VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that people that eat raw food dehydrate lots of foods.... to make "meatballs", bread, etc. That's DIFFERENT!!!

How many of you have one and what do you make with it?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
i have the 4-tray excalibur. i'd definitely get a 9-tray instead.

i've made crackers, cookies, crepes, chips, stuffing, warmed up pasta and other foods. i've made pizza, wraps, guacamole stuffed portobello mushrooms, pesto stuffed mushrooms, coconut macaroons, brownies.

lots and lots.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i've made crackers, cookies, crepes, chips, stuffing, warmed up pasta and other foods. i've made pizza, wraps, guacamole stuffed portobello mushrooms, pesto stuffed mushrooms, coconut macaroons, brownies.

lots and lots.
Isn't that sort of "cooking" the food????? is it really raw????

·
Registered
39 Posts
I probably would have brought one if I'd had enough money, but I'm glad I didn't as I'm enjoing eating fresh ripe raw fruits and veg. I do own and blender though, which is great for making soupie/smothie things with greens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I probably would have brought one if I'd had enough money, but I'm glad I didn't as I'm enjoing eating fresh ripe raw fruits and veg. I do own and blender though, which is great for making soupie/smothie things with greens.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
I nearly bought one because a lot of recipes looked so yummy in the Raw recipe books I have.

But it just doesn't seem natural. And I ended up not buying one and I'm really glad with my decision.

I think raw should be simple. Which is also why I do not bother with sprouting. Sprouting means you have to spend your life looking after your sprouts - like if you're out at work all day, and want to go to the movies afterwards and then maybe to a restaurant, you can't, because your sprouts need looking after!!!

I like my life to be as simple as possible.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
What in world are you on about, Diana?

I sprout AND I have time for my work, doctor's appointments, social life and anything else I want/need to do in my life. It's not like I have to STAND over my sprouts all day before they'll do anything.

Thanks for the laugh though, Diana. I really needed it today.

BBTT: I have a dehydrator, but it runs at too high of a temprature to be considered raw (it dehydrates at 150*). I'd like to get an Excaliber 9 tray but right now, that's out of my budget's reach. HOWEVER, I'm thinking if I do get into dehydrating, I'll either make one with the plans that I found in the "raw and living foods" thread or use my oven set at low settings IF it can get low enough (some ovens can, some can't).

Jenna: you make coconut macroons?
I would so love the recipe to that, if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post

Isn't that sort of "cooking" the food????? is it really raw????
I guess it could seem like cooking because with the more indepth recipes there's a lot of preparation. Some of the more indepth ones take a while in the dehydrator and have many steps (i.e. strawberry crepes). It all stays well below the cooking temperature, though. I've never put the dehydrator above 115.

It is all raw; it's just all mushed or mixed together to create a dish.

I haven't used my excalibur dehydrator in months, though. I stick to pretty simple eating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

lots and lots.
Jenna,

Any recipes YOU enjoy for a dehydrator newbie? I've been doing apples, pears, and peppers with luck. My bananas are terrible though.

What's your secret?

·
Registered
278 Posts
My parents have a dehydrator and I want to use it, but we can't find the manual. So I have no idea how often to rotate the trays or anything. Maybe you all could help me out? It's a 6 tray dehydrator I believe.

Also, do any of you know any sites I could go to for raw vegan recipes? (using the dehydrator or not).

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just have a Ronco food dehydrater that has no temp setting, no on/off switch, just a cord. I'm cheap. I can't wait to try a new flax cracker recipe I found this morning while I was supposed to be in class though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yum, I want to make raw crackers.

I tried to find raw vegan recipes online without much luck. I don't like it when a raw vegan site gives recipes with honey in them.

We should have a thread for people to share raw recipes. Anyone with me on that one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

I just have a Ronco food dehydrater that has no temp setting, no on/off switch, just a cord. I'm cheap. I can't wait to try a new flax cracker recipe I found this morning while I was supposed to be in class though.
Be careful if you want your food to be raw. I borrowed my sister's old dehydrator (she's had it for years and never used it) that has just a cord, no switches, no settings. I found out that the operating temp is 145F. That's too high for raw foods; it'll cook it. It works well for meat-eaters' foods like jerky & such, but not for veggies and fruits.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.