VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plugged all of my foods for the last two days into Fitday.com and I am definitely not consuming enough calories and protein.

Yesterday, I only ate 900 calories and about 30 grams of protein. I am quite active, I lift weights, run, ride a dirtbike, snowboard, etc... I just do not want to eat beans every.single.day.

I keep hearing about Quinoa, but I live in a very rural area and have not been able to find this.

Should I add a protein shake smoothie to my diet?

What other ways do you supplement protein into your diet.

Also, how can I make sure I consume enough calories?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Protein supplements (powders you can add to your own shakes, soups, smoothies, pasta sauces, etc, you can even make your own protein bars and "ice creams") seem to work quite well for some people. I'm not really a fan of them myself, I tried them out when I was very active but they weren't really my thing. They are much more versatile than just the shakes, and some people seem to really like them.

Myself I go for nuts, which are also great for adding extra calories and healthful fats, sprinkle them on lasagne, nibble on them as snacks, make nut loaves out of them. Also legumes and whole grains are a great way to boost protein. Even simple snacks like peanut butter sandwiches (a meal that is a whole grain and legume blend giving you all your essential amino acids) can be a great source of this macro nutrient.

Then there's always the meat substitutes, but they are pricey and may be hard to get in a rural area, but can be interesting for a change. Then there is always the old stand by tofu. If it's not easily available locally and fresh you can buy it in larger batches frozen, or even in long-life packs, and just stock up when it is available.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldpullen View Post

Yesterday, I only ate 900 calories and about 30 grams of protein. I am quite active, I lift weights, run, ride a dirtbike, snowboard, etc...
You got some very good advice from Kiz already.

I'd like to add some good news: Your current diet is not too low in protein (looks roughly 13% of your calorie intake, 8-11% is usu. recommended). The bad news is, as you already suspected: It's (scaringly) low in calories, not just for your active lifestyle but for any - even a sedentary (sp?) - lifestyle. Your calorie need to keep your body functioning also depends e. g. on your body weight and sex, but 1500 calories is the number not to fall below of for a longer time - even if you were overweight and trying to lose a few pounds! The recommended calories even for sendentary people are mostly 2000/women and 2500/men.

Considering that you are getting 30 g of protein in 900 calories now, which is not a too low percentage, you would actually get fairly enough protein if you were eating larger quantities of what you're eating now.

So you would have to focus on calories/quantities rather than "supplementing" protein.

Quote:

Focussing on nutrient-dense foods like nuts and nut butters is always a good idea. You may also want to stay away a bit from big salads / snacking crudités and the like (in spite of the vitamins), because these can fill you up quickly but are very low in calories.

With your active lifestyle, you'd normally feel very hungry if trying to survive on 900 calories for a longer time, and if you listened to your body, you'd almost automatically eat more.

If you're not feeling hungry, or if you are, but simply can't get yourself to eat more, please seek advice from a health professional.

Since I don't even know if the two days you analyzed on fitday.com are representative of your average diet, and for how long you've been eating like that, I'm not claiming you're on the verge of an ED or anything. 900 calories is frightening in any case though, and you're on a good path having realized that your current diet needs an improvement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even if you cannot find the foods you're looking for in your local grocery, you can always order things online. Do a search for the product you're trying to buy, and you'll be able to find many places where you can order it. You should definitely order some quinoa - it's really tasty!

I also think those calorie counts we always see for sedentary people are sorta high...I am pretty much completely sedentary these days, and there is no way I could eat 2000 calories a day and not gain weight. I generally have about 1200 and that keeps me at the same weight. Of course, with heavy exercise, 2500+ (for a woman) is very reasonable.

I personally haven't been too impressed with protein shakes. They're expensive and generally filled with ingredients I cannot pronounce. I'd rather get the protein I need through whole foods that are also packed with other nutrients. However, if you have absolutely no idea how to get more protein, and/or you cannot spend much time preparing food, then it's better to take them than not.

I am betting that your workout results would be a lot better if you ate more. You can't starve your muscles and expect to get the strength and size gains you would if you ate sufficient food. Be sure to eat a high-protein snack or small meal after your workouts, too, and don't go to bed hungry. Muscle is a metabolic luxury that your body begins to break down as soon as it thinks food is scarce.

I hope that you figure out a diet that works properly for you. Good luck

·
Registered
684 Posts
I like hummus and mushrooms for protein, personally.

Be careful with consuming too much soy, it can inhibit iron absorption.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Quote:

I plugged all of my foods for the last two days into Fitday.com and I am definitely not consuming enough calories and protein.

Yesterday, I only ate 900 calories and about 30 grams of protein. I am quite active, I lift weights, run, ride a dirtbike, snowboard, etc... I just do not want to eat beans every.single.day.

I keep hearing about Quinoa, but I live in a very rural area and have not been able to find this.

Should I add a protein shake smoothie to my diet?

What other ways do you supplement protein into your diet.

It sounds to me like the problem is a lack of calories, not specifically protein. You consumed 30 g protein for 900 calories, if you doubled your calories to 1800 you would be getting 60 g of protein which is plenty. You are probably deficient in all your nutrients due to a general calorie deficiency!

I'm not sure what I can say about increasing calories, as my problem tends to be eating too much, not too little! Smoothies are a good choice, I make mine with soymilk, frozen berries, bananas, and ground flaxseed for the omega 3s. Like Kiz said, nuts are a great choice if you want to increase calories and protein - I stock up on nuts from Trader Joe's and grab them frequently for a quick snack. Nut butters are another great idea. And I almost always have a tub of hummus in the house, it's easy to make and you can make it in nice big quantities rather than spending $4 for a tiny tub of it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it!

I was also shocked at the amount of calories I am eating. I have met with a nutritionist before who told me that for my height and weight I need about 1400 calories a day. I still think that 900 calories is WAY too low.

The problem I am experiencing is that I am not hungry. I think that I am getting a lot more fiber than I used to so I am getting fuller faster.

I find myself sauteeing veggies instead of picking up a bag of chips. I am considerably more full from the veggies with a calorie impact of 100 or less.

I think it might be worth visiting a vegan friendly nutritionist.

Thanks again for the advice. It is all duly noted. Keep it coming!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful View Post

I'm not sure what I can say about increasing calories, as my problem tends to be eating too much, not too little!
same here!
I really can't relate to this problem at ALL. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts