biscuits, etc.

Paisley Jane, I would love your recipe for vegan jerkey, if you have it. Thanks!

I say definitely buy a dehydrator. Store bought raw food is very expensive and never as good as homemade. That thing will pay for itself in no time at all. If you're looking for an Excalibur, I found the best prices on their own website and they let you make payments, too (my sister got hers that way).

Laura
 

·
Beanitarian
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I thought I NEEDED one in the worst way. I got one and went nuts drying everything under the sun.

Most of it was inedible and the rest just took waaaaaaaaay too much energy to bother. I calculated the cost of a few things and it really was cheaper to just buy it. I have, I think 8 trays, but still it takes forever just to dry a small amount of food. Apple chips for example--you have to cut the apple sooooo thin it takes up a ton of space in the dehydrator, plus hours and hours to dry.

I also tried to make a solar one but it took several days to dry stuff (humid climate) and by then it spoiled.

Sorry to be the wet blanket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
For a serious raw foodist, you should get a dehydrator. Otherwise, you can just get great quality dehydrated raw foods from online stores. Everything is available online, but if you want to be able to do it yourself, then you can have the option. I love making my own dehydrated mango slices.

Natalie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Is it worth it to buy a dehydrator if I'm not a rawist?
Not really. It's really for serious raw foodists. Even then, it's not necessary. Because you can always buy a variety of dehydrated raw foods online for a reasonable price. I have one, but I still buy a lot of dehydrated raw foods online.

Natalie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was most tempted to buy one because the 'processed' raw foods in Wholefoods here are extraordinarily expensive. I don't really need one at all, but I might still get one next month when I have a bit more money. They look like fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I was most tempted to buy one because the 'processed' raw foods in Wholefoods here are extraordinarily expensive. I don't really need one at all, but I might still get one next month when I have a bit more money. They look like fun
That's why you shouldn't get your dehydrated raw foods at stores like wholefoods. Sure, they might have what you need, but there's better online health food stores that cater to raw foodists and vegans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrothgarden View Post

That's why you shouldn't get your dehydrated raw foods at stores like wholefoods. Sure, they might have what you need, but there's better online health food stores that cater to raw foodists and vegans.
The online shops I've looked at seem even more expensive than Wholefoods, but I'll have a search


I also just really like making my own food, I can make it how I want it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Is it worth it to buy a dehydrator if I'm not a rawist?
My husband and I use ours a lot and we are not 100% raw. Pineapple is fantastic dehydrated. We dry a lot of fruit over the summer--peaches, nectarines, plums, strawberries, watermelon thinly sliced with lemon juice drizzled on it. I also like it for soaking walnuts and then drying them. They taste fantastic. I also make "instant soup mix" with dehydrated veggies--asparagus, carrots, red peppers, peas, onions, garlic--which is great for travel then all we need is warm water--hot water if you're not raw.

Cookies are wonderful--very tasty served warm from the dehydrator.

I guess I always feel like a squirrel saving nuts for the winter, lol. I know the squirrel part is true for sure, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I love my food dehydrator. I buy fruit and veggies in mass when they're on sale, and I freeze some for smoothies and dry the rest for snacks. I am not a rawist, but I love trying different things when I find a fun recipe. Right now I'm making garlic red leaf lettuce chips, I make tofu jerky (I know, not helpful on the rawist page), and fruits galore!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
I used to make tons of dried tomatoes and fruit leather in mine (it's currently not in the same country as I am, unfortunately). It's great, but it depends on how much you'd actually use it. I planned on using it way more than I did. But I'm hoping once I get settled somewhere (in about 2.5 years), get a CSA, maybe grow some of my own things, too, I'll be able to use it more.

Yally, how often do you see yourself using it? I have no idea how much things cost at Whole Foods, but say it's 4 pounds (sorry I don't have the pound sterling symbol on my computer) for a bag of dried fruit, and 50 pounds for a dehydrator. 13 bags of dried fruit will equal the cost of the dehydrator. If fruit is 2 pounds (money) per, uh, pound (lb) and one bag of dried fruit is half an lb worth of fresh fruit, that's 1 lb of fresh = a bag. So you'll end up getting a lot more for your money, but only in the long term. You also have to factor in the time it takes to prep and then dehydrate the fruit.

It's a great investment if you'll use it regularly for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

But I'm hoping once I get settled somewhere (in about 2.5 years), get a CSA, maybe grow some of my own things, too, I'll be able to use it more.
We're in a CSA, and my boyfriend is starting his own market garden as well, and selling organic veggies to the local co-op. I am excited to dehydrate the onslaught of kale I will have this summer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

I used to make tons of dried tomatoes and fruit leather in mine (it's currently not in the same country as I am, unfortunately). It's great, but it depends on how much you'd actually use it. I planned on using it way more than I did. But I'm hoping once I get settled somewhere (in about 2.5 years), get a CSA, maybe grow some of my own things, too, I'll be able to use it more.

Yally, how often do you see yourself using it? I have no idea how much things cost at Whole Foods, but say it's 4 pounds (sorry I don't have the pound sterling symbol on my computer) for a bag of dried fruit, and 50 pounds for a dehydrator. 13 bags of dried fruit will equal the cost of the dehydrator. If fruit is 2 pounds (money) per, uh, pound (lb) and one bag of dried fruit is half an lb worth of fresh fruit, that's 1 lb of fresh = a bag. So you'll end up getting a lot more for your money, but only in the long term. You also have to factor in the time it takes to prep and then dehydrate the fruit.

It's a great investment if you'll use it regularly for a long time.
You're pretty much bang on in the costing. So the dehydrator I'm looking at is £50, all the raw snack foods in Wholefoods are £5 for a really small amount. The cost of the ingredients is pretty low. I think it could be worth it as long as I use it, but I'm going to leave it for the time being. I'm not sure I have the space for it. If I still want it in a month or two, it's not an impulse, it's something I really want
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top