VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Argh. The first paragraph:

Quote:
What do animal-rights advocates believe?

That all creatures, from slugs to swans, deserve exactly the same rights, privileges, and dignity as human beings. The 13-word mission statement of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the best known and best funded of the movements many groups, sums it up: Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment.
Yup, I'm all for the slugs' right to vote and also I support gay swan-marriages...

The rest of it is just as inaccurate.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
whoa, these AR people are so extreme! i'm glad i don't know any of those extremists. wait... there's a button on my bag... it says.. make my day... go vegetarian...? what?? noooo, arghrghr! they've taken over!! NNOOOoooo........

·
Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oatmeal

Yup, I'm all for the slugs' right to vote and also I support gay swan-marriages...

The rest of it is just as inaccurate.
lol

im with you oatmeal !

yes for slugs to vote and gay swan marriages !

Those people wud probaly think asking for a veggie dog instead of a meat one is like frikin illegal

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Has this idea been influential?

More than most people realize. Over the past two decades, animal-rights activists have steadily lowered the threshold of what society sees as unnecessary cruelty. Since 1990, for instance, statewide animal-rights ballot initiatives have passed 24 out of 38 times, outlawing everything from cockfighting to the use of steel-jawed hunting traps. Many young women today wouldnt even consider wearing a chinchilla or mink coat; in just one recent year, U.S. fur sales dropped by 9.5 percent. Attitudes toward animal research have also changed.
What's inaccurate about that ?

Quote:
If public opinion is any indication, the animal-rights movement will continue to gain ground. In May, a Gallup Poll found that 96 percent of Americans believe animals deserve some protection from harm and exploitation. A surprising 25 percent said that animals deserved the exact same rights as people.
Looks good to me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"Yup, I'm all for the slugs' right to vote"

---------------------

Not only am I in total favour of slug voting rights ... but slugs should have the option for running for president. I mean, all you Americans deserve a smarter president don't you ;-)

hehhheh (no offense to the slugs was intended in the preceeding)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Outside of the mentioning of slugs, what was so innacurate about this article? Granted, the people who wrote it probably aren't pro-ar, but they didn't let this view slip through too much. I actually found the statements about the fact that the AR movement has been gaining ground and will probably continue to gain ground quite encouraging.

Perhaps the mentioning of the criminal acts of ALF wasn't flattering, but it certainly was not bull.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Couple of things:

IMO there is no one AR movement with "one strategy". I support PeTA, but AR encompasses much more than PeTA in my view.

Or, anybody who is saying that AR exists since 1973, obviously has not heard of Pythagoras, Plutarch, DaVinci, and others. I respect Peter Singer a lot, but he was not the first smart man to think about animals and the way we (should) treat them.

I admit however that at this point I stopped reading the page, so I have no idea if the rest is accurate or not. I assumed not.

Nevertheless, the very first sentence (the one about the "exactly same rights") is so outrageously wrong, that it alone makes me want the page to disappear forever.

My 2 cents, peace.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.