VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

new here. recently i saw a man hitting a dog with a leash. i went up and told him that's considered animal abuse and it's against the law to beat an animal. he said some choice words then fled. i had no chance to call authorities, but felt compelled to confront him.

just today while on the beach i saw a kid with a really big horse-shoe crab in his toy net. he and his friends placed it far from the shore, onto dry sand. having recently worked in the ny aquarium, specifically with these animals, i know they need to be able to get back into the water, or placed into the water. they can literally dry out and die otherwise. the kids also had smaller crabs in a pail. i went up to them in front of their moms and told them politely that horse-shoe crabs needed to be treated carefull, and placed back in or near the water. i said i had worked with such animals, and knew they did not intend harm, but the crab was still in danger. the kids placed the crab back in the water. i'm glad i confronted them as well. i wasn't rude or forceful, but it's always uncomfortable in these situations. many people seemt o have no regard for animal life and look at you as if you are just out of your mind for defending creatures who are not human. what do others do in similar circumstances?
LL

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Best we can do is give the facts and let the humans make their own decisions. I mean, some people would rather make choices for people, even though they haven't been appointed as that person's legal or political representative, but I don't think that's acceptable in real life... only in the Nation States game.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi! Actually I have had the "pleasure" of doing things like this pretty often. The last BIG time it happened, my husband and I were picnicing at a little city park in Yukon, Oklahoma. It just so happened that a feed mill was right around the corner from this mill..... well, while we were eating we noticed a man start running out of the mill. Then we noticed what he was running after-- a bird. The man caught up with the bird and then stomped it to death. We both started screaming and running towards him, but he didn't hear us and after he had killed the bird he ran back to the mill. By the time we got there, we were too late. So we started taking pictures of the bird and of the mill, and while we were doing this the man came out and started confronting us. He kept asking me "what are you doing, what's the problem here". We were really new in the whole animal-rights scene, and I was a little scared of this guy, so I just said "it's not right to kill birds, and our problem is you." and we drove away.

My husband wrote an essay about it, and we submitted that and our pics to the local paper. It took over a month but we finally got the story in the paper although it was really twisted around to look like the mill worker had done the bird a favor.

Because the bird was a common grackle, it was not a protected song bird and there was nothing we could do about prosecuting the guy. Not that we didn't try!! PETA called both the paper and the mill (about helping them set up a humane solution to keeping birds out of the grain) and I called several lawyers who did pro bono work in animal rights for help. I spent alot of time in the county courthouse trying to find a loophole in the law, so that we could get him convicted of something, anything. In the end, we did get some customers to agree not to go to that mill anymore.

On the up-side, we got lots of people into helping animals- we really raised awareness in our town. Some people took us seriously, and for every person who laughed at us or was angry, there was another person who stood behind us.

Ruth

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
make choices for others. if i could make a choice for a person abusing or mistreating any other living creature, i would. i do think when a person like the kids i mentioned, have no malice intended, and also had done no harm yet, that offering information is the best thing to do. however for the man i saw beating his dog, if he had not run off, i would have called the authorities on him. i don't mean that we need to dictate to others in most areas of life, but where anyone, animal or human is being hurt, i think we must act to the extent that we can. not everyone is stable, especially someone who would abuse an animal, so it's not always wise to confront someone. in that case there can still be options, such as calling those who have the means and authority to do so. the line at the end of my messages, by hillel, is something i take to heart. i do appreciate your opinion though, so thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asha2003

many people seemt o have no regard for animal life and look at you as if you are just out of your mind for defending creatures who are not human. what do others do in similar circumstances?
Pretty much the same as you did. Give the facts and make people aware.

I'm with Epski - we can't decide for them, but we can sure help them decide

I don't think reporting someone to the authrorities is the same as making a decision for them - - if they are breaking the law (animal abuse) then it's our responsibility as citizens to report them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts